2019/11/18 07:35:33
kevinc313
MadmanRB
Well in the case of both the Ryzen 9 3900X and the 3950X I do think AMD has good justification of the price more then intel does.

Remember the 3900X is a 12 core 24 thread processor so it makes sense why its $500
I can also justify the cost of the 3950X as well as both of these kinds of core and thread counts are locked on intels enthusiast grade hardware whereas the 3950X is actually on a mainstream platform this making the incentive to buy it very appealing.
Then there is the 3950X which at $750 but that is pennies compared to intels offerings.
This is pretty much the same thing that happened when AMD launched the 1800X, again its launch price was pretty high at $500
It was easy to compare it to the price point on the losing side when talking about games compared to the 8700K but again it was (true) 8 core 16 thread processor for the mainstream.
Its practically the same situation with the 3950X, its price is insane for mainsteream but is a total steal for enthusiast grade processors.
The big issue right now of intel is that they have a supply issue and cant mark down the higher end stuff.
AMD is really being good at taking this opportunity here.

Obviously the "AMD stomps Intel" meme is quite a bit overblown.  The i9-9960x was just on closeout for $799, it's very close to the 3950X.  The i9-10960X will be out shortly for around $850-900 and will match or beat the 3950X.  The 9900k and 9900ks still beat them both in high FPS gaming.  

AMD has released some competitive processors, but they are no real threat to Intel.
2019/11/18 07:46:12
MadmanRB
kevinc313

Obviously the "AMD stomps Intel" meme is quite a bit overblown.  The i9-9960x was just on closeout for $799, it's very close to the 3950X.  The i9-10960x will be out shortly for around $850-900 and will match or beat the X3950.  The 9900k and 9900ks still beat them both in high FPS gaming.  

AMD has released some competitive processors, but they are no real treat to Intel.

You sure about that?
If I were intel I would take AMD very seriously
Yes AMD isnt the powerhouse that Intel is but that doesnt mean that they cant compete with intel.
Only arrogance and blind loyalty would make one think this.
A giant can fall easily, yes AMD is a small fish and Intel seems like a great white shark but that doesnt mean Intel cant choke on AMD's leftovers.
AMD is already gaining back a lot of ground they lost thanks to Ryzen, they have become a major rival in the server section with Epyc.
Its easy to get blinded when the 9900K runs at 150 FPS in a game that can only run at 140FPS on a AMD machine but then it should be a wake up call when that rival processor isnt the Ryzen 9 3900X but the 3700X and that 3700X is cheaper by $150 or so.
Its nice and easy to brag you have the cream of the crop but at the same time the competition is not as far behind as you think.
No prize for second place? I have to put that into question.

2019/11/18 09:24:27
kevinc313
MadmanRB
kevinc313

Obviously the "AMD stomps Intel" meme is quite a bit overblown.  The i9-9960x was just on closeout for $799, it's very close to the 3950X.  The i9-10960x will be out shortly for around $850-900 and will match or beat the X3950.  The 9900k and 9900ks still beat them both in high FPS gaming.  

AMD has released some competitive processors, but they are no real treat to Intel.

You sure about that?
If I were intel I would take AMD very seriously
Yes AMD isnt the powerhouse that Intel is but that doesnt mean that they cant compete with intel.
Only arrogance and blind loyalty would make one think this.
A giant can fall easily, yes AMD is a small fish and Intel seems like a great white shark but that doesnt mean Intel cant choke on AMD's leftovers.
AMD is already gaining back a lot of ground they lost thanks to Ryzen, they have become a major rival in the server section with Epyc.
Its easy to get blinded when the 9900K runs at 150 FPS in a game that can only run at 140FPS on a AMD machine but then it should be a wake up call when that rival processor isnt the Ryzen 9 3900X but the 3700X and that 3700X is cheaper by $150 or so.
Its nice and easy to brag you have the cream of the crop but at the same time the competition is not as far behind as you think.
No prize for second place? I have to put that into question.

Yeah I'm pretty sure.  

https://youtu.be/stM2CPF9YAY?t=263

Intel currently has a $254B market cap while AMD is $44B.  

Of course it's normal and healthy for Intel to have competition across various parts of it's business, so it's great that AMD is able to put out some competitive processors.

Do I see them losing a major portion of their business to AMD in the near future?  There's nothing to indicate that, at all.

(edit Cool GTX .. update quote)
2019/11/18 09:42:34
MadmanRB
Doesnt mean its impossible.
Plus yes Intel is worth more then AMD but if history tells is anything just because you are top dog and have all the money in the world doesn't mean you cant loose.
Once upon Yahoo was king of the internet and Google was nobody
Or Apple was once the underdog in mobile with Nokia being top dog
Then there was the battle between Myspace and Facebook
Or Netflix and Blockbuster
Or Vince McMahon and WWE/F vs Ted Turner and WCW
Ford was also a underdog against Ferarri in racing
Mozilla was a underdog against microsoft

This list goes on and on, point is just because you have a near monopoly right now doesnt mean you cant falter and fail

The only thing AMD doesnt have now is mobile but that can change at any time
2019/11/18 10:38:41
kevinc313
MadmanRB
Doesnt mean its impossible.
Plus yes Intel is worth more then AMD but if history tells is anything just because you are top dog and have all the money in the world doesn't mean you cant loose.
Once upon Yahoo was king of the internet and Google was nobody
Or Apple was once the underdog in mobile with Nokia being top dog
Then there was the battle between Myspace and Facebook
Or Netflix and Blockbuster
Or Vince McMahon and WWE/F vs Ted Turner and WCW
Ford was also a underdog against Ferarri in racing
Mozilla was a underdog against microsoft

This list goes on and on, point is just because you have a near monopoly right now doesnt mean you cant falter and fail

The only thing AMD doesnt have now is mobile but that can change at any time

AMD isn't a real threat to Intel.

AMD: *releases fancy new processor*
Intel: Do you even fab, bro?
2019/11/18 11:12:53
MadmanRB
Keep saying AMD isnt a threat, pride often comes before the fall there bud

No one thought that Ford could beat Ferrari at Les Mans
Or Muhammad Ali could beat George Foreman

The world is full of underdog stories and never underestimate things.
2019/11/18 11:20:35
Cool GTX
Lets stay On Topic & within the TOS

(excerpt)
Personal Attacks - Personal attacks often lead to the trading of insults, and can throw the discussion of a legitimate topic off-track.  Personal attacks can be defined as issuing a single or repeated personal attack or attacks aimed at another member, rather than at their opinions or ideas.  Criticizing a member's post is not considered a personal attack, but using terms such as "child," "idiot," "fanboy," for example, or any other derogatory term designed to discredit a member, is not permitted.

Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

2019/11/18 11:24:50
MadmanRB
Sorry, I was not trying to sound hostile mind you but I do admit I like good underdog story.
It was not my intention to derail the topic, that was unintentional
2019/11/18 11:32:11
Cool GTX
AMD in the Past had a good run on Intel ..... then for over a decade AMD became a "budget product"

Now AMD is Looking much better than they were & are definitely Hurting Intel's Bottomline

Now AMD needs to Prove they are Not a Flash in the Pan --> Again

All consumers will WIN if these two titans try to out do each other BOTH in Performance & Reduced Retail Prices
2019/11/18 11:40:01
MadmanRB
Cool GTX
AMD in the Past had a good run on Intel ..... then for over a decade AMD became a "budget product"

Now AMD is Looking much better than they were & are definitely Hurting Intel's Bottomline

Now AMD needs to Prove they are Not a Flash in the Pan --> Again

All consumers will WIN if these two titans try to out do each other BOTH in Performance & Reduced Retail Prices

I think AMD has loads of potential, Lisa Su seems to be very good at taking AMD to places it has not been in a while.
Yes mistakes were still made under her wing but as long as AMD can learn from them and keep adapting they can pull this off.
This is why I say dont underestimate AMD, yes they dont make thier own fabs but that hasnt stopped ARM from being a success in mobile.
After all ARM doesnt make its own fabs but its ideas and architecture is the backbone of todays mobile market.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account