EVGA

Helpful ReplyWhat are people using for to monitor Traffic congestion in your city?

Author
SmookinJoe
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1360
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2024/06/27 14:09:33 (permalink)
Hi
Yesterday they shutdown our local AM radio traffic program.
AM 730 All traffic all the time.
https://www.google.com/se...l+traffic+all+the+time
https://www.reddit.com/r/..._formats_in_vancouver/
You got to participate by calling in traffic issues.
They worked hard and for the most part did a good job for the lower mainland of Vancouver BC.
Border crossings, bridges, protests, accidents, construction...radar...creatures crossing the road...everything!
I loved it
..and cursed it alittle...lol
I have a TomTom that I use for to find places but it doesn't monitor traffic volume or delays.
Another thing I should mention, I am limited to truck routes...

What do you guys use?

post edited by SmookinJoe - 2024/06/27 19:57:17

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21211
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: What are people using for to monitor Traffic congestion in your city? 2024/06/27 15:55:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SmookinJoe 2024/06/29 16:58:37
I use Google Maps. Even if I have traveled the route a hundred times, I get maps going so I have a recommended route at the start and get alerts when traffic changes and new route recommendations become available.
If you don't like Google, there is Ways, or I am sure others. Everyone is tracking you or selling your data anyway.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

SmookinJoe
FTW Member
Re: What are people using for to monitor Traffic congestion in your city? 2024/06/27 17:02:44 (permalink)
ty_ger07
I use Google Maps. Even if I have traveled the route a hundred times, I get maps going so I have a recommended route at the start and get alerts when traffic changes and new route recommendations become available.
If you don't like Google, there is Ways, or I am sure others. Everyone is tracking you or selling your data anyway.

I did find the "Waze" app, in my research, but I thought I would, have to, mount something bigger than my phone to be able to see it easier. Last thing I want to do is to be squinting at a screen when I should be focusing on distant traffic. I have heard it doesn't have as much detail..lane position and type of obstruction.
That was the great thing about AM 730...background noise talking to your subconscious so you were aware how to help the traffic flow surrounding you.
Thanks for the input.

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31124
  • Ribbons : 123
Re: What are people using for to monitor Traffic congestion in your city? 2024/06/28 12:22:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SmookinJoe 2024/06/29 16:58:48
GPS traffic only works one of two ways: (some require subscription)

1) Only IF, the local road authority actually broadcasts the information, I've had this be a total fail on the East Coast

2) Newer GPS that are tied to your cell phone & there is data sharing with a larger group

GPS routing seems to be OK to very Poor --->like Garmin (No - Garmin - I Never want to go through downtown Washington DC instead of the beltway, it is never faster)

Waze is much better at finding a good way around traffic & accidents, BUT:

1) Waze will send you through parts of a major city you should probably avoid for your own safety (Kensington excerpt "It is one of the most violent pockets of the city of Philadelphia and I would probably submit to you the East Coast,"),  (like Waze did recently, when all lanes were closed on I95 South in Philadelphia)

2) Waze is hard to impossible to customize your route (on your cell phone), unless you set small trips - to different locations (I've not been able to redirect it to a different route)  Waze picks what it thinks is the best route to your destination - you seem to be stuck with no options - unlike those Google maps offers

3) Correct = "it doesn't have as much detail..lane position and type of obstruction

Today one of three lanes is blocked ahead Message reads = "object in roadway" Not very helpful at highway speeds (ended up being a dead deer in left most lane & left shoulder) 

When you have several lanes in a city or highway setting: Waze does not indicate dedicated turn lanes or which lane to be in for your current course, just a very general blue line showing you the concept of direction you want to end up going.  This is a big issue when you are at funky intersections where the roads are not at 90 degrees & maybe you have multiple directions to select from.  (do you want the way the road curves to the left, the easy 40 degree left, or the 130 degree hard left at the next intersection?)

Maybe others have figured out how to use Waze better than I have? 

I find it less than helpful, even with my passenger using Waze & I'm just left trying to dodge those who want to "play bumper cars" & jaywalkers.

I much prefer my TomTom for lane information, the traffic information was a little so so & I did not renew the subscription to use with my cell phone for "live info"

Waze has proven better at getting me around a traffic issue; but, I would not want to use it without a passenger to  use the cell phone & cypher what Waze is trying to tell you to do, especially in a city setting.  Once your bumper to bumper & already committed to a lane at a traffic light it is near impossible to "correct your course" & there is no way a semi could do what I've had to do in my 4Runner.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

SmookinJoe
FTW Member
Re: What are people using for to monitor Traffic congestion in your city? 2024/06/28 13:37:18 (permalink)
I have had weird things happen when I was using google to direct me by voice. Silence when I should be turning then suddenly telling me to turn around??
Not sure what I am going to do now.
I don't know why I am so worried...I do get paid by the hour...
If I hear of something I feel is worthwhile I am still willing to investigate...

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102859
  • Ribbons : 85
Re: What are people using for to monitor Traffic congestion in your city? 2024/06/29 00:20:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SmookinJoe 2024/06/29 16:58:57
SmookinJoe
Hi
Yesterday they shutdown our local AM radio traffic program.
AM 730 All traffic all the time.
https://www.google.com/se...l+traffic+all+the+time
https://www.reddit.com/r/..._formats_in_vancouver/
You got to participate by calling in traffic issues.
They worked hard and for the most part did a good job for the lower mainland of Vancouver BC.
Border crossings, bridges, protests, accidents, construction...radar...creatures crossing the road...everything!
I loved it
..and cursed it alittle...lol
I have a TomTom that I use for to find places but it doesn't monitor traffic volume or delays.
Another thing I should mention, I am limited to truck routes...

What do you guys use?

TomTom traffic is available for most all TomTom GO units purchased in the last few years

https://www.tomtom.com/en...ic-info/north-america/

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

SmookinJoe
FTW Member
Re: What are people using for to monitor Traffic congestion in your city? 2024/06/29 08:41:27 (permalink)
rjohnson11
TomTom traffic is available for most all TomTom GO units purchased in the last few years

https://www.tomtom.com/en...ic-info/north-america/

Thanks I will take a look at the unit prices.
Currently this is the free option using the AM band of my truck radio.
Full of uninteresting background noise between traffic reports..
https://vancouver.citynews.ca/audio/

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102859
  • Ribbons : 85
Re: What are people using for to monitor Traffic congestion in your city? 2024/06/29 09:07:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SmookinJoe 2024/06/29 16:59:13
In Canada this is the correct website to purchase TomTom traffic: https://www.tomtom.com/en...ic-info/north-america/

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile