Thermal Pads sizes on 3080/3090 FTW3s

Author
Swash87
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/07/30 05:47:21 (permalink)
Hi!

Theres a lot of information floating around about correct sizes of pads and such i thought it'd be helpful to start a thread to actually consolidate this info.
Namely size of pad, where you put it and what brand (cause we all know the squishyness between brands changes) and what for (watercooling, stock cooler, back plate, etc)

I suspect theres quite a few here that have watercooled their cards too, so info on what size's you used specifically when putting on a waterblock and what type of waterblock you used would no doubt be super helpful.
What did you use on the Memory? What did you use on VRM's? What did you use on the rear of the board (either on memory>backplate, memory>active cooling, or PCB>to backplate for 3080's). What about Chokes and such?

Has anyone tried using the ThermalPutty from Digikey? (I've heard of some people using it but no real results, just a general consensus that it works well and negates the need to know specific sizes)

------

Personally i've literally just got my Bykski block going on my 3080 (Actually looks amazing imo, and the cooling performance on the core is awesome, on my 3080 with the "power load balance" problem (only drawing 60w from 3rd pci-e 8pin), it locks the core at 2100mhz @ ~48 Degree's on OCCT (drawing 410-420w on a 450w bios) but the memory leaves a bit to be desired and i put this down to a over sized thermal pads and just junk no name chinese pads. I intend of changing them out (someone posted here switching to a brandname 1 or 1.5mm pad got them a 20 degree temp drop over the crappy bykski pads!), they're also way too thick for the backplate (i feel 1-1.2mm would be better, a lot of messing about to get the backplate on and it warps a bit because of the height, though the backplate is nice and hot so they definitely transfer heat!).

I may possibly go for some "ok" thinner pads on the rear and try out the Digikey thermal putty on the VRM's, Chokes and put a really good pads on the memory its self

Attached Image(s)

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile