EVGA

Z20 Sticking Keys (stick in "pressed down" position) - Probable Fix Details Described

Author
jGecko
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2021/12/13 16:40:00 (permalink)
I don't know if these multiple sticking keys problems also happen on the "clicky" Z20 keyboards, or even other EVGA "Z-series" keyboards. If they do...the same fix MAY apply.

SYMPTOMS:
I got my Z20 linear switch keyboard (811-W1-20US-KR) about 1 month ago.
BAD KEYS: Out of the box I had trouble with a sticking "4/$" key, endlessly "typing" 4/$'s across the screen.
A VERY TEMPORARY fix is to remove the keycap and re-install it. I suspect that after typing for awhile once the keycap is re-pressed back onto the switch, the keycap again becomes seated more completely and the interference starts up again.
There seems to be a point in the travel of just about ALL the keys where you can feel a TINY "bump" if you push a key off-center as you press it down. With the "4/$" key this "bump" is far more obvious than the other keys and occurs even if you press straight down on the key. It has started to happen often and is now very annoying as I use both $ and ^ symbols over 100's of times every day.
~7 days later "6/^" key started sticking
~30 days ANOTHER bad key= "0/)" key with same "sticking" symptom.
~40 days the "7/&" key sticks and STAYS down.
~41 days the "9/(" key sticking

I THINK I've found a permanent fix: Sanding-down by hand an interfering bit of plastic flashing or perhaps it's something that aids in releasing the keycaps from their moulds, that is located on one inside wall on each affected keycap.

LOCATION & ANALYSIS:
On the underside/inside of all the keycaps, there is a "bar" or "ledge" near a corner of the white plastic "shell". Which corner this is located appears to vary depending on the keyboard "zone" in which the keycap sits.
This "bar" extends all the way from the bottom edge of the keycap to the bottom/inside surface of the top face of the keycap (about 6mm inside depth). The "bar" is about 3mm Wide x 6mm Deep x 0.2mm Thick.
It's the 0.2mm thick portion that sticks-out that appears to be causing the interference/sticking problem.
Note: this "bar" appears in different locations on  different keys, so that seems to be why so far only my "number" keycaps are sticking. The thickness of the "bar" also varies in other keycap "zones" which likely also makes a difference. In one zone this "bar" is virtually flush with the keycaps in that zone and thus I believe it should not cause a sticking problem.

FIX:
I sanded down the "bar" a bit for about 30 seconds (did not have to make it flush) and it appeared to fix one key, so I did the rest and ALL THE STICKING KEYS STOPPED STICKING and have remained problem free for a few days now.
I sanded the "bars" down by hand with a 10mm wide disposable fingernail file...the kind with a medium grit on it...I did not use a metal file. The disposable files cost something like $1.25 for a set of 5 at my nearby drugstore. I specifically used this type of file as it is quite forgiving as it would take a LOT of sanding with the fingernail file to sand all the way through an opaque section of a keycap...so no LED light will "leak" from this fix. Remember, even manually it only took me 20-30 seconds to sand down the "bar" on each keycap.

Regardless, exercise extreme care anytime you permanently modify something like this. Too little sanding can be fixed...too much sanding is either hard to fix or extremely hard to fix.
I strongly advise NOT using any electric tool (like a Dremel) to sand down the "bar".
post edited by jGecko - 2021/12/13 17:01:29

13 Replies Related Threads

jGecko
    Re: Z20 Sticking Keys (stick in "pressed down" position) - Probable Fix Details Described 2021/12/21 02:28:14 (permalink)
    After about a week of additional heavy keyboard use, I'm now fairly confident this targeted easy and fast fix resolves this "sticking keys" problem and without introducing any other problems or discrepancies.
    The formerly bad keycaps have remained completely problem-free and all keys are working as expected.
    jGecko
    Re: Z20 Sticking Keys (stick in "pressed down" position) - Probable Fix Details Described 2021/12/21 03:08:34 (permalink)
    Location of "Bar" on underside of Z20 keyboard keycap that may interfere with and cause the key to stick in the "down" position. Windows "typamatic" may cause the key to rapidly repeat the character on your display.
    Sand down the "bar" lightly to eliminate sticking keys problem on Z20 keyboard. See details in original post in this thread.

The approximately 3mm Wide x 6mm Deep "bar" is shown within the red rectangle in the image.
    https :// imgur. com/ AGS0hWC
    post edited by jGecko - 2021/12/21 03:25:53
    EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    • Total Posts : 1026
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Z20 Sticking Keys (stick in "pressed down" position) - Probable Fix Details Described 2021/12/23 11:18:04 (permalink)
    I'm having this looked into with the keycap factory on the QC issues. 

TwoEvilOne
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 716
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Z20 Sticking Keys (stick in "pressed down" position) - Probable Fix Details Described 2021/12/23 12:13:45 (permalink)
    I also had a bad key on my New Z keyboard. i used one of the supplied keys to replace it and all is good.

Register your EVGA product with my affiliate code: LDCH3LNSPA
    Check out my MODS RIGS view my system , and +1  TwoEvilOne's Stormbreaker .  Click here to become an EVGA elite member than an Associate. My 3090 Kingpin 3DMark Port Royal Score: 15,239[/alig
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Z20 Sticking Keys (stick in "pressed down" position) - Probable Fix Details Described 2021/12/31 11:43:48 (permalink)

The RGB optical mechanical switch housings on the Z20 appear to be a fraction bigger in places than the standard mechanical switches like on the Z15. I wanted to put some pudding-style key caps on the Z20 but many of them got stuck in the down position. On closer inspection, I realized the walls of the pudding-style key caps were a tiny bit thicker than the Z20 default key caps, and that was just enough to cause some of them to stick. The same caps are perfectly fine with any other mechanical switches I tried them on.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

LeRaldo
    • Total Posts : 5
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Z20 Sticking Keys (stick in "pressed down" position) - Probable Fix Details Described 2022/01/10 08:00:05 (permalink)
    EVGA_James
    I'm having this looked into with the keycap factory on the QC issues. 

I have a 811-W1-20US-KR Z20 and I've been having an issue with keys getting 'stuck' as activated, but it seems that it can happen with any key, not a particular one. This is an extremely frustrating issue. It seems to trigger most frequently with repeated light presses.
    idbaghera
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: Z20 Sticking Keys (stick in "pressed down" position) - Probable Fix Details Described 2022/02/03 23:26:05 (permalink)
    jGecko
    I don't know if these multiple sticking keys problems also happen on the "clicky" Z20 keyboards, or even other EVGA "Z-series" keyboards. If they do...the same fix MAY apply.

I THINK I've found a permanent fix: Sanding-down by hand an interfering bit of plastic flashing or perhaps it's something that aids in releasing the keycaps from their moulds, that is located on one inside wall on each affected keycap.
     FIX:
    I sanded down the "bar" a bit for about 30 seconds (did not have to make it flush) and it appeared to fix one key, so I did the rest and ALL THE STICKING KEYS STOPPED STICKING and have remained problem free for a few days now.
    I sanded the "bars" down by hand with a 10mm wide disposable fingernail file...the kind with a medium grit on it...I did not use a metal file. The disposable files cost something like $1.25 for a set of 5 at my nearby drugstore. I specifically used this type of file as it is quite forgiving as it would take a LOT of sanding with the fingernail file to sand all the way through an opaque section of a keycap...so no LED light will "leak" from this fix. Remember, even manually it only took me 20-30 seconds to sand down the "bar" on each keycap.

Regardless, exercise extreme care anytime you permanently modify something like this. Too little sanding can be fixed...too much sanding is either hard to fix or extremely hard to fix.
    I strongly advise NOT using any electric tool (like a Dremel) to sand down the "bar".

Can you post more photos with this operation?
    Maybe sticky thread if its the permanent fix.
    post edited by idbaghera - 2022/02/03 23:45:15

Asus X570-P | Ryzen 5900X | Gskill 2x16 F4266C17 | RTX 3080 Watercooled | 2xCrucial P5 2TB | Seagate 12TB HDD | Xonar Essence STX | EVGA Z20 | Logitech G Pro superlight | Acer X271HU
    Mr. Fox
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 252
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Z20 Sticking Keys (stick in "pressed down" position) - Probable Fix Details Described 2022/02/14 20:00:53 (permalink)
    idbaghera
    jGecko

FIX:

Can you post more photos with this operation?
    Maybe sticky thread if its the permanent fix.

jGeckoLocation of "Bar" on underside of Z20 keyboard keycap that may interfere with and cause the key to stick in the "down" position. Windows "typamatic" may cause the key to rapidly repeat the character on your display.
    Sand down the "bar" lightly to eliminate sticking keys problem on Z20 keyboard. See details in original post in this thread.

The approximately 3mm Wide x 6mm Deep "bar" is shown within the red rectangle in the image.
    https :// imgur. com/ AGS0hWC

He posted a broken link to a photo showing where the "bar" is apparently after it was sanded off.
    Here is the photo from the broken link.

post edited by Mr. Fox - 2022/02/14 20:03:12

Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | MSI 4090 Suprim X | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 D5*3 || EVGA DG-86
    Banshee // ASUS Z690 Apex | 13900KF | ASROCK 6900 XT OC Formula | 32GB DDR5 | Corsair RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova D5*2 || Corsair 5000D Airflow
    Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Z20 Sticking Keys (stick in "pressed down" position) - Probable Fix Details Described 2022/02/14 23:05:47 (permalink)
    At least the keycaps are the industry standard and replaceable if they wear out or have trouble since the switches should in theory last a lifetime. Since the Z20 is a pretty new keyboard though I would contact support.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Z20 Sticking Keys (stick in "pressed down" position) - Probable Fix Details Described 2022/06/20 23:41:40 (permalink)

Sanding / Filing it down worked for me. Good job.       

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    payindoors
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Z20 Sticking Keys (stick in "pressed down" position) - Probable Fix Details Described 2022/07/07 14:24:21 (permalink)
    It's definitely not just the keycap. I removed the keycap on my Z20 and the switch underneath gets stuck in place too.
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Z20 Sticking Keys (stick in "pressed down" position) - Probable Fix Details Described 2022/07/07 14:28:54 (permalink)

People who are really into keyboards use lube.

Get your minds out of the gutter please, lol, - I mean switch lube, and yes, it's a thing. They have lubing stations and brushes and everything (link). Maybe this will help?

Why you should lube your keyboard switches (link).

I might even post this as a separate topic.

https://www.gloriousgaming.com/search?q=lube

post edited by Nereus - 2022/07/07 14:35:20

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Z20 Sticking Keys (stick in "pressed down" position) - Probable Fix Details Described 2022/07/08 10:32:20 (permalink)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile