EVGA

Single Fan RTX 2060 bad mounting pressure possibly causing high temps

Author
eBombzor
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2019/08/20 18:16:51 (permalink)
Previous thread, somewhat unrelated but details the temps that I was seeing: https://forums.evga.com/2...-m2979940.aspx#2979940
TL;DR: 83 C in an open case (side panel off). Might go higher if it weren't throttling at that point.

Stock: (notice the lack of paste in the upper part of the die)

Reapplied with line method (GC Extreme): (after screwing as tight as possible without damaging the PCB)

Unfortunately same result.

I have copper shims but unfortunately they don't fit the rectangular size of this particular RTX die and part of it hangs over the metal parts around the die, way too risky.

I thought it might have been the thermal pads right above the die but I got the same result even when all thermal pads on the VRM plate were removed. Sigh.

I also inconveniently ran out of paste after taking that last picture so I can't test if putting more paste around the upper part of the die would fix it, though I presume it would help. I don't think it would solve the high temps completely though because of how uneven the mounting pressure is.

I just wanted to share this information because I've had unreasonably high temps with this card and telling other owners that it might be worth reapplying TIM on this card. Also, EVGA please don't ignore QC on budget cards.
post edited by eBombzor - 2019/08/21 00:19:16

5 Replies Related Threads

eBombzor
    Re: Single Fan RTX 2060 bad mounting pressure possibly causing high temps 2019/08/20 18:23:24 (permalink)
    If applying more paste doesn't fix it I'll probably return this card b/c the fan noise is too much for me.

The other gripes I have with this card are that you cannot remove the plastic shroud (so I could use aftermarket 120mm fans with the same heatsink) nor the metal plate that attaches the shroud to the heatsink.

Really disappointed. I thought a 2 1/2 slot heatsink could at least keep this card under 80 C at 100% fan speed.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30978
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Single Fan RTX 2060 bad mounting pressure possibly causing high temps 2019/08/20 18:37:08 (permalink)
    The whole GPU die Needs to be covered ---> replacing TIM should Help 

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

eBombzor
    Re: Single Fan RTX 2060 bad mounting pressure possibly causing high temps 2019/08/20 19:43:30 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    The whole GPU die Needs to be covered ---> replacing TIM should Help 

Just got some Thermaltake TG-7 so Imma bout to test it. Unfortunately they didn't have any good pastes but hopefully it's good enough.
    eBombzor
    Re: Single Fan RTX 2060 bad mounting pressure possibly causing high temps 2019/08/20 21:57:38 (permalink)
    Actually quite like this paste. Very easy to spread unlike GC Extreme.

I used a T method on the die (vertical line + horizontal line along the upper part of the die) and wow my temps are okay now. I got max of 78 C doing a super intensive test using Talos Principle with SGSSA x4 and MSAA x8 to stress the GPU. I can finally relax my fan curves and achieve livable noise levels. Dishonored 2 is now averaging 74 C so pretty great stuff. Not amazing but something more in line of what I was expecting when I bought a 3 slot card.

Side note: It really bothers me that the thermal performance is still worse than my stock 780 Ti. From just looking at the card it looks very well designed for thermals. The shroud is minimal with lots of holes and doesn't cover the sides of the heatsink, allowing more airflow. The heatsink is 2 1/2 slots thick and the base has three copper heatpipes. The heatsink is at least 2x larger than the one on the stock 780 Ti. Maybe the thermals are bottlenecked by the fan? I really wish EVGA didn't glue/solder/whatever the metal plate connecting the shroud and the heatsink so I could attach my own 120mm fan (or two) to this card.
    post edited by eBombzor - 2019/08/20 23:18:22
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Single Fan RTX 2060 bad mounting pressure possibly causing high temps 2019/08/21 02:03:26 (permalink)
    Glad to hear you thermals improved. 

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile