EVGA

What, specifically, is disabling vdroop doing on EVGA Z370 boards?

Author
txDrumsticks
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/04/11 08:19:20 (permalink)
Hi,

I'm currently in the midst of tuning my delidded i7-8700k. I've found a stable point for both 5GHz and 5.1GHz by disabling vdroop. Conventional wisdom definitely says that vdroop off will be a good thing - from a general perspective, vdroop is going to cause the core voltage to sag during load which is going to ruin your overclock. Disabling vdroop obviously fixes that and keeps us at a constant voltage of some kind.

My question, though, is what else is vdroop doing? Tom's hardware says in their EVGA Z370 FTW Review that overclocking with vdroop disabled adds a static 0.08V to their vcore. Looking at mine with 1.32V set on override and vdroop off, Hwinfo reports my vcore moving to 1.336 during load (+.016), but software monitors won't necessarily be accurate. Does EVGA have any internal information on the exact details of vdroop that they'd be willing to share with their customers? Is the +.08V the intended and predictable behavior for EVGA Z370s, or is there some other behavior?

I don't mean this necessarily as a slight or criticism or anger towards EVGA - I love my board beyond this. Rather, a customer who wants to understand the specifics of a setting before firing away at potentially dangerous values. Thanks!

2 Replies Related Threads

Tech_JoseC
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 383
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: What, specifically, is disabling vdroop doing on EVGA Z370 boards? 2018/04/12 22:51:18 (permalink)
    Hello txDrumsticks!

I see that you had an open ticket, so I responded to that. I hope my explanation helps, but I'll post my response here for others to see as well. 

Hello txDrumsticks,

Thank you for contacting EVGA customer support. While disabling Vdroop may help you achieve a higher overclock, it may not help keep a stable long term overclock. What VDroop is doing is keeping a higher idle voltage so that while your CPU is idle, the CPU does not crash due to the voltage dropping off. However, if you overclock your processor and set the VCore to about 1.4V it would be preferred that VDroop is turned off so that the VCore does not reach
    a crazy voltage at about 1.5V+ -.

To resolve the VDroop stability issues that may come with having it disabled try setting a higher VCore voltage, for example if you have your VCore set to 1.35V and your processor is stable under load, try setting it to 1.4V or 1.45V to see which would be stable while under idle conditions. Of course you will still need to experiment with this.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Regards,
    EVGA.

txDrumsticks
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: What, specifically, is disabling vdroop doing on EVGA Z370 boards? 2018/04/18 08:56:34 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JoseC
    Hello txDrumsticks!

I see that you had an open ticket, so I responded to that. I hope my explanation helps, but I'll post my response here for others to see as well. 

Hello txDrumsticks,

Thank you for contacting EVGA customer support. While disabling Vdroop may help you achieve a higher overclock, it may not help keep a stable long term overclock. What VDroop is doing is keeping a higher idle voltage so that while your CPU is idle, the CPU does not crash due to the voltage dropping off. However, if you overclock your processor and set the VCore to about 1.4V it would be preferred that VDroop is turned off so that the VCore does not reach
    a crazy voltage at about 1.5V+ -.

To resolve the VDroop stability issues that may come with having it disabled try setting a higher VCore voltage, for example if you have your VCore set to 1.35V and your processor is stable under load, try setting it to 1.4V or 1.45V to see which would be stable while under idle conditions. Of course you will still need to experiment with this.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Regards,
    EVGA.

Thanks for your reply. I had a follow up, related question, but I figured I'd ask it here in case anybody comes looking. I'm still kind of interested in knowing exactly what my vcore is doing (especially if the change in vcore due to vdroop on/off changes based on the actual value set for vcore) - are there contacts on the EVGA 300 series boards (the Z370 Micro specifically, for me) where I can read the vcore with a multimeter? I can't find anything like that on the manual, but I figure it may exist somewhere. Thanks!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile