EVGA

Z97 BIOS Update with Spectre updates

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Rustler_One
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Z97 BIOS Update with Spectre updates 2018/08/08 05:12:46 (permalink)
Yeah, I'm going to need it for my x5660, gets pretty hot when OCed even with a good air cooler.
118KillBill
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Z97 BIOS Update with Spectre updates 2018/08/08 08:53:22 (permalink)
Hallelujah Came back after taking the little one to watch ant man. Left the batter out and PC powered off. Powered on. No beeps of death and back in on my one working bios.
Now that I’m back in. Shall I try again....
nope call it a day and stick with what I have.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49164
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Z97 BIOS Update with Spectre updates 2018/08/08 12:10:41 (permalink)
118KillBill
Hallelujah Came back after taking the little one to watch ant man. Left the batter out and PC powered off. Powered on. No beeps of death and back in on my one working bios.
Now that I’m back in. Shall I try again....
nope call it a day and stick with what I have.

118KillBill
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Z97 BIOS Update with Spectre updates 2018/08/08 14:29:49 (permalink)
I think I’m now out for the count. Same issue again with the blank screen and the shutdown or reboot on my working bios. I guess last hopes now with evga see if they can or will be willing to send me a bios chip.

It’s a real shame. As trying to buy a new classified is non existent.
Rustler_One
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: Z97 BIOS Update with Spectre updates 2018/08/08 16:01:31 (permalink)
Hmm... that's really strange. Could it possibly be a different piece of hardware that just happened to start failing around the same time? This may not apply to you, but when I built this x58 system I used the drives from my previous system, doing that caused the system to sometimes boot into BIOS and sometimes not boot or post at all until I went back to the other drive I used to test this system. Cloning the test drive onto the other drive fixed it. Again, not sure if this applies in your situation.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Z97 BIOS Update with Spectre updates 2018/08/08 18:16:17 (permalink)
118KillBill
Briefly hangs on 4F before carrying on and sticking on 71

Code 71 from the manual... 

"South Bridge DXE SMM initialization is started"

Something is definitely up with the board. I'd call evga and ask tech support what vd1-vd5 all flashing means.
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: Z97 BIOS Update with Spectre updates 2018/08/13 23:53:17 (permalink)

It's possibly a Ram issue. Try 1 stick at a time to rule out the Ram.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
fearpoint
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3184
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Z97 BIOS Update with Spectre updates 2018/08/17 22:50:23 (permalink)
So I finally took the plunge and updated my Z97ftw BIOS. BIOS wouldn't recognize my SSD SATA drive after I rebooted which has my Windows installation. It showed in the SATA device listing, but the boot priority listing would only list my HDD instead with a bunch of other cd/dvd/usb options. After playing around repeatedly by changing the SATA plug into different SATA ports I was able to get it to recognize my SSD in the boot priority list, but now it doesn't list my HDD. In the master SATA list both devices are listed and after I boot up both drives are working. What a mess. I don't know what is going on, but it's as though the BIOS is only recognizing the first device detected at all for boot priority device list and then ignoring any SATA devices beyond that. That would explain why initially my SSD SATA drive which was plugged into SATA #6 wasn't being recognized over my HDD SATA plugged in at #2. 
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Z97 BIOS Update with Spectre updates 2018/08/18 12:18:35 (permalink)
fearpoint
So I finally took the plunge and updated my Z97ftw BIOS. BIOS wouldn't recognize my SSD SATA drive after I rebooted which has my Windows installation. It showed in the SATA device listing, but the boot priority listing would only list my HDD instead with a bunch of other cd/dvd/usb options. After playing around repeatedly by changing the SATA plug into different SATA ports I was able to get it to recognize my SSD in the boot priority list, but now it doesn't list my HDD. In the master SATA list both devices are listed and after I boot up both drives are working. What a mess. I don't know what is going on, but it's as though the BIOS is only recognizing the first device detected at all for boot priority device list and then ignoring any SATA devices beyond that. That would explain why initially my SSD SATA drive which was plugged into SATA #6 wasn't being recognized over my HDD SATA plugged in at #2. 

Sounds like you'll need to go back to a older bios version.

fearpoint
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3184
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Z97 BIOS Update with Spectre updates 2018/08/18 14:00:04 (permalink)
Sajin
fearpoint

Sounds like you'll need to go back to a older bios version.

Well it's working, so I'm not going to mess with it. 
derikdd
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Z97 BIOS Update with Spectre updates 2018/10/22 14:35:31 (permalink)
Similar issues as everyone else. Flashed the bios to the latest, started having game crashes and computer hard freezing. ( Never had these issues before) Tried everything and finally reflashed to a older bios and then no boot at all! Changed to 2nd bios, still had freezing so i flashed the bios from original to one that was slightly newer. Computer would get past 4f bootcode. Went to the 3rd bios and it would boot. I have 2 sets of memory, that are not exactly the same. Removed one pair and back to booting without a freeze in a few days! 

So the problem appears to be memory related on the bios update. I would recommend NOT updating the bios as it caused me issues for a month! 
rw-one
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: Z97 BIOS Update with Spectre updates 2019/04/20 07:09:32 (permalink)
fearpoint

Kinda late to the party, with what I read, not going to flash yet on my Z97 Classified, unless someone can convince me to take the plunge ...  :)

Found something similar when testing a SSD, or even after I just cloned my OS boot drive to a new one (old one was SATA II - moving to SATA III to get better throughput)

I have three SATA drives in my rig, the boot drive and two used for storage, until now all were the same model.

What I found was that the board seemed "Confused" as to which one to boot to upon initial boot after trying the cloned SSD or my new cloned HDD, get "NTLDR is missing".

However that said, if I then power off, disconnect the two drives used for storage and then boot, it's all good - boots to 10, then after shutting down and reconnecting the other two drives, it's fine with all three.

So ... For now I'd say anyone running into the above getting boot issues try just your boot drive to get back tot eh OS, then add your others afterwards and see if that works for you.

The question for me remains - should I flash it? 2.04 to 2.06 on Z97 Classified.
post edited by rw-one - 2019/04/20 13:11:31

Core I7 4790K
Z97 Classified
16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ (x1)
X-Fi Titanium Fatality Sound Card
Thermatake Urban S71 (Windowed)
Triple 19" monitors w/ TH2G Analog
Logitech Dinovo laser BT desktop and mouse
Ch Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals
Win 10 Pro x64
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile