EVGA

UEFI bootloaders on z270 Classified K?

Author
Fewmets
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2017/03/04 08:50:21 (permalink)
How do we get UEFI bootloaders other than the default Windows one working with the z270 Classified K? What am I doing wrong.

Installed rEFInd to my ESP to get Fedora to boot under \\EFI\\rEFInd. Reboot.

Go to bios and go to boot override. It's not listed. Okay, I'll just add it.

Go to the boot section to add a boot option for it... No option to add or remove boot options... that's frustrating... But fine... Reboot.

Boot a Fedora live USB, use efibootmgr to manually add a boot entry for rEFInd... I should be good now right? Reboot. Nope still nothing.

Finally get fed up and move rEFInd to the default boot directory... \\EFI\\BOOT\\BOOTX64.EFI. Reboot. Still doesn't work...

Why does this UEFI implementation not even read the default freaking bootloader? It just ignores it and jumps straight to the windows one... How do we use non-Windows OSes on this board?

Update: got a workaround set up by booting rEFInd off a USB stick, but this is more a short term patch than a long term solution for what I hope are pretty obvious reasons.
post edited by Fewmets - 2017/03/04 09:13:10

3 Replies Related Threads

Fewmets
    Re: UEFI bootloaders on z270 Classified K? 2017/03/14 19:06:19 (permalink)
    Am I really the only one struggling trying to get a Linux dual boot going on this motherboard?
    Cordorb
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 636
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: UEFI bootloaders on z270 Classified K? 2017/03/14 23:37:40 (permalink)
    You could be - everyone seems to be in the graphic card area  trying to step-up  :-)

I was only trying to dual boot win-10 and that only sort of worked.

My plans to try this  motherboard as a hackintosh are on the back burner.

Fewmets
    Re: UEFI bootloaders on z270 Classified K? 2017/03/15 09:06:24 (permalink)
    Fair enough. I'd love to hear EVGA's input on this though. It's getting to the point where I'm just about ready to throw my $400 motherboard in the garbage and buy a newer one from Asus or Gigabyte instead for 2/3 the cost.

I cannot for the life of me understand why this board seemingly just forgets it's boot configuration every time it's reset. While I can understand not having a GUI to add new EFI boot entries back in 2010/2011 when they were first a new thing, they've had 6 years now to refine it...

I get that this is likely an AMI issue and not actually an EVGA issue, but with a board that I'm paying this much money for, I don't understand why the firmware they're using for it ignores manual configuration, and lacks a basic feature my laptop from 5 years ago has in it's UEFI...
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile