What kind of bike's does everyone have?

Author
RainStryke
The Advocate
  • Total Posts : 15872
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 60
2020/05/24 14:25:56 (permalink)
I'm curious how many bicyclist we have in the forum, maybe share a picture or biking story. I was also wanting to share my collection. 

I got around to cleaning out my garage today and cleaned up my bikes, here is a picture of them.

Picked this up on a deal for $775. My newest bike, so far i'm loving this thing! Can't wait to get this thing on some trails with more hills...

This is my fastest, 2015 Scott Metrix 20 - Picked it up for $400 if I remember correctly. It's pretty light and top gear is plenty. That bike seat was the best one I could find to take a decent amount of the bump impact, had to go with something cloth, that gel/plastic material was not much help. Biggest problem I have with this bike is... inner tubes... they seem to pop a lot with these 700C tires. I'm thinking it's my weight... I was around 260LB before buying the GT so I am trying to work off the weight so I can get back on this one. The SORA drive-set is very smooth. 

Got this 2011 TREK Fuel EX5 from a guy on craigslist. He told me it was $1700 at the shop, I bought it from him for $550. I had to replace the brakes, I really wanted to keep the coloring scheme so I ended up going with Shimano Alivio/Altus level brakes, they are not that great... but they work for now. I just put that seat on it because it looked fun. This is a really comfortable bike... The brakes were a nightmare though, I took this bike on a 50 mile ride... about 22 miles in, the brakes kept rubbing the rotor causing it to make this awful noise and also create resistance for rest of the ride. The only way to make it stop for about 60 seconds was to pump the brakes hard... It was pretty agonizing on the way home, I ate a whole pizza that night and bought those replacement brakes lol

I'm no biking enthusiast... I honestly don't bike enough to claim that. But I do enjoy it and I know it's really good for my health... so i'm trying to build up to being one. Does anyone else here do longer distance runs? I'm curious what people pack with them, the tools you expect to use... food you can eat half way through the ride to give your body some carbs.

Main PC | Secondary PC
Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

26 Replies Related Threads

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/24 14:42:17 (permalink)
    I like a lot of the features on the TREK. The hand grips look comfy. I have not been into bikes myself, still looks enjoyable. 
    In my opinion if your going 50 miles on a bike, I would say you are a enthusiast. Good exercise. 
    Do the fatter tires give a smoother ride? 
    post edited by notfordman - 2020/05/24 14:43:44
    RainStryke
    The Advocate
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/24 15:42:43 (permalink)
    notfordman
    I like a lot of the features on the TREK. The hand grips look comfy. I have not been into bikes myself, still looks enjoyable. 
    In my opinion if your going 50 miles on a bike, I would say you are a enthusiast. Good exercise. 
    Do the fatter tires give a smoother ride? 

That was about 2 years ago. Working back up to it... only 2 rides so far this year and the longest one was around 12 miles so far. The 50 mile rides are a bit much and take around 4 hours to complete. I was also about 20LB lighter... im at 240LB now.

Yeah, the fatter tires definitely help with the smoothness of the ride.

Main PC | Secondary PC

32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/24 16:03:48 (permalink)
    I've had a few over the years my current 2 bikes I have are my 2019 Cannondale Bad Habit and a 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper. I kept the old Stumpjumper to have a backup bike or for a loaner for friends who want to try out the sport.

2019 Cannondale Bad Habit

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper

LOL don't laugh too much but this was my first race. That was snapped by a randomly placed photographer that I wasn't expecting, hence the confused look on my face  I think this was in 2007

The bike I was riding was my 2007 Felt Virtue

This is a pic of me on the trails in NC on a Felt Redemption with the "equilink" suspension in 2007

And the following year I got Felt Redemption Team issue bike. It's a 2008 model. 

For me though this is the bike that I really started to take mountain biking seriously. I still have this frame and fork but was in the middle or overhauling it when for one reason or another I just never got around to finishing it so it's still to this day in my shed wating for it's moment in the sun to come again. I dunno, maybe I'll finally finish the restore and take her for a nostalgic ride one of these days. 

2003 Trek Liquid

EDIT: Was asked to remove any details about the bike store by my friend who used to own it for personal reasons
    post edited by CraptacularOne - 2020/05/30 12:16:33

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    RainStryke
    The Advocate
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/24 16:52:32 (permalink)
    Nice bikes all around, even the oldest. Those look like some nice trails in those pics. I remember seeing a video you posted a while back where you and a buddy was running through a dirt trail with some nice jumps. haha I stay away from jumps, I've had too many instances in my life where I had the wind blown out of me from taking a object off of a jump with me.

Main PC | Secondary PC

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/24 17:16:56 (permalink)
    RainStryke
    Nice bikes all around, even the oldest. Those look like some nice trails in those pics. I remember seeing a video you posted a while back where you and a buddy was running through a dirt trail with some nice jumps. haha I stay away from jumps, I've had too many instances in my life where I had the wind blown out of me from taking a object off of a jump with me.

LOL well getting bumps, cuts and bruises in mountain biking is really a "mind over matter" thing.........If you don't mind, it doesn't matter 

For real though you don't have to jump and get all aggressive on the trails, you can and should ride within your ability. It's only if you wanna start pushing those abilities that you get in trouble. I love jumping and riding aggressively, to me it's just fun. I've had my fair share of crashes and bumps and bruises. Hell I'm nursing a pretty gnarly scrape and bruise now LOL

Did this a week after I got my new Cannondale

That's my right arm right now. Just snapped a pic sitting in my bedroom. It's par for the course man. If you like to jump you're gonna end up with a few bumps and bruises. Never been afraid of falling down or taking a hit, I dunno I'm just not wired that way I guess lol. 

As for the video, you must mean this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGXy-dBo4cw

That was for a video project my Uncle was doing for his videography class he was taking at the time. That's me and my brother in law, and in that I'm riding the Felt Redemption Team I posted above. My uncle hated hiking through the trails with his camera equipment and it was hotter than hell that day too LOL. It was a good time though. 

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/24 20:14:45 (permalink)
    Now with newer tech, should be able to take nice videos on 4K @ 60hz.  Should leave us with nice details of that trail.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/24 22:26:50 (permalink)
    I have a 2012 Specialized Roubaix Elite that I bought brand new in 2013, and haven’t taken the time to ride it over the last few years. I need to make it a point to ride it when I get home.
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/24 22:26:55 (permalink)

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

RainStryke
    The Advocate
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/27 20:06:57 (permalink)
    CraptacularOne
    RainStryke

LOL well getting bumps, cuts and bruises in mountain biking is really a "mind over matter" thing.........If you don't mind, it doesn't matter 

For real though you don't have to jump and get all aggressive on the trails, you can and should ride within your ability. It's only if you wanna start pushing those abilities that you get in trouble. I love jumping and riding aggressively, to me it's just fun. I've had my fair share of crashes and bumps and bruises. Hell I'm nursing a pretty gnarly scrape and bruise now LOL

Did this a week after I got my new Cannondale

That's my right arm right now. Just snapped a pic sitting in my bedroom. It's par for the course man. If you like to jump you're gonna end up with a few bumps and bruises. Never been afraid of falling down or taking a hit, I dunno I'm just not wired that way I guess lol. 

As for the video, you must mean this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGXy-dBo4cw

That was for a video project my Uncle was doing for his videography class he was taking at the time. That's me and my brother in law, and in that I'm riding the Felt Redemption Team I posted above. My uncle hated hiking through the trails with his camera equipment and it was hotter than hell that day too LOL. It was a good time though. 

Ouch... looks like that's gonna last a bit. Probably 2-3 weeks.

I still expect the occasional wreck even when trying to keep it jump free. About 5 years ago I was flying down a twisty hill, going 20+ MPH... I was leaning into a huge turn... about 50% of the way in, I ran into a 15 foot patch of algae. Momentum and all.. it had been quite a while since I had felt that kind of pain.

Yep, that's the video!

Main PC | Secondary PC

Bateh91
    • Total Posts : 60
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/27 20:23:05 (permalink)
    I'm riding the Marin Nail Trail don't have any pictures but just picked it up no enough hard core trails in my area for the need to get anymore travel than 120mm

CPU-Ryzen 5 3600x
    GPU- GIGABYTE Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660
    Mother Board- AsRock B450 Pro4
    RAM-HyperX Fury (4x4gb)
    Power Supply-EVGA 500BQ Bronze+
    Case-Cooler Master Q500L (Taking recommendations for an upgrade)

Monitor- MSI 32" OPTIX AG32C
    Keyboard- ROG Claymore Core
    Mouse- Logitech G 502 LE
    CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/28 11:35:38 (permalink)
    RainStryke

I still expect the occasional wreck even when trying to keep it jump free. About 5 years ago I was flying down a twisty hill, going 20+ MPH... I was leaning into a huge turn... about 50% of the way in, I ran into a 15 foot patch of algae. Momentum and all.. it had been quite a while since I had felt that kind of pain.

Yep, that's the video!

Well I was probably going about the same speed when I did that to my arm. It's a combination of me not looking at the jump before hand and someone not clearing off debris they may have knocked into the trail. In my defense though, I ride these particular trails all the time. We're talking multiple times a week so I'm very familiar with this particular jump so I didn't think anything of it when I launched off the lip. There was a little log/rooty bulb in the middle of the landing about half way down that someone had to have accidentally knocked off one of the sides. When I saw it, I had already committed to the jump and it was too late. I landed right on it and it kicked my front tire hard to the left and I got bucked off to the right and crashed right into the tree. A friend following said I did a helicopter 180 before I hit the ground. He thought for sure I had broken something, my arm or my shoulder or both he said from how hard I hit it. Though somehow, someway I broke nothing, I sat there for a min, shook it off and got back on my bike and finished the ride. It ended up just being scrapes and a gnarly bruise. 

Oh and you think it looks bad there? He's the same arm about 3 days after I took the fall.

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/28 15:57:05 (permalink)
    LOL, it "settled in nice". Sounds like you got lucky. Good. Probably didn't hurt the bike.
    RainStryke
    The Advocate
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/28 18:24:41 (permalink)
    CraptacularOne
    RainStryke

Yep, that's the video!

Well I was probably going about the same speed when I did that to my arm. It's a combination of me not looking at the jump before hand and someone not clearing off debris they may have knocked into the trail. In my defense though, I ride these particular trails all the time. We're talking multiple times a week so I'm very familiar with this particular jump so I didn't think anything of it when I launched off the lip. There was a little log/rooty bulb in the middle of the landing about half way down that someone had to have accidentally knocked off one of the sides. When I saw it, I had already committed to the jump and it was too late. I landed right on it and it kicked my front tire hard to the left and I got bucked off to the right and crashed right into the tree. A friend following said I did a helicopter 180 before I hit the ground. He thought for sure I had broken something, my arm or my shoulder or both he said from how hard I hit it. Though somehow, someway I broke nothing, I sat there for a min, shook it off and got back on my bike and finished the ride. It ended up just being scrapes and a gnarly bruise. 

Oh and you think it looks bad there? He's the same arm about 3 days after I took the fall.

Yeah, just gotta keep up on the water intake and snacking on foods that are healthy for ya to speed it up. Whatever amount of water you are drinking is never enough unless your able to consume like 3 gallons of water a day, then i'd tell you to chill out man. 🤣 But really dude... that looks like a hard hit that could have done some deep damage. I would keep an eye on the purple spot at the lowest part of it...

Main PC | Secondary PC

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/28 18:58:47 (permalink)
    It's already almost gone. The bruising is all but vanished and just some scars now from the scrapes. I've conditioned my body to heal quickly by repeatedly doing foolish things to it Yeah it definitely could have been way worse for sure. 

EDIT just snapped another pic, so the first pic was 4 days ago and this is right now. I think it's gonna be fine, it's healing up nicely 

post edited by CraptacularOne - 2020/05/28 19:04:58

RainStryke
    The Advocate
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/29 05:59:21 (permalink)
    That looks WAYYY better lol that is some fast healing! Maybe some aloe vera or something to help with the scarring, but damn... i'm impressed how fast that healed for you.

Main PC | Secondary PC

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/29 10:18:25 (permalink)
    RainStryke
    That looks WAYYY better lol that is some fast healing! Maybe some aloe vera or something to help with the scarring, but damn... i'm impressed how fast that healed for you.

Like I said, conditioned from repeatedly doing foolish things  I dunno, I've always healed on the quicker side even from broken bones. I guess I'm just lucky my body can keep up with the abuse I'm prone to keep giving it lol 

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/29 10:18:31 (permalink)
    RainStryke

Might be descendant of wolverine?🤔😹😹😼

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 17474
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/29 17:18:01 (permalink)
    Funny!  I saved this picture years ago when I was looking at bikes.   know this guy?

Attached Image(s)

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
    Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
    Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
    education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
    A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/29 17:34:11 (permalink)
    Ha, that’s from one of my NC trips. I have a bunch of photos from that trip was a good time. that’s funny that you have that lol

Chrome-M-Dragon
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7806
    • Ribbons : 30
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/29 17:43:45 (permalink)
    None, need to get one. Doing the keto thing and i'm down nearly 20lbs in lil over 3 weeks. Would love to get back to biking again. Never had any as fancy as you guys though.

People are, well, only Human. We know that. The rule of law is borne out in identifying, condemning, and punishing those who violate the standards on which we all agree. This is exactly what we do in america. -James Inhofe

Use any of the codes below for a free hug and a high five! Much love to all you wonderful nerds!
    Associate: 5L1LJB5JQ94H892 Affiliate Code: QRXQKO8ZJS

Bateh91
    • Total Posts : 60
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/29 18:30:27 (permalink)
    Anyone ever tried a Banshee bike? i just found out about them and they are stunning but not cheap thats for sure if you have just let me know

CPU-Ryzen 5 3600x
    GPU- GIGABYTE Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660
    Mother Board- AsRock B450 Pro4
    RAM-HyperX Fury (4x4gb)
    Power Supply-EVGA 500BQ Bronze+
    Case-Cooler Master Q500L (Taking recommendations for an upgrade)

Monitor- MSI 32" OPTIX AG32C
    Keyboard- ROG Claymore Core
    Mouse- Logitech G 502 LE
    Knightviper
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 610
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/30 07:15:46 (permalink)
    Back bike is a Giant Trance X2 and the copper bike is a Specialized Pitch Pro had both bikes for 12 years now and they are still going strong

Attached Image(s)

EVGA Z270 Classified K, Intel core i7 7700k , EVGA CLC 280 AIO, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3200MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, Samsung Evo 840 250 SSD, 1TB WD Caviar Green 
    EVGA 1070Ti FTW 2 
    EVGA 1300w G2
    Windows 10 64-bit
    Evga DG-87

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/30 08:07:53 (permalink)
    Knightviper
    Back bike is a Giant Trance X2 and the copper bike is a Specialized Pitch Pro had both bikes for 12 years now and they are still going strong

Very nice! I never actually owned a Giant bike. I have demo'd a Giant Reign a few years ago and really enjoyed it however. 

Knightviper
    SSC Member
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/30 08:15:27 (permalink)
    CraptacularOne Giants are great bikes the Reign series are something special

EVGA Z270 Classified K, Intel core i7 7700k , EVGA CLC 280 AIO, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3200MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, Samsung Evo 840 250 SSD, 1TB WD Caviar Green 
    EVGA 1070Ti FTW 2 
    EVGA 1300w G2
    Windows 10 64-bit
    Evga DG-87

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/30 10:50:35 (permalink)
    Knightviper
    CraptacularOne Giants are great bikes the Reign series are something special

I don't doubt it, I enjoyed the ride on the Reign during my demo with it. No real reason I would be opposed to owning one, just never really got around to it I guess. Also the fact that the nearest bike shop that that I know of that carries Giant is over an hour drive away from my house. 

Knightviper
    SSC Member
    Re: What kind of bike's does everyone have? 2020/05/31 02:41:39 (permalink)
    I need to get my finger out and either fix or get a new rear wheel for the pitch pro, It is buckled and has 2 broken spokes that need to be replace. Its getting harder and more expensive to find a good 26" rear wheel now a days

EVGA 1070Ti FTW 2 
    EVGA 1300w G2
    Windows 10 64-bit
    Evga DG-87

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile