Replacement M.2 thermal pads

Author
ZoranC
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1099
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 16
2021/08/22 18:32:00 (permalink)
Recently I’ve found myself in need of replacement M.2 thermal pads for my X299 Darks and looking for dimensions so I can order them.

Unfortunately I couldn’t find dimensions documented anywhere and EVGA’s tech support didn’t know theme either (instead they’ve graciously sent me some new ones). When they arrived I have measured them and for those that are interested they are

20mm x 30mm x 3mm

Now that dimensions are sorted out it would be great if someone could, for reference, post which brand/model of thermal pads is considered best out there.

2 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Replacement M.2 thermal pads 2021/08/22 18:54:17 (permalink)
    ZoranC
    for reference, post which brand/model of thermal pads is considered best out there

Good luck!  No one really knows.  The way that W/mK is advertised means absolutely nothing because there is no standard way of measuring W/mK.  Different companies take their measurements at very different temperatures, which provides wildly different results.  This makes the final number and comparisons meaningless.  That being said, I don't think that anyone has measured every available thermal pad by the same method.
    The differences in thermal performance for thermal pads of the same thickness shouldn't be very drastic.  For instance, you can replace one that is "5 W/mK" with another that is "15 W/mK" and see almost no difference; and you wonder why, until you realize that one number isn't comparable with the other.  Don't worry about it.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/08/22 19:34:36

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1099
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Replacement M.2 thermal pads 2021/08/22 18:56:31 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    ZoranC
    for reference, post which brand/model of thermal pads is considered best out there

Good luck!  No one really knows.  The way that W/mK is advertised means absolutely nothing because there is no standard way of measuring W/mK.  Different companies take their measurements at very different temperatures, which provides wildly different results.  This makes the final number and comparisons meaningless.  That being said, I don't think that anyone has measured every available thermal pad by the same method.
    The differences in thermal performance for thermal pads of the same thickness shouldn't be very drastic.  Don't worry about it.

Thank you!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile