EVGA

Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies?

Author
Dukman
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1478
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 6
2020/02/08 18:16:08 (permalink)
The G2 and G3 line up of power supplies were awesome.   This new G5 line produced by FSP is... well disappointing.  Sorry EVGA, but Im going to have to wait and see what happens with these new PSU's before I consider one for any builds I do.  Fortunately the warranty is still there, and my money is on the fact that the buyers will need it more than they did with the previous line up

Hopefully the big boys 1300 and 1600 will still be made by SuperFlower.  

Heatware

25 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/09 16:10:59 (permalink)
    EVGA has used FSP before.
    DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 172
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/14 15:50:09 (permalink)
    The simple answer is because of the Trump tariffs on goods made in China. PSUs are made in Shenzen. Companies like EVGA need to meet price targets. When tariffs bump up the price, something has to give, and it's quality. Tom's Hardware raised this very point in their reviews of the G5 PSUs.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/16 04:36:21 (permalink)
    DamonLynch
    The simple answer is because of the Trump tariffs on goods made in China. PSUs are made in Shenzen. Companies like EVGA need to meet price targets. When tariffs bump up the price, something has to give, and it's quality. Tom's Hardware raised this very point in their reviews of the G5 PSUs.

Wrong.  We're not in the EVGA boardroom to know what their decisions are based on.

Here's a more info and not one mention about PSUs.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/16 07:25:49 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    DamonLynch

Wrong.  We're not in the EVGA boardroom to know what their decisions are based on.

EVGA is like any business. It must meet price points in the market, make plans for the future, fulfill contracts, etc. Just because some tariffs were changed at the last minute doesn't mean EVGA can simply ignore plans and contracts it put in place many months before.

Or are you suggesting that EVGA would switch to an inferior PSU manufacturer just for fun? Or to somehow make more money at the expense of customers receiving an inferior product? Personally, I don't believe that. It's clear the tariffs forced their hand. They had no choice. That's the entire point of tariffs.

Quoting Tom's Hardware journalist Aris Mpitziopoulos:

"U.S. tariffs put an end to EVGA's close cooperation with Super Flower, so EVGA turned to FSP which is a good OEM with reliable products, but it cannot meet the performance levels of the Leadex platforms, used in the G3 models."

and again:

"EVGA's high numbered G, P, and T lines (G2, G3, P2, and T2) exclusively used Super Flower's Leadex platforms, which are among the best in today's market. Nonetheless, recent U.S. tariffs affected manufacturers with production lines in China, so EVGA had to turn to another OEM for the new G5 line, which will replace the G3 models."

Sources:

https://www.tomshardware....power-supply,6337.html
    https://www.tomshardware....power-supply,6344.html
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/16 09:03:17 (permalink)
    DamonLynch
    GTXJackBauer
    DamonLynch

EVGA is like any business. It must meet price points in the market, make plans for the future, fulfill contracts, etc. Just because some tariffs were changed at the last minute doesn't mean EVGA can simply ignore plans and contracts it put in place many months before.

Or are you suggesting that EVGA would switch to an inferior PSU manufacturer just for fun? Or to somehow make more money at the expense of customers receiving an inferior product? Personally, I don't believe that. It's clear the tariffs forced their hand. They had no choice. That's the entire point of tariffs.

Quoting Tom's Hardware journalist Aris Mpitziopoulos:

"U.S. tariffs put an end to EVGA's close cooperation with Super Flower, so EVGA turned to FSP which is a good OEM with reliable products, but it cannot meet the performance levels of the Leadex platforms, used in the G3 models."

and again:

"EVGA's high numbered G, P, and T lines (G2, G3, P2, and T2) exclusively used Super Flower's Leadex platforms, which are among the best in today's market. Nonetheless, recent U.S. tariffs affected manufacturers with production lines in China, so EVGA had to turn to another OEM for the new G5 line, which will replace the G3 models."

Sources:

https://www.tomshardware....power-supply,6337.html
    https://www.tomshardware....power-supply,6344.html

But did they get this from the horse's mouth or this a opinion piece?  I think the latter.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/16 09:11:49 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer

But did they get this from the horse's mouth or this a opinion piece?  I think the latter.

So your explanation for why EVGA chose a clearly inferior quality PSU supplier at the same time tariffs were loudly signaled is. . . . . what, exactly? 

You seem to be blaming EVGA. You seem to think tariffs have no effect on supply chains. That's not how life works.

I'm saying EVGA had little choice if they wanted to maintain their market share.
    apsese
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 129
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/16 09:28:10 (permalink)
    DamonLynch

How does that matter here if both Super and FSP are still made in China?

finally a signature without that associate code
    RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/16 09:29:19 (permalink)
    I wouldn't recommend the G5 to anyone. I got one thinking it was a Super Flower unit and quickly found the quality was lacking when the unit I purchased was making noises after about 60 hours of use. I ran a RMA on it and got a worse one in replacement. It was louder and less stable, I had to remove all of my overclock profiles in order to run stable with the second one. With the move EVGA took to with the 25% cash back promotion, I am convinced they knew there was a drop in quality and wanted to pay for good reviews before their gamble was dead in the water. Many people were quick to try and be the first 200 reviews to get that money back before actually noticing the flaws with the product. It took about 3-4 weeks until the original unit started to degrade and get louder. 

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/16 11:39:48 (permalink)
    apsese
    DamonLynch

How does that matter here if both Super and FSP are still made in China?

All PSUs we use are made in Shenzen. Any computer parts company like EVGA needs to meet well-recognized, pre-determined price-points in the market, e.g. $110 for an 850W in Microcenter (or something like that, I don't recall exactly what they sell them for) . If the prices are too high, people will not buy. So to keep prices the same after tariffs are applied, the quality of the product has to go down. Manufacturing PSUs is all about quality vs. price.The higher the quality, the higher the price. I think it was PC World that had a really excellent interview with the Corsair PSU guru several months back. That was his basic message: price vs quality. You want better quality, you pay more for it. Each market has price points companies like Corsair & EVGA must meet. The market in India is more price sensitive than the U.S. market, for example. PSU manufacturers target these price points.
    DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/16 11:45:56 (permalink)
    RainStryke
    I wouldn't recommend the G5 to anyone. I got one thinking it was a Super Flower unit and quickly found the quality was lacking when the unit I purchased was making noises after about 60 hours of use. I ran a RMA on it and got a worse one in replacement. It was louder and less stable, I had to remove all of my overclock profiles in order to run stable with the second one. With the move EVGA took to with the 25% cash back promotion, I am convinced they knew there was a drop in quality and wanted to pay for good reviews before their gamble was dead in the water. Many people were quick to try and be the first 200 reviews to get that money back before actually noticing the flaws with the product. It took about 3-4 weeks until the original unit started to degrade and get louder. 

Thanks for sharing your experience, which does not make for happy reading, that's for sure. I went with a used 750 G2 rather than a new G5 because of the drop in quality. It makes you realize yet again just how useful those independent review sites are, when they have experts in the field writing for them.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/16 15:14:51 (permalink)
    DamonLynch
    GTXJackBauer

So your explanation for why EVGA chose a clearly inferior quality PSU supplier at the same time tariffs were loudly signaled is. . . . . what, exactly? 

You seem to be blaming EVGA. You seem to think tariffs have no effect on supply chains. That's not how life works.

I'm saying EVGA had little choice if they wanted to maintain their market share.

It's not me that's blaming anyone.  You're just quick to assume because you've figured it all out apparently.  We don't know what's really going on other than being based on SPECULATIONS and OPINIONS.  That's how life works.

Where were those tarriffs in the years prior when companies stop rebranding SeaSonic PSUs and many other changes to their lines?  Let me guess, Trump's tarriffs!  Right... Carry on man.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/16 15:55:51 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
     Where were those tarriffs in the years prior when companies stop rebranding SeaSonic PSUs and many other changes to their lines?  Let me guess, Trump's tarriffs!  Right... Carry on man.

This is not a partisan issue. I would never assume that the tariffs will be lifted if Trump is not reelected. At least some of them could be the new normal for the next 5 years or more, regardless of which party is in power. Tariffs on trade have pluses and minuses. The issues are complex.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/16 17:29:43 (permalink)
    RainStryke

EVGA did the same thing with it's NU Audio sound card. "chance to win 200 evga bucks" by writing a bias review about the product.

What's up with all these different models.
    P2, PQ, GM, GQ, G+, GA, GD, G5, G3, G2, BQ, B3

DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/18 15:23:04 (permalink)
    Well apparently I was wrong to claim that "All PSUs we use are made in Shenzen" — not only did I misspell "Shenzhen", but it seems at least some PSUs are made in Taiwan: https://youtu.be/qgy9v8p5OJY?t=261
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/19 08:05:19 (permalink)
    Subject matter experts on the internet entertain me. /s 
    DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/19 08:09:29 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Subject matter experts on the internet entertain me. /s 

Thanks for your efforts to keep the forums a helpful and productive place in which people learn from each other in a spirit of mutual respect.
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/23 15:48:42 (permalink)
    Rolls eyes!

In breaking News, "Show ur support or discussed with ur wallet, not ur mouth!" its the only thing current corporations will listen too.  

Fighting with eachother on a online forum proves nothing.....
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/24 04:51:11 (permalink)
    Do you remember when I advice you Buy just one more strong PSU, more then enough, you never know...
    Now is chance, few series are very nice worked and customers are very happy, that;s not always case, many series with different brands launched with hype are revised and replaced, buy one more that's not big investment.
    Most people didn't care, even me delay buying backup PSU. I thought never mind, if mine die, Hungary is close, I will be patient 3 days without computer until EVGA G2/P2/T2 arrive. 
    Now situation look different.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/24 05:00:47 (permalink)
    DamonLynch
    Well apparently I was wrong to claim that "All PSUs we use are made in Shenzen" — not only did I misspell "Shenzhen", but it seems at least some PSUs are made in Taiwan: https://youtu.be/qgy9v8p5OJY?t=261

Taiwain is significant difference then China. Mentality, politic, ideology.
    For me Taiwan will never be part of China and China would corrupt and ruined Taiwan.
    If we talk about IT industry just think on Bitspower Fittings and Lian Li cases as two maybe best examples of Taiwan quality compared to others who build in China. I not accept because of that Barrow and Barrowich and how they call them as Aliexpress product to be compared with fittings dominant on market 10 years before clones show up. Then Lian Li aluminum series, table PC, wall mount PC, two chamber chassis, LanParty Case, Lian Li benchtable, all of them are made in Taiwan. On mine case it's label Made in Taiwan and somehow I look Taiwan and Japan as different. If need to be Asia then should be Taiwan or Japan.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/25 14:38:42 (permalink)
    knightsilver
    Rolls eyes!

In breaking News, "Show ur support or discussed with ur wallet, not ur mouth!" its the only thing current corporations will listen too.  

Fighting with eachother on a online forum proves nothing.....

I would say people are doing that judging by the layoff's at EVGA.

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/25 15:14:24 (permalink)
    EVGA 1200 P2 and 1000 P2 are still available.
    Both from Super Flower. 
    Problem is for people who want PSU up to 100-120$.

People complain because 1-2% difference in performance.
    Better to compare their carbon steel cases with aluminum and think more in that direction, because that's visible instantly. Voltage differences not.
    It's absurd to talk about differences between two platforms in Gold class, all of them are enough not matter on platform.

DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/25 19:40:27 (permalink)
    MSim

I think that's a bit harsh. EVGA has had a line of really fantastic quality and good value PSUs for years, like the G2 and G3. Hopefully they'll be able to bring to market a new line of better PSUs than the G5 series at a price the market finds palatable.

And let's hope that the U.S. and Chinese governments can come to an agreement that meets the needs of workers and businesses alike.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/26 16:41:43 (permalink)
    DamonLynch
    MSim

I think that's a bit harsh. EVGA has had a line of really fantastic quality and good value PSUs for years, like the G2 and G3. Hopefully they'll be able to bring to market a new line of better PSUs than the G5 series at a price the market finds palatable.

And let's hope that the U.S. and Chinese governments can come to an agreement that meets the needs of workers and businesses alike.

It was general comment, not just about select EVGA power supplies consumers are avoiding.

Wheres all the reviews on GA, GM SKU power supplies?

Dukman
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1478
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/27 08:28:30 (permalink)
    Vlada011
    Do you remember when I advice you Buy just one more strong PSU, more then enough, you never know...
    Now is chance, few series are very nice worked and customers are very happy, that;s not always case, many series with different brands launched with hype are revised and replaced, buy one more that's not big investment.
    Most people didn't care, even me delay buying backup PSU. I thought never mind, if mine die, Hungary is close, I will be patient 3 days without computer until EVGA G2/P2/T2 arrive. 
    Now situation look different.

I snapped up two 750G2's and two 850 G2's.   That's on top of the spare 1000 G2 I already have.  

Heatware

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies? 2020/02/28 20:53:13 (permalink)
    MSim, longtime dude! 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile