i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
cjgentile
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1009
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 13:47:33 (permalink)
cjgentile

zzcool

it's not only that thing that makes me extremely sad it's the fact that i have touched the card with my finger im not rich i worked HARD for this card and my entire pc it makes me nocious just thinking about what happend

i sent a support message to the guy who helped me order it he even included a highflow bracket for free including a evga keyring so i hope i get help with that and the fact that nothing happend with it 

You can touch the card all you want, I got most of the dust off the back of my 9800 with my fingers (not washed). No use being sad. As for static. I have my old antec 300 just sitting on the carpet, never had an issue. Winter time is when you should worried more about static.

Hit quote instead of edit :(

i7 5820k // 1080Ti FE // X99 Micro2

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Ribbons : 76
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 14:09:36 (permalink)
cjgentile
You can touch the card all you want, I got most of the dust off the back of my 9800 with my fingers (not washed). And as for static. I have my old antec 300 just sitting on the carpet, never had an issue. Winter time is when you should worried more about static.

You can touch the card all you want, providing you don't care about degrading components on the card. You may not care, but ESD should be a consideration... Unless you don't mind forking more money over for expensive components. My job deals with replacing ESD sensitive circuit cards in military radios. The Gov. doesn't let me scuff my feet over carpet and touch thousands of dollars in radio components, so I apply the same to my thousands of dollars in computer equipment.

Zzcool is right to be worried, yet his card should be just fine. Good ESD practices will save you a headache in the long haul.
zzcool
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1709
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 14:24:22 (permalink)
arestavo

cjgentile
You can touch the card all you want, I got most of the dust off the back of my 9800 with my fingers (not washed). And as for static. I have my old antec 300 just sitting on the carpet, never had an issue. Winter time is when you should worried more about static.

You can touch the card all you want, providing you don't care about degrading components on the card. You may not care, but ESD should be a consideration... Unless you don't mind forking more money over for expensive components. My job deals with replacing ESD sensitive circuit cards in military radios. The Gov. doesn't let me scuff my feet over carpet and touch thousands of dollars in radio components, so I apply the same to my thousands of dollars in computer equipment.

Zzcool is right to be worried, yet his card should be just fine. Good ESD practices will save you a headache in the long haul.

are you really sure im fine as im really scared right now i TOUCHED the card with my finger when i slipped thankfully there is not much around the screw but i am sure i touched some of those tiny circuits and im scared

i shouldn't have started this i know i should of waited but i had no idea about 2 screws being completely untouchable as the rest of the screws work fine it makes me both sad and angry

the foam part was my least problem now i got one huge problem and i have no idea whether i damaged it or not as it may show later on fps may be lower temp may be higher it scares me alot

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 14:25:43 (permalink)
Zzcool, I recommend finding someone who is confident in their abilities to help you out with your current problem.

Your card should be fine, but if you persist in being frightened of making it worse, finding someone who has done this before will put your mind at ease.
post edited by arestavo - 2010/09/17 14:27:58
donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15887
  • Ribbons : 72
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 14:30:29 (permalink)
If you just tore up the foam  and there is still some glue/foam left no biggy you can gently get it off with some time it will not void your warranty if you break the foam strip up, it even states that on the back plate install paper. So you can throw the foam in your mouth chew it up into a million pieces then spit it out all over the place it is not needed for an rma, as long as you didnt damage the card in the sense you took off a resistor, capacitor  you will be fine and have nothing to worry about but if you infact did rip off  a resistors/capacitors you are sol... but if you just touched one there is nothing at all to worry about...
Want me to lick my card and a couple resistors to make you feel better? Stop worrying enjoy your card and enjoy your games...
post edited by donta1979 - 2010/09/17 14:34:21

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
thorimmortal
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 901
  • Ribbons : 8
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 14:59:07 (permalink)
Get a hold of yourself man! prior to handling the card just touch something that will conduct the static electricity usually metal, or your friend what ever is closest, try not to build up any static while working on your card, wriggling around in a nylon jumpsuit will not help. washing your hands will only help as long as you dont use soap that will dry out your skin. as to your stripped screw problem what size driver were you using, yes there are sizes, if you use the incorrect tool you will minimize your purchase on the screw and damage the key way, 9 times out of 10 its not the screws quality that is to blame. you could also try a small flat bladed driver that will fit in the +, if it is too far gone you need to contact some one that can assist you. this is not the first time this has happened and surely not the last, relax and take it one step at a time. maybe a picture of the damaged screw would help with some recommendations of how you should proceed.
zzcool
FTW Member
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 15:04:18 (permalink)
@donta1979
actually i didn't tear it up i bascially just gently tryed to peel it off and somehow panicked when i saw there was glue left which resulted in half of it getting broken i used a hair dryer and it after some time got solved and i got rid of everything

it feels alot better after reading your text thou i hope your right and that my card will perform @ 100% havn't even peeled off the protective film on it yet

then comes the last problem getting rid of that screw which is probably impossible unless you try something extreme which is not something i am willing to do like pooring glue in the screw use a dremmel use a hammer to smash it in place or similar i just can't do that

i built a pc back in 2009 and that wen't perfect but then again i had no problems doing that why evga decides to cheap out on 2 screws is a mystery to me he screws were impossible from the first try so something was wrong from the beginning i hope evga can help me with this
post edited by zzcool - 2010/09/17 15:07:51
cjgentile
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1009
  • Ribbons : 5
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 15:08:53 (permalink)
zzcool

arestavo

cjgentile

are you really sure im fine as im really scared right now i TOUCHED the card with my finger when i slipped thankfully there is not much around the screw but i am sure i touched some of those tiny circuits and im scared

i shouldn't have started this i know i should of waited but i had no idea about 2 screws being completely untouchable as the rest of the screws work fine it makes me both sad and angry

the foam part was my least problem now i got one huge problem and i have no idea whether i damaged it or not as it may show later on fps may be lower temp may be higher it scares me alot

Chill, you could rub your whole hand across the back of the card and be fine. If it was that fragile they would make it to where the curcuits were not touchable.

i7 5820k // 1080Ti FE // X99 Micro2

donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15887
  • Ribbons : 72
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 15:27:14 (permalink)
to get the last screw out play games on it with auto fan for about an hour, and use the right sized screw driver and it will come right out.

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
zzcool
FTW Member
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 15:28:18 (permalink)
i wish i could bealive you but i bet many says the opposite but i guess it's good i seen youtube videos people holding them with there hand no bracelet there
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 15:31:05 (permalink)
cjgentile
Chill, you could rub your whole hand across the back of the card and be fine. If it was that fragile they would make it to where the curcuits were not touchable.

That's only true sometimes, you're more than welcome to try this - scuff your feet across the carpet and touch a metal doorknob. Zap! The same thing would weaken components along the discharge path in the GPU. It may not cause immediate failure, but it doesn't help the life of the card. It's not the rubbing of your hand across the card that degrades a card, it's the instant discharge of whatever voltage your body has built up into a circuit path that is exposed on the back of a GPU, which is essentially a miniature bolt of lightning.

I am merely attempting to help using accurate information and procedures that have been around for quite some time. ESD awareness isn't a spaghetti monster!

post edited by arestavo - 2010/09/17 15:33:45
zzcool
FTW Member
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 15:41:08 (permalink)
and there you lowerd my hope to 0 again

i guess i should only beg that nothing happend with my card see what evga says about this
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 15:52:28 (permalink)
You said you didn't feel a zap, so your card should be just fine. Seriously, take a deep breath, call EVGA and see what they can do to help.

If they can't help you with that stuck screw, I am sure there is someone that can help you close to where you live. Breath in, breath out! Your card should be just fine.
linkian19
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 212
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 16:00:37 (permalink)
zzcool

and there you lowerd my hope to 0 again

i guess i should only beg that nothing happend with my card see what evga says about this

Calm down man. :) If your hand slipped while using the screw driver or while you were doing other things and you accidentally touched parts of the card, you should be fine.

Yes, it is important to be aware of static build-up and all that jazz, but you don't need to be in a sterile jumpsuit and static free box or something. It is important to be be careful but you don't necessarily have to treat it like it's glass. Companies realize that not everyone who buys these cards are super users who have the highest end machines, but that they are more than likely just regular people who want to have their games look sweet.

So touching the screw is fine. Unless you heard/felt a static discharge, then you may have something to worry about, but if you didn't feel anything, then you're probably fine.

We all understand that you worked hard for this card and you just want it to work right with the backplate, but try not to be so nervous (I know, easier said than done, I feel you there.)

Just do your research, watch videos, make sure you feel confident in what you're doing before you go do it. I know for me, if I'm uncertain on how to do something with a computer I try to find a few youtube videos on it, watch them, find one I like, and keep it pulled up for reference while I'm working on it.

As others have suggested with the screw issue, get a good set of screw drivers, try heating up the area around the screw (playing a game, or using the hairdryer could work) and they should come out. But if it's stripped in the direction to unscrew, that could be difficult, just keep at it though. You'll be fine. To maybe ease your anxiety a bit I can tell you that I've slipped a few times while trying to screw things on my motherboard and I've had no problems since. I also work on carpet and I don't have an anti-static bracelet. I also came across a website where I can actually took his graphics card (can't remember which one) and he removed all the shrouds and coverings and what not and actually baked it in his oven to FIX his graphics card. Something to do with bad soldering and what not. He put it back together and it worked like a charm. But I'm not suggesting that at all, that's a pretty risky endeavor right there haha.

So don't be so afraid that you touched your card. Unless you like running around in super fuzzy slippers or socks on carpet. Well then, yeah, make sure you get rid of that static build up lol.

Good luck though! I hope you can get this sorted out and get that backplate on and get running soon!

Black Dragon v2.5
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHZ | ASRock Extreme4 Z77 LGA 1155 | G. Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB
2x NVidia GTX 770 | NZXT Switch 810 (Black)

nexxusty
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 222
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 16:22:26 (permalink)
zzcool

while trying to unscrew it i slipped and touched the finger on it i have no idea if it touched anything around the screw i always have bad luck why are they impossible the other screws worked fine

always bad luck always

or did i get discharged touching the screw driver which is mostly metal other then the handle

Jesus christ kid, you are not going to damage a computer part by touching it. EVER. Got it?

Stop being so worried. Honestly PC's arent for you. It's quite obvious, your freaking out over touching something? CALM DOWN.

Everything is ok dude. Stick a rubber band in the head of the screw and jam the screwdriver in there and turn, this should allow you to take the screw off. Some don't come off as easy because they are all sealed with Blue Locktite.

Or "Thread Locker". Some threads have more applied than others, that simple.

arestavo

cjgentile

I think maybe if you tried real hard you could of given a worse answer. Probably not though, this is one of the dumbest post's I have even seen, especially since the kid is ****ting bricks and you go and say this?

Stupid stupid stupid.

Listen, parts do not degrade when you touch them. Yes ESD exists, but you will not fry RAM or anything else for that matter by touching it. Even after you handled 50 woolen sweaters immediately before hand.

This isin't 1990 dude, RAM is not that susceptible to ESD anymore. Fact. Furthermore you dont even lay a finger on most RAM ic's as they have heatsinks on them now.

Get it? Stop scaring this kid people. Most of your answers are NOT helpful. Except for the above post, that guy's alright. ;)
post edited by nexxusty - 2010/09/17 16:29:41

AOC G2460PG 1080P 144hz 1ms GSYNC
Corsair Air 540
Corsair AX860i
EVGA X99 Classified (BIOS 1.16)
i7 5930k @ 4.0ghz (1.2v) 
Corsair 16gb LPX 3200mhz 15-15-15-35 1T (1.4v) 
EVGA GTX 980 1480/8000mhz
Sound Blaster ZxR
Samsung 840 Pro 128gb (Boot)
Samsung SM951 512gb (Crippled @ X4 2.0)
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 16:37:07 (permalink)
Again, to the poster above me, partially true. Enjoy your view of the electronic world, I'll stay in mine (and keep my job!).

Although you do make a good point, I could have worded my responses to zzcool better... What can I say? I'm not a diplomat, I just tell it like it is.
nexxusty
Superclocked Member
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 16:42:06 (permalink)
arestavo

Again, to the poster above me, partially true. Enjoy your view of the electronic world, I'll stay in mine (and keep my job!).

Although you do make a good point, I could have worded my responses to zzcool better... What can I say? I'm not a diplomat, I just tell it like it is.

Sorry man, I went off a bit there.

I have always been VERY protective over the little guy. Sometimes even too much.

I've been where he is, many many years ago. And it's very scary, even cried a few times because I felt so stupid.

The point I was making is, he's really over exaggerating because he doesn't know enough about PC hardware to be confident. Like I said, been there. We all have at one point.

We should be walking on egg shells while trying to help this guy, that's all I am saying.

;)

Corsair Air 540
Corsair AX860i
i7 5930k @ 4.0ghz (1.2v) 
Sound Blaster ZxR
zzcool
FTW Member
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 18:08:49 (permalink)
nexxusty

arestavo

I have always been VERY protective over the little guy. Sometimes even too much.

I've been where he is, many many years ago. And it's very scary, even cried a few times because I felt so stupid.

The point I was making is, he's really over exaggerating because he doesn't know enough about PC hardware to be confident. Like I said, been there. We all have at one point.

We should be walking on egg shells while trying to help this guy, that's all I am saying.

;)

thankyou so much for your words they really helped

i did built my old gaming pc back in 2009 but it was alot easyer as i used a anti static bracelet and didn't have to temper with the graphics card right now since i spent my entire savings on this pc i am extra careful and extra scared to be honest i almost cryed when i panicked due to how much this card was and the fact that i've been using a pentium 4 pc since october when i sold my core i7 920 pc so when i got the card i was eager to install the backplate and panicked when something wen't wrong as i can't afford to loose the card i have enough money problems already

thankyou so much for what you said feels alot better now the card is now laying on the anti static bag with the plastic the box came in and the protective airbags that came with the card and my motherboard evga ftw3

as for the screws yes they have blue around them

edit:let me take that back they have nothing around them

post edited by zzcool - 2010/09/17 18:46:58
craftmatic
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 855
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 20:59:28 (permalink)
Just relax dude.  I don't think you've damaged anything.  Being careful about ESD is good advice and something we should heed.  However, PC's are not the most sensitive pieces of electronics so as long as you didn't feel or see a discharge you are fine.  As far as the screw goes I think the rubberband method nexxusty described sounds promising if you are still having a problem with it.  Also, it sounds like you are stressing right now.  My advice is set everything aside (make sure you gather all the parts together) and go do something else for a little bit to relax and relieve the stress.  Your stressing and all that is going to do is magnify any mistake/problem that you might have made (real or perceived).

Intel Core i7 4790K / Asus Maximus VII Hero / 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws / EVGA GTX 770 SC / Corsair Carbide Air 540
jimwho
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/17 23:18:18 (permalink)
I have messed with a few 480's. Some have blue loctite some clear loctite. Some screws come out easy some require a firm grip and downward pressure to keep from stripping screw. Most important is using the right size phillips head. Stop if its stripping and get a good fit phillips head and if you can grip and pressure turn slow. Good luck
nexxusty
Superclocked Member
Re:i am scared may have damaged my gtx 480 trying to install backplate 2010/09/18 02:33:03 (permalink)
zzcool

nexxusty

arestavo

;)

thankyou so much for your words they really helped

i did built my old gaming pc back in 2009 but it was alot easyer as i used a anti static bracelet and didn't have to temper with the graphics card right now since i spent my entire savings on this pc i am extra careful and extra scared to be honest i almost cryed when i panicked due to how much this card was and the fact that i've been using a pentium 4 pc since october when i sold my core i7 920 pc so when i got the card i was eager to install the backplate and panicked when something wen't wrong as i can't afford to loose the card i have enough money problems already

thankyou so much for what you said feels alot better now the card is now laying on the anti static bag with the plastic the box came in and the protective airbags that came with the card and my motherboard evga ftw3

as for the screws yes they have blue around them

edit:let me take that back they have nothing around them

NP bro. Anytime, seriously.

Seems like you have everything under control, I doubt you did anything wrong. If you need any help don't hesitate to PM me. I will help you out immediately.

:)

Cheers

craftmatic

Just relax dude.  I don't think you've damaged anything.  Being careful about ESD is good advice and something we should heed.  However, PC's are not the most sensitive pieces of electronics so as long as you didn't feel or see a discharge you are fine.  As far as the screw goes I think the rubberband method nexxusty described sounds promising if you are still having a problem with it.  Also, it sounds like you are stressing right now.  My advice is set everything aside (make sure you gather all the parts together) and go do something else for a little bit to relax and relieve the stress.  Your stressing and all that is going to do is magnify any mistake/problem that you might have made (real or perceived).

Great advice my friend.

It has taken me a LOOONG time to be able to sit back and take a breather when things aren't going right. But it helps, 99% of the time if I walk away I find out what my issues are when I get back within 5 minutes or less.

Words to live by.

;)
post edited by nexxusty - 2010/09/18 02:41:29

Corsair Air 540
Corsair AX860i
i7 5930k @ 4.0ghz (1.2v) 
Sound Blaster ZxR
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile