EVGA

Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?)

Author
spidey111
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2012/09/15 09:44:29 (permalink)
Hey there,

First-time poster, so apologies in advance if my forum etiquette is newb-ish.

Last week I came home to find my computer off.  I had left it running (it's always on, in fact), so that in and of itself was odd.  

When I turned it back on, the LED Code came up as "--", and the computer did not POST.  I've done some research on here and found a few threads that say to reset the CMOS, put a stick of RAM in the far right slot, etc, but nothing has worked.  At this point, I'm thinking I have a dead mobo.    I haven't been able to get in touch with EVGA Support yet, so that's the last best hope at this point for this machine, unless anyone has suggestions on things I may not have tried at this point.

If the mobo truly is dead, well, it's had a good run (5 years).  I don't mind upgrading at this point.  Question is, to what?  Here's what I'm currently rockin':

680i mobo
Core2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz
4GB RAM
EVGA 8600GTS

I've looked on PassMark's site and compared my processor to the current crop out there, and it looks like the best bang for my buck is either the i5 2500 series or the i7 2600 series.  There's about a $100 price difference right now between those two series, so All Things Being Equal over the next 5 years, I just get the i7, right?

The part that I could really use some help on is the new motherboard.  I looked at all of the 1155 socket-approved EVGA boards, and quite frankly, I don't see much difference.  Is there any one board in particular that I should be looking at?

Since I'm not a gamer, the graphics card doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, so I'll just pick up whatever.

Then I would hope to be able to reuse the case, hard drive, and power supply.  I have a Thermaltake Armor series Full Tower case (again, which motherboards will fit this?)  and a OCZ 700w SLI-ready PSU.

So anyway, that's where I'm at.  Either I figure out how to resolve the "--" code, or I build a new machine.  Please let me know what you think.  Thanks!

- Pete

18 Replies Related Threads

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/09/15 10:05:38 (permalink)

Do you have a floppy drive attached to it? I used to have a 680i long ago. I remember reading that a Floppy drive can cause that issue. If you still have a problem, we can troubleshoot it further.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    spidey111
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/09/15 10:14:27 (permalink)
    Hey there Xray!

Nope, no floppy drive attached.  Just an old DVD/CD drive that needs to be retired at this point.

The only thing that I've seen on here that I really haven't tried is replacing the graphics card.  But that would mean buying a card, and if it didn't fix the problem, then I'm stuck with a nice new card and no machine to use it on.  I guess I could go buy and, try it, and return it?  Just seems inefficient, but if enough of you think it's worth doing, I guess I'm up for it.

Thanks again for the quick response!

- Pete
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/09/15 10:24:04 (permalink)

There were 4 other possible scenarios why the board display would show (--)

1. PSU problems
    2. Grounding problems
    3. Faulty mobo
    4. Dead battery

Take the Motherboard out, and put on cardboard. Just put in the basic things. Power supply, Video card, one stick of Ram in the first slot, Monitor, Keyboard, and mouse. Turn it on, and see if you still get that error. If you get a different error, let me know. BTW, if you have more than one stick of Ram, try each one individually in the first slot to rule out a bad memory stick. Post back when this is all done, and we can go from there.

Going to see Batman Dark Night Rises with my Son in a little bit, but will be back this afternoon. Good luck, and I will be back to see how it went.

&nbsp
    spidey111
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/09/15 12:08:02 (permalink)
    Xray,

Ok, I'm going to have to break out the work table and do all this disassembling/re-asssembling.  I'll try to take some pictures as I go along in the process and post them along with my findings.  

I actually have 6 sticks of RAM.  I started out with two sticks, and then replaced those with four last year.  All six should be working, and yes I have cycled all of them through Slot 1 during my previous tests.  It's worth doing again, I suppose.

Enjoy the movie!  I think you'll both enjoy it.

- Pete
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/09/15 18:30:53 (permalink)
    spidey111

Xray,

Ok, I'm going to have to break out the work table and do all this disassembling/re-asssembling.  I'll try to take some pictures as I go along in the process and post them along with my findings.  

I actually have 6 sticks of RAM.  I started out with two sticks, and then replaced those with four last year.  All six should be working, and yes I have cycled all of them through Slot 1 during my previous tests.  It's worth doing again, I suppose.

- Pete

Ok I'm back. Yes the movie was good. Anyway, you really don't need to test all the sticks of ram again. Post back, and let me know if the problem went away or not after doing what I stated above. BTW, do you have a lifetime warranty on that board. Unless it wasn't registered within 30 days or something. I'll check back here to see how it went. You can also PM me after you have posted back here.

&nbsp
    lordraptor1
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3682
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/09/15 18:46:38 (permalink)
    XrayMan

spidey111

Xray,

- Pete

Ok I'm back. Yes the movie was good. Anyway, you really don't need to test all the sticks of ram again. Post back, and let me know if the problem went away or not after doing what I stated above. BTW, do you have a lifetime warranty on that board. Unless it wasn't registered within 30 days or something. I'll check back here to see how it went. You can also PM me after you have posted back here.

bad thing is even if you do have lifetime warranty there arent any 680i or 780i mobos for rma.  i just recently had to rma my 680i due to a blown cap (which is all that was wrong with it and i gotta say i already miss it). 

i am offended by your sig so you need to remove it. 

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/09/15 20:02:21 (permalink)
    lordraptor1

bad thing is even if you do have lifetime warranty there arent any 680i or 780i mobos for rma.  i just recently had to rma my 680i due to a blown cap (which is all that was wrong with it and i gotta say i already miss it). 

What are they giving back in return for those? The 790i?

&nbsp
    spidey111
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/09/16 07:39:27 (permalink)
    Ok, here's where we're at (see attached file).  The white flat surface under the equipment is insulation board (Styrofoam).

After having pulled everything out and plugging everything in, I get a different response now.  The PSU is pushing power to the board, because I can see the lights turn on, but the fans don't spin anymore on the PSU or the processor, and there is no LED code whatsoever.  This seems more dead than before!  I'm obviously doing something wrong....

- Pete
    post edited by spidey111 - 2012/09/16 07:49:06

Attached Image(s)

lordraptor1
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/09/16 09:57:52 (permalink)
    spidey111

Ok, here's where we're at (see attached file).  The white flat surface under the equipment is insulation board (Styrofoam).

After having pulled everything out and plugging everything in, I get a different response now.  The PSU is pushing power to the board, because I can see the lights turn on, but the fans don't spin anymore on the PSU or the processor, and there is no LED code whatsoever.  This seems more dead than before!  I'm obviously doing something wrong....

- Pete

get it off the styrofoam thats not really a good thing to use since styrofoam conducts static electricity (place it on a wood surface like a counter top).

now with it out of the case i would suggest the following troubleshooting steps.

1. press on the bios chip to make sure its seated (i have seen this correct -- AND instant FF before)
    2. power up board with nothing but the cpu in it when it errors note post code, shut down and add another component, repeat until it boots or --
    3. have the power supply tested to make sure it is actually supplying the voltage its suppose to be
    4. rma

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/09/16 10:41:39 (permalink)
    lordraptor1

get it off the styrofoam thats not really a good thing to use since styrofoam conducts static electricity (place it on a wood surface like a counter top).

now with it out of the case i would suggest the following troubleshooting steps.

1. press on the bios chip to make sure its seated (i have seen this correct -- AND instant FF before)
    2. power up board with nothing but the cpu in it when it errors note post code, shut down and add another component, repeat until it boots or --
    3. have the power supply tested to make sure it is actually supplying the voltage its suppose to be
    4. rma

I agree with this. Get it off that styrofoam. Do the suggestions he made. Let us know how it goes.

&nbsp
    lordraptor1
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/09/16 13:02:00 (permalink)
    also a cardboard box or a flat piece of cardboard will work.

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/09/19 07:38:14 (permalink)
    while your at it check the board over for blown capacitors, that would also be a cause of -- post. if they are blown you will have few options, you can either replace them (really not that hard if you can solder) RMA, provided you have the lifetime warranty or upgrade if you got the extra coin to do so.  

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    lordraptor1
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/09/19 08:45:18 (permalink)
    quadlatte

while your at it check the board over for blown capacitors, that would also be a cause of -- post. if they are blown you will have few options, you can either replace them (really not that hard if you can solder) RMA, provided you have the lifetime warranty or upgrade if you got the extra coin to do so.  

depends on what cap really i just had to rma mine due to a blown cap and it wouldnt even power up.  also when i rmaed mine there were no 680i or 780i mobos available so if it does come to rma now would be the time to upgrade to a new system based on one of the new intel chipsets ;)

spidey111
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/11/12 09:35:49 (permalink)
    Hey All,

Ok, I'm back to this project.  

1.  I have removed the Styrofoam per your suggestions.  
    2.  I pressed down on the BIOS chip to check for a seating issue.  It didn't budge one way or the other.
    3.  I have checked the board for blown caps.  I don't see any.

I'll post some pics of the board (both on and off) after this quick message.  Thanks again!

- Pete

Attached Image(s)

spidey111
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/11/12 10:32:31 (permalink)
    Photos as promised!

Attached Image(s)

spidey111
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/11/12 10:34:19 (permalink)
    ...and a few more.

Attached Image(s)

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/11/12 10:51:24 (permalink)
    Well, since you said this unit runs all the time im gonna say the psu is the most likely culprit. Unless you dont clean your rig ever and let it clog with dust and overheat, im not convinced its the mobo yet. do you have another psu you can try a very basic setup with? that would bring your focus back to the actual board. the picts, from what i can tell, nothing looks suspect....to me anyway.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re:Help with 680i LED Code: "--" (Read: is it time to upgrade?) 2012/11/12 21:02:32 (permalink)
    When you said "pulled everything out and plugging everything in", that included the CPU too, right?.
    Try another PSU or go buy a cheap DVOM like this for about 10 bones (auto parts store, Walmart, wherever.) and test yours.. Disconnect PSU from everything, jumper PS_ON# to any COM (ground) to turn it on and check all the power and all the ground terminals per the pinout diagram for the 24-pin and 4/8-pin connector(s)..If everything seems OK, then RMA the board.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile