EVGA

The great graphics card shortage of 2020 (and 2021)

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102323
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2021/01/24 03:21:08 (permalink)
The great graphics card shortage of 2020 (and 2021) - BBC News

PC gaming, in particular, is having a renaissance. The Steam game platform saw records broken for all its peak statistics in 2020 - 21% more games purchased, and 50% more hours played. But it means avid gamers are facing a big problem: graphics cards, the heart of a gaming PC, are incredibly hard to get hold of.
For months, we've seen gamers compete for supply, camping out in front of stores, crashing websites and most of all, paying hugely inflated prices in the hunt for high-end gaming.

What's the problem?

An office PC might work fine with built-in graphics power, but if you want to do any serious gaming, a dedicated graphics card (GPU) is a must. It can be half the cost or more of a gaming PC. Better lighting, higher resolution output, and more frames per second - the key to ultra-smooth gameplay - are all usually determined by the GPU.

That's a big deal for gamers like Leonora Tomlinson-Bennett, who works in the gaming industry and dabbles in streaming. She was "quite excited" about the release of Nvidia'a new 3000 series of cards in September. "Part of my job is content creation, so I'll go into the game and capture content - and obviously if you want to present that [publicly], you want it to look the best it can." One of the reasons demand is so high is that the new cards are actually much better than many expected, with performance improvements of anywhere from 50-90% over the previous generation. At the same time, new games like Cyberpunk 2077 are crippling older consoles, and stretching the limits of older PC cards. "They're a massive step up and my graphics card is really quite outdated," Leonora explained. She's been unable to find the high-end RTX 3080 card she wants, and has had to resort to paying in advance for a not-quite-as-powerful 3070 on back-order. "I'm on the waiting list. I think I'm something like number 3,000 in the queue." The shortage hit the ultra-top end, too. Several people told me they'd wanted a 3080, starting at £649.

But the shortage meant some shelled out on the semi-pro 3090, at a whopping £1,399, because it was the only high-end card available.

Why is there a big shortage?

There's no single reason for the huge demand. Early last year, Chinese manufacturing was temporarily limited due to the coronavirus outbreak; later, shipping delays hit the electronics market; and the price of Bitcoin has made "mining" - using GPUs - more lucrative. All this has led to some remarkable scenes. In the US, when lockdown restrictions were lighter, people were queuing around the block at electronics retailers or camping overnight, hoping to secure one of a handful of cards that might be delivered in the morning. Retailers handed out vouchers to those in the top slots of the queue, while dealers tried to buy those spots - not the actual cards - for hundreds of dollars. And shoppers created sign-out procedures to allow for toilet breaks and food runs. But for most people, buying limited stock online has been the only option.

Is it getting better?

The two main graphics card makers - Nvidia and AMD - can't make product fast enough. "Gaming demand is off the charts," Nvidia's chief financial officer, Colette Kress, said during CES. "Our overall capacity has not been able to keep up". She warned that supply "will likely remain lean throughout Q1."  It's a similar story for AMD, where company boss Lisa Su said after its CES announcements that shortages are the result of demand "rather than manufacturing issues". "We're putting in additional capacity," she told enthusiast site AnandtechBut she warned: "It will take time to catch up… there will be tightness in the first half of the year". Added to that, the retailers have warned that automated bots are a big problem, buying cards up for re-sellers before real consumers have a chance - leading to massively inflated prices on eBay and other sites.

What about older cards?

There was some hope that the release of the new cards from AMD - the Radeon 6000 series - would help, two months after Nvidia's release. But they quickly sold out too. And it isn't just a problem for the new products. One regular upgrader told me mid-range cards now cost twice what they used to - and his two-year-old card is selling for almost the same price it did in 2018. Gareth Bellamy from Herefordshire is buying for his son. The family had been donating the gaming PC's computing power to medical research for the coronavirus through the Folding at Home project. He thought it was time to upgrade a five-year-old machine. But new cards "all seem quite pricey," he says. So he looked at the older, less powerful models. "Everything seemed to be out of stock - or if it was in stock it seemed even more expensive than the newer cards that were coming out." 
In the end, he gave up - unwilling to pay twice the list price.

What are retailers doing?

Sellers have been struggling to meet demand since the cards launched. Automated stock alert bots are widely used by the obsessive, alongside Discord chat groups where enthusiasts will trade tips and rumours about incoming stock. Finding one available for immediate purchase is almost impossible. For most, the solution has been to pay for the entire cost of a card on a pre-order, with little idea of when it will be shipped. That way, they are paying above recommended retail prices - but not by much.

I think this article explains a lot about the shortages and the reasons. 

post edited by rjohnson11 - 2021/01/24 03:25:24

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

11 Replies Related Threads

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: The great graphics card shortage of 2020 (and 2021) 2021/01/24 06:38:34 (permalink)
    It says nothing we already didn't know. What a waste of a read.
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2233
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: The great graphics card shortage of 2020 (and 2021) 2021/01/24 06:59:31 (permalink)
    I think this article says the definition of redundant is to see redundant.

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102323
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: The great graphics card shortage of 2020 (and 2021) 2021/01/24 07:07:54 (permalink)
    kram36

I disagree. I still continue to see complaints of shortages despite the fact that the media has been supplying lots of info. This shortage is also affecting the auto industry and their supply of chips. If I put the article here then anyone can refer another forum member to it. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    Re: The great graphics card shortage of 2020 (and 2021) 2021/01/24 07:47:41 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    kram36

I disagree. I still continue to see complaints of shortages despite the fact that the media has been supplying lots of info. This shortage is also affecting the auto industry and their supply of chips. If I put the article here then anyone can refer another forum member to it. 

Waste of a read (for me), people that still complain about shortages are doing it to just complain.
    glenn37216
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 475
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: The great graphics card shortage of 2020 (and 2021) 2021/01/24 19:22:15 (permalink)
    Good read. Although i don't agree with alot of it... People are not building new "work from home" computers with high end 3000 series cards... Sorry. I work at a pc repair shop and build pc's on a daily basis. Not one person has came in and said "I work from home now and need a new super duper pc with a high end graphics card for Office 95. In fact the average new pc user just wants a pc fast enough to surf the internet... -THAT'S 90% OF MY CUSTOMER BUILDS. THE OTHE 10%
    consist of teens wanting a fast enough pc to play esports games... 

Honestly  , I just think Nvidia's rep and supply chain would have been better off just not selling anything until mid 2021 instead of trickles of gpu's at original launch window. did they rush out new pcb designs because they were so afraid of amd's gpu's  ? why rush to release a new gpu when you know stock is not adequate yet ? makes no sense. You lose quality control when you rush....which is what I think is evga's problem with rma's . rushing out replacement gpu's before they are thoroughly tested.
     -Some people are having to return cards 3 or more times.  That's just ridiculous ! Who's in charge of quality assurance in the RMA dept. at evga ?  no one? 
    mangrafix
    • Total Posts : 13
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: The great graphics card shortage of 2020 (and 2021) 2021/01/26 20:57:52 (permalink)
    At least we can all finish those old games we own, and haven't played on new video cards. No complaints here.

donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15887
    Re: The great graphics card shortage of 2020 (and 2021) 2021/01/26 21:33:39 (permalink)
    Scalpers, Miners, purchasing bots, along with NVIDIA's, AMD's and TSMC's Fault. Not to mention NVIDIA with GEFORCE Now as well sure they have a ton of 20XX series cards, yet I am sure some stock from the 30XX series makes it into the servers with each batch released slowly and painfully. I know about it being AMD, NVIDIA's and TSMC's failure due to someone that dabbles in that industry, and consulting, not so much GEFORCE Now since most of that is powered by the over abundance of 20XX series cards. Miners are actually getting most of the consumer cards right now believe it or not. Followed by the Scalpers then the consumers are barely able to snag some that are on the hunt none stop.

As a retired AAA artist from the video game industry, its really not a big deal... Trust me when I say developers do not always get new shiny PC hardware. Most of the time they are 1-4 years behind on their workstations. Then at home on your demo reels, side projects its on you, If you are not making money like by the fistful freelancing/taking temp contracts at MAJOR AAA Studios and working remote "that is a unicorn opportunity and you need to be one of the best in the world to make that happen with a reputation as a miracle worker Jedi Master", if you are not at that level its not that important honestly. Content creators are left with the same choices as everyone else and if they are really rolling in the dough buying a prebuilt/premade system with that top shelf to close to top shelf hardware is no big deal. What it is is just a huge frustration for all gamers. 
    post edited by donta1979 - 2021/01/26 21:40:45

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: The great graphics card shortage of 2020 (and 2021) 2021/01/26 21:39:41 (permalink)
    if u r a miner u r serious about getting a card and will do anything to get one

take it from me i scrounged up two 3090's
    yes im mining - gotta pay those suckers off

fulltime mining???? no  not on all rigs
    I do like to play a game on those suckers

blame demand - blame fabs for cutting back on fabrication plants in slow times
    blame trump policies - blame Covid - and that resulted in resource shoratages
    when demand far exceed supply this is what You get.... instead of planning for boom times and having everything in place to meet demand

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

4RXN
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 102
    Re: The great graphics card shortage of 2020 (and 2021) 2021/01/27 23:55:57 (permalink)
    Saw an interesting article on PCMag today:
    Scalpers Have Sold 50,000 Nvidia RTX 3000 GPUs Through eBay, StockX

By Michael Kan    January 27, 2021

Scalpers have sold close to 50,000 Nvidia RTX 3000 graphics cards on eBay and sneaker site StockX, often at double the normal pricing, according to new analysis.

It’s no secret the RTX 3000 graphics cards are getting resold at insane prices. However, a Chicago-based data engineer named Michael Driscoll has been tracking sales on eBay using a computer script to understand the full scope of the scalping.

On Tuesday, he provided an update on the RTX 3000 sales after previously reporting scalpers had sold 15,224 units on eBay back in early December. The number has since shot up to 39,064 units across all RTX models from the 3060 Ti to 3090.

In addition, Driscoll has been tracking the RTX 3000 sales on StockX, a site best known for reselling hard-to-find sneakers from Nike and Adidas. According to his computer script, StockX has helped scalpers sell 10,616 units.

Taken together, 49,680 RTX 3000 GPUs were sold on both sites, raking in $61.5 million in sales. Driscoll estimates $15.2 million was made in profit for the scalpers while another $6.8 million went to eBay and StockX.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/scalpers-have-sold-50000-nvidia-rtx-3000-gpus-through-ebay-stockx
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: The great graphics card shortage of 2020 (and 2021) 2021/01/28 06:19:58 (permalink)
    4RXN
    Saw an interesting article on PCMag today:
    Scalpers Have Sold 50,000 Nvidia RTX 3000 GPUs Through eBay, StockX

I guess those implemented BOT-protections haven't been doing good enough , huh !? 

I need to look into buying EBAY stocks , they are the only guys making a killing during every major release.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    4RXN
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 102
    Re: The great graphics card shortage of 2020 (and 2021) 2021/01/28 14:29:23 (permalink)
    They've figured it out!

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile