Recommendations for 3080 Ti FTW3 water block

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3214
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: Recommendations for 3080 Ti FTW3 water block 2021/09/26 17:21:24 (permalink)
Slider6996
Welp just wanted to let u guys know I went ahead and bought the EK waterblock and active backplate ( i know i dont rly need the backplate ) and i did also buy some gelid thermal pads, was gonna get grizzly but seen gelid just as good and seen several videos showing a 20c drop in memory temps over stock pads so snagged those too, ty all for advice and such too, got a few videos tabbed open so can watch before hand on doing all this as first time converting a card and dont wanna fark it up. 

Once you block the Card the first time you will see just how easy it is.
Was trickier getting the stock cooler back on the Card with the 3 little fan headers and one very pesky screw / nut combo thats in a tough spot ;)
A tip for you....put all the little screws (n nuts) back in the original backplate mounted on the stock cooler....even the original thermal pads can be placed in the same location on the stock cooler....then wrap it all up in saran wrap and store it back in the original box.
When the day comes to finally sell the card (or RMA), you will be happy you did this ;)

Good luck....post pics when your done!

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

TahoeDust
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 330
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Recommendations for 3080 Ti FTW3 water block 2021/09/26 17:25:56 (permalink)
rjbarker
A tip for you....put all the little screws (n nuts) back in the original backplate mounted on the stock cooler....even the original thermal pads can be placed in the same location on the stock cooler....then wrap it all up in saran wrap and store it back in the original box.
When the day comes to finally sell the card (or RMA), you will be happy you did this ;)

Haha.  This is exactly what I did.  We're confirmed geniuses. 
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3214
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: Recommendations for 3080 Ti FTW3 water block 2021/09/26 21:02:22 (permalink)
Be patient..dont rush...get a decent Exacto knife to cut the thermal pads.
Remember  you will have 4 headers to disconnect prior to pulling the PCB away from the Stock Cooler (be gentle).

You can take the I/O mounting bracket completely off (3 little screws where DP/HDMI ports are), just dont forget to re-install it prior to installing the water block.
I lay the block down so the shiny side is up.....install the pads n grease on the PCB....then slowly lower the pcb down onto the block (lining up the holes perfectly, you dont want to wiggle it around to much after seating it, to line up the screw holes)).
4 GPU die screws first, then the rest (dont forget the little plastic washers), leave the ones off for the backplate, think there was 6 screws for the backplate.....cant remember for sure now.

Cutting the pads for the backplate was a bit tedious, this is the first backplate I have seen that had so many pads...and 3 different sizes (mostly 2mm though).

Between my 3080 and 3080 TI I have blocked both cards and unblocked re-installed stock cooler on 3080....once you get a few under your belt you will see its not rocket science...straight forward.
the first few I did back in the GTX 680 / 780Ti days I watched youtube videos and followed along.

Have fun with it....you likely shvt your pants the first time you boot up and no signal to the monitor though ;) , it happens, usually something simple (like ensuring all 3 PCI-E power plugs are properly seated (at both end ..GPU and PSU)!!

Cheers

post edited by rjbarker - 2021/09/26 21:04:14

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

Slider6996
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 669
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Recommendations for 3080 Ti FTW3 water block 2021/09/27 12:17:12 (permalink)
rjbarker
Slider6996
Welp just wanted to let u guys know I went ahead and bought the EK waterblock and active backplate ( i know i dont rly need the backplate ) and i did also buy some gelid thermal pads, was gonna get grizzly but seen gelid just as good and seen several videos showing a 20c drop in memory temps over stock pads so snagged those too, ty all for advice and such too, got a few videos tabbed open so can watch before hand on doing all this as first time converting a card and dont wanna fark it up. 

Once you block the Card the first time you will see just how easy it is.
Was trickier getting the stock cooler back on the Card with the 3 little fan headers and one very pesky screw / nut combo thats in a tough spot ;)

Ya im actually quite anal about keeping stuff just like that actually already, i keep all my old boxes of gpus and pc parts and honestly anything electronic so ya will def do that, i didnt think about the saran wrap though as will do that also so good call. And ya im confident wont be issue and wont be rushing, already printed off the instructions for back plate and water block and i have a uh ( Forget name ) surgical blade cutter thing already and bought myself lot of tools for previous stuff i worked on so should be good. Hopefully blocks show up soon as one says oct 8th so we shall see. Im legit expecting me to do all this and soon as i put it in pc ima get the email about saying my Que for the hydro copper version is rdy for purchase lmao..

rjbarker
Be patient..dont rush...get a decent Exacto knife to cut the thermal pads.
Remember  you will have 4 headers to disconnect prior to pulling the PCB away from the Stock Cooler (be gentle).

You can take the I/O mounting bracket completely off (3 little screws where DP/HDMI ports are), just dont forget to re-install it prior to installing the water block.
I lay the block down so the shiny side is up.....install the pads n grease on the PCB....then slowly lower the pcb down onto the block (lining up the holes perfectly, you dont want to wiggle it around to much after seating it, to line up the screw holes)).
4 GPU die screws first, then the rest (dont forget the little plastic washers), leave the ones off for the backplate, think there was 6 screws for the backplate.....cant remember for sure now.

Cutting the pads for the backplate was a bit tedious, this is the first backplate I have seen that had so many pads...and 3 different sizes (mostly 2mm though).

Between my 3080 and 3080 TI I have blocked both cards and unblocked re-installed stock cooler on 3080....once you get a few under your belt you will see its not rocket science...straight forward.
the first few I did back in the GTX 680 / 780Ti days I watched youtube videos and followed along.

Have fun with it....you likely shvt your pants the first time you boot up and no signal to the monitor though ;) , it happens, usually something simple (like ensuring all 3 PCI-E power plugs are properly seated (at both end ..GPU and PSU)!!

Cheers

Ya i watched like idk 4 videos already watching people install the EK block on non Ti cards just so i kinda visually see what they do and order and all also, its what i did on my first pc build and only thing i forgot was to plug up gpu..lol ( done that twice ) but ya ill def show some pics of it and will probably use this as excuse to redo tubes in pc as been wanting to rearrange some stuff so ya, def appreciate all the info and will use it :) 

post edited by Slider6996 - 2021/09/27 12:18:42

Dell s2716dg Gsync 144hz Main gaming monitor
Asus 60 Mhz 2nd Monitor
Intel i7-7820X OC 4.7 Ghz
Custom Water loop 
Evga 1080ti hydro copper 
GSkill Trident RBG 16gb Ram
X299 MSI x299 M7 ACK Motherboard
Sound Blaster Z Soundcard 
Steel Series Artic 7 Headset
Razer Chroma Keyboard
Evga 750 Watt PSU