EVGA

What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on auto?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49167
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/08 18:58:21 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Sajin
HeavyHemi
Sajin
Lol. Eveyone knows you should set your lanes to gen3 in the bios as running auto could sometimes cause issues. 

LOL? You just can't help yourself. Your opinion is not fact nor is yet another of your arguments. You should inform every motherboard maker that they are wrong and they should change the default to GEN3 versus AUTO.  Get busy....and be sure to report the LOL you get in response.
Sajin

Exactly. It won't hurt anything, and it will help prevent issues.

Forcing GEN3 might cause issues with an older GEN2 card.  AUTO is the correct mode according to every motherboard maker despite your LOL opinion to the contrary.
Facts matter. You're welcome.

Oh, but we aren't talking about a GEN2 video card now are we? LOL.

No actually we are still talking about your demand that forcing GEN 3 is the only correct way to set up a motherboard, period. Seems rather silly when you have your your demand stated so starkly, don't you agree?  Meanwhile, a professional says you're wrong. Oh well.

I never said gen3 was the only correct way to set up a motherboard.
Ghost13
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 214
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/10 23:07:34 (permalink)
run in GEN 3 ,  download GPU-Z and see if you are running in 1.1 or ??  if its 1.1 go to bios and switch to Gen 3 .  1.1 means you are running in gen 1
CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14533
  • Ribbons : 222
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/11 11:30:05 (permalink)
Ghost13
run in GEN 3 ,  download GPU-Z and see if you are running in 1.1 or ??  if its 1.1 go to bios and switch to Gen 3 .  1.1 means you are running in gen 1

All current GPUs return to 1.1 in idle and low power states. Opening GPU-Z and seeing it at 1.1 at desktop is normal and supposed to be happening. As was stated many times before there is absolutely no need to force gen3 at all times for no reason. You should only try forcing gen3 if you have an issue with your hardware not being detected properly. As I just stated, seeing 1.1 in desktop at idle is perfectly normal and done so by design. There is no performance benefit at all by forcing gen 3. 
post edited by CraptacularOne - 2019/04/11 11:33:49

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
Ghost13
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 214
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/11 14:48:24 (permalink)
mine dont, mine shows Gen 3 in bios and with GPU-Z .  even at idle .... 
to me if the card is a 3.0 then run it at 3.0  Gen 3 in bios .. 
CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/11 15:18:36 (permalink)
Ghost13

Clearly you didn't understand or don't understand how modern GPUs work. Of course yours shows 3.0 at all times since you pointlessly forced gen3 in the BIOS. You don't need to do this since the card will automatically instantly go back to 3.0 spec when you enter a game or application that requires full bandwidth or power. When your card is idle or in low power state it returns to 1.1 spec to reduce power consumption since there is zero reason to be running at 3.0 spec while sitting idle. What reason do you have that you feel you need the full bandwidth of 3.0 while browsing the web or watching netflix? That's like using a dumptruck to fill up a 5 gallon bucket. 

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/11 15:30:18 (permalink)
CraptacularOne
Ghost13

Clearly you didn't understand or don't understand how modern GPUs work. Of course yours shows 3.0 at all times since you pointlessly forced gen3 in the BIOS. You don't need to do this since the card will automatically instantly go back to 3.0 spec when you enter a game or application that requires full bandwidth or power. When your card is idle or in low power state it returns to 1.1 spec to reduce power consumption since there is zero reason to be running at 3.0 spec while sitting idle. What reason do you have that you feel you need the full bandwidth of 3.0 while browsing the web or watching netflix? That's like using a dumptruck to fill up a 5 gallon bucket. 

Forcing Gen3 in the bios doesn't make gpu-z read 3.0 all the time. I know as I have all my lanes set to gen3, and my cards still idle down to 1.1 according to gpu-z.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/11 15:38:29 (permalink)
Sajin
HeavyHemi
Sajin
HeavyHemi
Sajin
Lol. Eveyone knows you should set your lanes to gen3 in the bios as running auto could sometimes cause issues. 

LOL? You just can't help yourself. Your opinion is not fact nor is yet another of your arguments. You should inform every motherboard maker that they are wrong and they should change the default to GEN3 versus AUTO.  Get busy....and be sure to report the LOL you get in response.
Sajin

Exactly. It won't hurt anything, and it will help prevent issues.

Forcing GEN3 might cause issues with an older GEN2 card.  AUTO is the correct mode according to every motherboard maker despite your LOL opinion to the contrary.
Facts matter. You're welcome.

Oh, but we aren't talking about a GEN2 video card now are we? LOL.

No actually we are still talking about your demand that forcing GEN 3 is the only correct way to set up a motherboard, period. Seems rather silly when you have your your demand stated so starkly, don't you agree?  Meanwhile, a professional says you're wrong. Oh well.

I never said gen3 was the only correct way to set up a motherboard.

"Lol. Eveyone knows you should set your lanes to gen3 in the bios as running auto could sometimes cause issues."

Your mocking tone and what everyone knows is the what you should do  and when queried again, you again argued:

"Of course I'm being serious. In the past I've fixed peoples issues by telling them to run gen3 instead of auto."

Just stop it. It's a bad look and bad for the forum.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/11 16:20:20 (permalink)
Sajin
CraptacularOne
Ghost13

Forcing Gen3 in the bios doesn't make gpu-z read 3.0 all the time. I know as I have all my lanes set to gen3, and my cards still idle down to 1.1 according to gpu-z.

Forgive me for not testing something so pointless thoroughly 

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/11 18:06:18 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
"Lol. Eveyone knows you should set your lanes to gen3 in the bios as running auto could sometimes cause issues."

Your mocking tone and what everyone knows is the what you should do  and when queried again, you again argued:

"Of course I'm being serious. In the past I've fixed peoples issues by telling them to run gen3 instead of auto."

Just stop it. It's a bad look and bad for the forum.

Mocking tone? I'm was just stating a fact. In the op's scenario running AUTO, or GEN3 is perfectly fine, but I still suggest GEN3 for the op's scenario as running AUTO can sometimes causes issues. That doesn't necessarily mean everyone should run GEN3. Maybe I should have worded my sentence better. All comments in this thread apply to the op's specific scenario, and not other peoples scenarios.
Delirious
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 17474
  • Ribbons : 61
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/11 19:35:23 (permalink)
pretty heated discussion.  While a healthy talk about the pros and cons of Gen3 use and auto vs forced settings,    (like that synopsis ???)  Anyway.   Lets focus on the debate rather than, well you know.  

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/11 19:47:20 (permalink)
Delirious
pretty heated discussion.  While a healthy talk about the pros and cons of Gen3 use and auto vs forced settings,    (like that synopsis ???)  Anyway.   Lets focus on the debate rather than, well you know.  

Agreed, I'm done with this thread. He's apparently too stubborn to admit when he's wrong despite literally every motherboard maker on the planet disagreeing with him and this is going to escalate quickly if I really have to put him in his place (as I'm sure all the other moderators are just waiting for me to blow up but I'm not about that anymore) I started posting in this thread out of genuine want to help and correct some things that were posted incorrectly. 

Anyway I'm sure the OP has made his choice at this point and I don't see a reason for this thread to continue to waste people's time. 

atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12753
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/11 20:08:14 (permalink)
CraptacularOne
Delirious

Agreed, I'm done with this thread. He's apparently too stubborn to admit when he's wrong despite literally every motherboard maker on the planet disagreeing with him and this is going to escalate quickly if I really have to put him in his place (as I'm sure all the other moderators are just waiting for me to blow up but I'm not about that anymore) I started posting in this thread out of genuine want to help and correct some things that were posted incorrectly. 

Anyway I'm sure the OP has made his choice at this point and I don't see a reason for this thread to continue to waste people's time. 

don't be like that, at least let me finish my popcorn before you are done.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/12 16:59:24 (permalink)
I agree with CraptacularOne on this one. The truly frustrating thing is that moderators keep on deleting his long replies defending himself, but the moderator calling him out artificially gets to have the last word on the matter. Oh yeah, you have a long reply of many paragraphs explaining why the moderators's stance doesn't make sense? Delete.

Don't dare delete this. This is not an off-topic reply and is not an attack.

For anyone who doesn't have issues with their card entering gen 3 mode under 3D load, it absolutely is pointless to test the 'force gen 3' hypothesis and form an informed decision on the subject since it is a useless thing to do or recommend en masse in the first place. IF your card won't enter proper link width, sure, try it for troubleshooting. Until then, don't do it needlessly or recommend it needlessly. Exactly as Crap said, the test is simple (GPU-Z load test) and that is what should be recommended before en masse recommending something non-standard.

Scenario:
User sees "force gen 3" as a recommendation and does so. 6 months later, their GPU craps out. For troubleshooting, they swap out the video card for another older spare gen 2 card they had laying around. "It doesn't work either?", they think, so then they come to the conclusion that the video card was fine and that their motherboard or CPU or PSU or something is faulty. They buy something they don't need just because they changed a seemingly unrelated BIOS setting 6 months ago (which they didn't need to do in the first place) and forgot about it.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/04/12 17:14:34

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/12 17:11:42 (permalink)
ty_ger07
I agree with CraptacularOne on this one. The truly frustrating thing is that moderators keep on deleting his long replies defending himself, but the moderator calling him out artificially gets to have the last word on the matter. Oh yeah, you have a long reply of many paragraphs explaining why the moderators's stance doesn't make sense? Delete.

Don't dare delete this. This is not an off-topic reply and is not an attack.

For anyone who doesn't have issues with their card entering gen 3 mode under 3D load, it absolutely is pointless to test the 'force gen 3' hypothesis and form an informed decision on the subject since it is a useless thing to do or recommend en masse in the first place. IF your card won't enter proper link width, sure, try it for troubleshooting. Until then, don't do it needlessly or recommend it needlessly. Exactly as Crap said, the test is simple (GPU-Z load test) and that is what should be recommended before en masse recommending something non-standard.

Oh i read it too and going to take a screenshot going forward to re-post it.  Again a clearly way of abuse of power by someone who does not want others to have the last word on stating the truth.
Craptacularone has a good rep not just in this forums but in others as well, and i know him from way back. So when Crap makes valid point and argument over a something is because he has a good knowledge of the subject and has proven over the years.
All i need is for Afterburner to post a John Wick liner and will make my day.  By the way happy belated birthday AB, i know your birthday just past buddy

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/12 17:23:15 (permalink)
Oh, he deleted my reply? How utterly pathetic of him. Clearly someone's status as a moderator has gone to their head and thinks they are incapable of being proven wrong. 

Whatever, I know he's wrong and most others know he wrong, I have to assume he knows he's wrong and now we can add petty on top of it. 

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/12 17:30:51 (permalink)
If you believe a moderator has abused their power feel free to contact evga directly.

Forum admin: https://forums.evga.com/Profile/3073454/
Webmaster: Webmaster@evga.com
CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/12 17:41:47 (permalink)
Sajin
If you believe a moderator has abused their power feel free to contact evga directly.

What's the point? No one is going to do anything about you and your petty need to be right even in the face of overwhelming contradiction. It's clear that you think you are above reproach.

You know as well as I do nothing will be done about any of it regardless which is why you're posting this nonsense in the fist place. Look, I really didn't have a problem with you up to this point. I thought Hemi was kind of going hard at you for no substantial reason. But I see now what must have led him to that frustration and the frustration of knowing that nothing will be done about it. For the record I don't think you need to be removed as moderator as from what I've seen in general you do seem to want to help. I do however think you need to take a step back and realize however that you are after all just a "moderator" this isn't a license to do whatever and delete whatever you want because you may disagree with it or not like it making a point that contradicts what you have said. 

atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/12 17:43:07 (permalink)
Sajin

how can we make an argument if the post was deleted? seriously is like going to a detective to look at the crime scene for clues and the crime scene was clean before he got there.
IF someone makes an argument and it is not against the TOS then you should not delete it, specially if the MOD is the one who broke the TOS and is just covering his trails.

EVGATech_AdamB
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1930
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/15 10:57:29 (permalink)
Thread has been unlocked by me. This thread got derailed but I have faith that cooler heads will prevail. If anyone has an issue with a moderator, EVGA tech, or anyone else, please PM me directly so I can look into it. With that being said, let's all keep this thread back on topic about PCIe slots. Any member issues need to be directed to me via PM.

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
EVGATech_AdamB
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1930
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: What do you all know about PCI-Express GEN3? Should I enable or leave the feature on a 2019/04/15 11:34:07 (permalink)
atfrico
Sajin

how can we make an argument if the post was deleted? seriously is like going to a detective to look at the crime scene for clues and the crime scene was clean before he got there.
IF someone makes an argument and it is not against the TOS then you should not delete it, specially if the MOD is the one who broke the TOS and is just covering his trails.

Everything on the forums is logged, including moderator actions. I can look up a post or thread to see what happened, even if a moderator removed it. If there is ever an issue, please PM me directly.

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile