EVGA

SC15 Screen switches to 60hz until restarted

Author
fuge37
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/09/20 14:13:35 (permalink)
Hello all, I recently bought a SC15 laptop directly from EVGA. It works well but I'm quite disapointed with the screen, there's a huge ammount of ghosting and motion blur which ruins a bit the 120hz.
Anyways, the actual problem is that sometimes the refresh rate switches to 60hz somewhy, without touching anything, usually when I play CS I think.

If I go to Nvidia control panel it says the screen is running at 120hz, however it's clearly not, and if I go to a website such as testufo.com when this happens it tells me my screen is running at 60hz indeed. I thought switching the screen to 60hz in the options and then back to 120hz would fix it, however it did not, when I switch to 60hz the screen goes blank and does not display anything at all. I need to press ESC to go back to "120hz" where the image comes back but at still 60hz...

It's really annoying, and the only way I've found to fix it is to restart the laptop until it happens again. *Really* not ideal behaviour for a new brand new laptop, combined with the insane motion blur... kinda makes me realise why it was discounted everywhere in the first place (though I bought a 1070 SC17 before and used it for a while and it was fantastic, not a single problem, that's why I got this one but man...).

Anyways enough ramble, I wanted to know if anyone else has the same problem? Any solution?? Should I RMA mine (the thermals aren't so good either... 90ºC CPU and GPU while playing quake, CPU at 2.4ghz, WHILE undervolted)? Or maybe even return it and get something else...

Thanks for reading.
post edited by fuge37 - 2018/09/20 17:44:41

1 Reply Related Threads

fuge37
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: SC15 Screen switches to 60hz until restarted 2018/11/17 21:35:39 (permalink)
    Issue is still happening, with some stuff triggering it seemingly more often than other, just tried playing starcraft and it was impossible because it switched back to 60hz just after opening it... and then again, not possible to switch to 120hz since as before the screen settings stated the screen was working at 120hz (not true) and if I tried to switch to 60hz the screen would just go black.

Any feedback at all? nothing? I'm really gonna try to RMA it cause it's getting annoying but I don't know if this is something that's wrong specifically on my unit only or will be a widespread issue on this model (doesn't seem like it after googling it and finding nobody having this issue, but man... it's something so strange that I don't know what could be causing it on my unit).

What should I do???
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile