HDD: WD Blue 320GB
CASE: The Tool Box LAN Party Rig

Check out the ToolBox LAN Party Rig

52 Replies Related Threads

inspector212
    • Total Posts : 68
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/10/21 19:47:50 (permalink)
    Well, I started attending a Thursday night LAN party about one and one half years ago but didn’t have a rig available to drag along. My four year old A8N32SLI – Deluxe build is hooked up to my big screen and was too much of a hassle to unhook and drag along. The host was nice enough to allow me to use one of his spares, which I did. I started to get this nagging urge to build another but wanted it to be in a case that was easily transportable and unique. First, I thought of a five gallon pail but that soon turned out not feasible. The pail’s diameter was too small to take even a micro-ATX board. Then, I thought of a portable toolbox. One with the handle on top and without drawers. Finding the elusive TB was not an easy task. After about three months of looking for one deep enough, I found it. If you want to duplicate this Mod, use this TB. Trust me

[link=http://www.stack-on.com/tool_and_hardware/handboxes/dxg-26-1.html]http://www.stack-on.com/t...andboxes/dxg-26-1.html[/link]

It’s deep enough to take a MB. It’s tall enough to take the GPUs. It’s long enough to take everything together. It has a steel front, bottom and back which means straight surfaces to mount parts to. With all the plastic TBs I looked at, they all had drafted fronts and backs. This would not work with out some “angular compensation” that I wanted to skip if at all possible. Others that were large enough either had drawers, which I would have to cut off and fake them back on or didn’t have the top handle that I needed for portability. I bought it online, no store carried them, and hoped it would work. Follow my tale for the details.

I bought a Lian-Li removable MB tray from performance-pcs. It can be found here. [link=http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3387]http://www.performance-pc...o&products_id=3387[/link] 

It was too tall to fit in the TB. So, I scribed a line on the back where it needed to be cut and sent it to a local machine shop for them to cut it down on the band saw. I didn’t get a before and after shot so you will have to wait for a pic later.

I measured the outline of the MB tray and drew up a cutting template in AutoCad. I gave the pattern to a friend who is a production supervisor at a metal fabrication shop and he cut it out on the laser for me. I stupidly forgot to add clearance to the inside so it didn’t fit over the MB tray. I added 1/32 clearance all the way around and had him recut it. This time it fit.

While I was waiting for the template to get cut, the PSU on my A8N32SLI-Deluxe rig popped. I contacted PC Power and Cooling and they fixed it ASAP. Sidenote: These guys are awesome. Anyway, I now had access to a PSU panel that I could also measure and have a template cut, which I did.

I measured for location and taped them onto the back of the TB.

Then cut them out with the dremel. Side note: Buy the reinforced cutting wheels.

Here is the first test fit with a junk MB and PSU. Here you can see the difference between the before and after trimming of the MB tray.

Shot from the inside

More to come later.

INSPECTOR212

MB: MSI P55 GD-65
    CPU: i5 750
    COOLER: Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
    RAM: 4GB G Skill 2000
    GPU: (2)EVGA GeForce GTS 250 512MB
    PSU: XIGMATEK 750W

inspector212
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/10/21 19:48:48 (permalink)
    It’s later

The underside of the MB tray was not supported so I worked up some tube spacers to hold it up.

I bought some aluminum tube and drove in some stainless steel self tapping screws to make threads. Sidenote: If you ever need to drive some screws, get a impact driver like my Craftsman. It is awesome. I was going to use threaded couplers but they were too short. They are 3/4”, I needed 7/8”.

Here is a pic with the spacer installed from the underside.

From the top

After a trial fit, the GPUs mounting screws didn’t line up at all.

Apparently the 7/8” I measured was not long enough. I added three washers under each spacer and that brought the MB up enough to get the screws started.

More to come soon

INSPECTOR212

inspector212
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/10/21 19:49:24 (permalink)
    It’s soon

There are two areas on the top of the TB, one on either side of the handle, that are perfect for two 80mm fans each. I didn’t want to use the typical wire fan grills for the TB mod so I worked on something a little more fitting. At work, on my own time, honest, I scanned some hand tools on our Coordinate Measuring Machine. Exported the scan to dxf and imported it into AutoCad. With a little work, I came up with some fan grills for the top of the TB. I may want to WC the CPU at some point so I emailed Danger Den to get the bolt hole pattern for their Black Ice Micro II radiator and made the pattern match so if ever I get to the WC phase, the radiator will bolt right up. It can be found here.

http://www.dangerden.com/...ice-micro-ii.html#tabs

I gave them to my friend and he lasered them out of stainless steel. What a guy. Sidenote; Befriend someone who works in a fabrication shop. Here is what I got back from him.

And

Here is one taped to the top for scribing the pattern.

Here is the TB with the holes and bolt hole pattern cut out.

With the grills in place.

One more with the fans and stainless steel hardware. Stainless is very expensive. Don’t use it. Sidenote; Don’t use stainless in future mods.

Close up.

From the inside.

Close up from the underside

More to come sometime

INSPECTOR212

inspector212
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/10/21 19:50:02 (permalink)
    It is now sometime.

The MB that I bought from a good friend, (No, you can’t have your E8500 back, inside joke), has the SATA ports hanging parallel to the board off the edge of it. Since I have such a tight fit between the MB and the front inside of the TB, I thought I would check to see if there was enough room to plug in the SATA cable for the HDD. See below what I saw.

Guess not. Here’s a close up.

OK, so now what. Scrap the whole thing or innovate. I will innovate a solution. The solution I came up with was to grind off as much of the back of the SATA connector I could just before the wire started to show. That was not enough. I had to move the MB back. So, I had my buddy cut a .180” spacer to fit between the back of the TB and the front of the MB tray moving it back the proper amount to connect my SATA cable.

Here is the spacer with clearance added and .118 added to the outer profile for additional support.

Here it is on the MB tray.

From the top.

From the back installed.

Now, you can see that I have enough room to connect the SATA connector but it has to be plugged in before the MB is mounted because there is not enough room to plug it in when it is installed. I bought the wrong SATA cable, right 90 degree cable. I wanted the cable to go underneath the MB tray instead of up and over. I bought the correct one, left 90 degree, and will install it when it comes.

More to come very soon

INSPECTOR212

inspector212
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/10/21 19:51:05 (permalink)
    It’s very soon now.

I bought a Scythe HDD adapter for a 5.25 bay to hold the HDD.  You can get it here. [link=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817984005]http://www.newegg.com/Pro...x?Item=N82E16817984005[/link].

I put it on the table saw and cut off the sides just past the part that holds the HDD. Sorry no pic. I will add one later. I measured the adapter hole pattern for the 120mm fan and the overall size. I took these numbers into AutoCad and came up with a bracket that would hold the HDD vertical in the TB. It mounts on the bottom and the back of the TB for stability. I took the pattern to my buddy and he cut it out for me. Again, out of stainless, What a guy.

Here it is in the flat pattern state.

In order to make it more presentable, I took my orbital sander to it with some 120 grit sandpaper. I did the same to my fan grills. I turned out nice.

Here it is after sanding.

I scribed bend lines 3/4” from the ends and tried to bend it with a vice grip pliers. The kind with the two inch wide head. It didn’t bend very well. So, I put it in my vice and beat the hell out of it until the bends were nice and sharp. It turned out OK. I don’t mind because the nasty bends are hidden by the HDD and the fan.

Here it is after bending.

Here is the other side.

I mounted everything into the TB and found a good place to mount it and taped it into place. I marked the holes, drilled and bolted it into place. It turned out nice.

Here it is mounted in the TB.

The other side.

I thought I would have to remove the MB  to install the HDD and fan combo but there is just enough room to get the screws in with the MB in place.

Here it is with everything installed with a temporary fan. I bought three Coolermaster R4 120mm blue LED fans for the TB. I will get a better pic later with the Coolermaster installed. I highly suggest these fans if you want LEDs but don’t want an overpowering lighting effect. The LEDs give off a subtle light and look awesome. Again, I used stainless steel hardware for mounting. The fan can be found here. [link=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103060]http://www.newegg.com/Pro...x?Item=N82E16835103060[/link]

Here is a pic of the fan.

Here it is with everything else.

More later.

INSPECTOR212

inspector212
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/10/21 19:51:40 (permalink)
    I added that stainless steel hardware for mounting everything so I thought I might as well drill out all the rivets and replace those with SS socket head cap screws and acorn nuts to be consistent. Since the acorn nuts have backs on them, I had to cut the screws to a certain length so they wouldn’t bottom out when tightened. Sidenote; Be sure to screw on a nut before you cut a screw. When you back off the nut, it straightens the thread out.

Here is a bunch of before and after pics.

Corner connections before

Corner connections after

Inside before

Inside after

Latch after

Lock after

Handle after

Handle after inside

Oh and here is the power and reset switches I used. They are simple momentary switches I picked up at Radio Shack.

INSPECTOR212

inspector212
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/10/21 19:52:21 (permalink)
    My first subscription, I feel like an author.

I got the TB together and running. I sleeved the cables but don't like the sleeve I bought. It is supposed to be white but it's clear when it's expanded and you can see the wire color. So, I got some opinions and have decided to go with MurderMod's sleeving in white. It can be found here.

http://en.mdpc-x.com/mdpc-sleeve/sleeve/sleeve-small-white.htm

pic from murderMod website

It is more expensive than what I wanted to spend but after all this, the TB better look like it was done right. I have to order it from Germany. It's not available for purchase in the States yet. I think blue lights, oops spoiler, with white quality sleeving will look wicked. I will order next week. Then, if I get time, get it sleeved and get the final pics up then. Be patient till then.

INSPECTOR212

inspector212
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/10/21 19:53:06 (permalink)

Look what I picked up. It felt like Christmas. The cartoon from Nils is just sprinkles on top of my sundae.

Here is the molex tool which works sooooo much better than the one from Sunbeam or whatever it is called. Most of the pins popped out with a little tug. Others required a harder tug. For the ones that would not come out with a harder tug, I came up with a way to get them out without worrying about ripping the wire away from the pin, which I had one do. I’ll post that pic tomorrow. So, check back soon.

Here is the contents of the package. It is a lot but I had to make sure I had enough cause I couldn’t just run to the corner store to get more. This is what 99 euros will get you.

Here is the reason I went with MurderMod. This cheap sleeve I bought looked like crap.

This is an in-process pic. A little unorganized?

This is my first sleeve attempt with quality MurderMod sleeve. I was instructed by Nils to wrap the wires in white tape to get a pure white color. I tried, sorry Nils, but it was too time consuming, bulky and the tape kept unwrapping. The color is not pure white. You can see some of the color through the sleeve but I think it will look really good with blue lights.

I will post more tomorrow and each day until it is sleeved. Be patient.

INSPECTOR212

inspector212
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/10/21 19:54:21 (permalink)
    OK, here is the tool and method I came up with for getting the stubborn wires out of the plugs, the ones that won’t come out even with the MDPC-X tool.

Bend a large paperclip in this fashion.

Insert the clip into the hole with the stubborn wire.

Another view

Insert the best tool ever made, Inspector Edition.

Another view

Take a needle nose pliers, push the clip into the plug as shown.

Out comes the wire, Taa Daa!!!

If you ever decide to do any sleeving, get a heat gun. The lighter works OK but is uneven and was leaving black marks on my white heatshrink. I got this one from Menards. $22.

The way I had everything organized in the TB, the main 24 pin cable was too long so I had to shorten it, one wire at a time.

A better view.

This is what I have so far on the PSU.

Here is the SATA cable.

INSPECTOR212

inspector212
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/10/21 19:55:22 (permalink)

Here is the final build or rebuild if you will. I finished sleeving and I think it turned out OK. It’s not million-dollar-pc quality but I am satisfied with the end result.

I took out the MB to exchange the right-ended SATA cable with the left-ended one that I sleeved. For whatever reason, I didn’t get a pic of it. I may add it later. While the MB was out, I got pics of the HDD bracket I promised earlier.

Here is the MB back in. I bought two of the fan brackets for my Thermalright 120 eXtreme. The wire clips worked fine but the brackets were only like $6 and the wires were $3, so what the hell. Here they are installed. I used two CoolerMaster R4 blue LED fans in a push pull config.

Here you can see the power and reset button wires sleeved along with one of the blue cold cathode lights. These things fit perfectly, so perfectly in fact that I didn’t need velcro to hold them in place. I added a little piece just to be safe.

I had originally purchased a GTX260 from a friend for this build and was going to add a second later but as you can see here, there is not enough room for a 10.5” GPU. Luckily the GTS250 is a perfect fit at 9.5”. It’s so tight that when sliding them in place I have to slide the DVI port down inside the PCI expansion slot to get them in. No room to spare here.

Here are some overall final assembly pic.

I’ll add some more with the power on and with the lights off later in the week.

INSPECTOR212

inspector212
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/10/21 19:56:20 (permalink)

OK, I finally got around to getting some final “lights off” pics. Here they are. I had to set it on the floor to get better pics.

Here is one with the lights on.

Lights off with the top closed

And one more, lights off, top open

INSPECTOR212

grando95
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 555
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/10/26 20:44:29 (permalink)
    Simply outstanding..perfect fit for portal rig to go..

Antec 1200 case
    Evga 780i Sli FTW
    Intel Q6600 (OC @ 3.2)
    8G G.Skill (PC2 8500) DDR2 1066 
    (1) Evga 1070 FTW
    Corsair -1000HX PS

Heatware

Martin S
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 525
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/10/27 20:06:37 (permalink)
    I said this once and I'll say it again: really really good job. Every detail was cared for, no imperfection was left standing. I've subscribed in case of future updates!
    Melampus
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 140
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/10/28 11:12:59 (permalink)
    Perfect job. You have plan, and You realized it. Full respect.
    The power supply looks sweet with this white sleeving

HmoobVwj
    • Total Posts : 16
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/11/05 18:44:49 (permalink)
    That is an awesome build. Makes me want to try building something crazy like that.

Specs
    - Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.4Ghz Vcore 1.2
    - EVGA E758 X58 SLI
    - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) ( 8-8-8-24)
    - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
    - Antec 900
    - EVGA GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked Edition 896MB
    - Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler With Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 Thermal Compound
    - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Mystikalrush
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2852
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/11/05 19:14:53 (permalink)
    Amazing Inspector212 simply amazing, very very cool build one thing though maybe im blind, but does this rig have any type of disk drive?

| Intel i9 12900K @5.2GHz | NZXT Kraken X73 | Corsair 4000D | Gigabyte AORUS PRO Z690 | EVGA SuperNova 1000 G6 |  
    | RTX 3090FE @2.1GHz | 980 PRO 2TB | 980 PRO 1 TB x 2 | G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB 6000MHz | LG 34" UW 1440p 144Hz |      

xtestifyx
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 115
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/11/05 19:36:00 (permalink)
    Incredible amounts of effort, much props! I can also see that you're quite mechanically inclined, that's a gift
    Putittogether
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 391
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/11/06 13:57:24 (permalink)
    Wow what a great build, Fun, very well done.  Cables look great.
    Foellarbear
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 526
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/11/06 14:32:08 (permalink)
    looks great.

Cooler Master HAF 932 Build:
    -Intel Core i7 920@ 3.8 GHz (C0/C1)
    -Cooler Master V8
    -MSI x58 Pro
    -EVGA & PNY GTX 295's in QUAD SLI
    -6 GB DDR3 Triple Channel OC'ed (1440 MHz)
    -PC Power & Cooling 910 Silencer 
    -Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I have Polar Bear Pride! Do you?

I fold everday to help save people's lives.

re4l warrior
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/11/06 15:55:56 (permalink)
    I'm lovin it!

My Affiliate Code: X0JYBEVP36 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fu7HdsqKpE
    EVGA X58 Classified E760 
    i7 930 (EK HF Sumpreme acetal) 4.68ghz so far
    Two EVGA GTX 570's in SLI
    6GB DDR3 1600mhz G.Skill pi series
    Mountain Mods U2-UFO (Mirror black)
    500Gb + 250gb, swiftech mcp 655, Feser 360 radiator
    Dual PSU's (750w + 600W)  Windows 7 64 bit
    gomnadz
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 269
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/11/06 16:00:45 (permalink)
    WOW, this tool box is awesome! Nice work

heatware link

i7 720 OC~3.6GHz/4.2GHz, EVGA Classified, G.Skill 3x2GB at 1600Mhz(7-7-7-18), ATI 5870 in CrossFire, 3x30GB OCZ Vertex's (RAID 0~90GB) and 3x300GB VelociRaptor's (RAID 0~900GB), Corsair HX 1000W, Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24, Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series, Windows 7, Samsung 2233RZ

E8600 OC ~4.4GHz, Rampage Formula, G.Skill 2x2GB at 1100Mhz (5-5-5-18), EVGA GTX 285 on water, 4x 150GB Raptor's in Raid 0 (600GB), Swiftech GTZ & 3x120 Thermochill rad, Corsair HX 850W, Thermaltake Armor Plus case, ZALMAN MFC2 Muti Fan Controller, HT Omega Claro plus+, Vista 64-bit, Gateway HDMI 22" 
    inspector212
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/11/06 19:31:47 (permalink)
    Mystikalrush

Amazing Inspector212 simply amazing, very very cool build one thing though maybe im blind, but does this rig have any type of disk drive?

Good catch. I ended up not having enough room for a regular one so I bought a USB DVD burner.

INSPECTOR212

Sleepee
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4456
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/11/06 20:56:49 (permalink)
    Absolutely digging that cable sleeving. Excellent work!

i7-4770K @ 4.0 / Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H / 8GB DDR3-1600 G.SKILL Ripjaws X
    EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC / Silverstone Strider Plus 1000W
    Corsair H110 / CM Storm Stryker
    CM Storm Trigger / CM Sentinel Advanced
    ---
    AMD Sempron 145 / ECS A990FXM-A / 8GB DDR3-1600 G.SKILL Ripjaws X
    (3) ASUS R9-280X DirectCUII / EVGA SuperNOVA 1000P2
    Red Milk Crate
    ---
    Epiphone Sheraton R62 / Vox AC15C1
    MXR Carbon Copy / ZVEX Vextron
    ayala421
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/11/17 21:01:18 (permalink)
    yeah, good job...youre a freak!
    y3vgeniy
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 375
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/11/23 21:48:21 (permalink)
    WOW man, rig looks fantastic I LOVE IT
    inspector212
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/11/24 09:53:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comments. I am suprised this is still on the 1st page. No updates yet but am waiting for money to get Windows 7.

INSPECTOR212

coil222
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/12/02 10:35:59 (permalink)
    Very cool project, great job.

Intel Core 2 duo extreme QX9770 (OC'd @ 4.0ghz) / Freezone Elite TEC (23C idle 44c load)
    Coolermaster Stacker 832 / Tagan BZ900
    EVGA 790i ultra / 2 x 4GB Corsair XMS3 
    1x EVGA GTX 480 SSC  4x 16GB Mtron Pro 7500 SSD HDD's Raid 0 / 1x Velociraptor 300Gb
    Windows 7
    braves1991
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/12/02 15:57:09 (permalink)
    Im amazed....great job!
    Sum1uNo83
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2295
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re:The Tool Box LAN Party Rig 2009/12/02 18:12:26 (permalink)
    jaw drops! never would have thought of that. simply amazing

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile