EVGA

Helpful ReplyRTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads

Author
Flogger23m
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 118
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/08/05 11:16:07 (permalink)
Been using an EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra for around 10 or so months. Very quiet card overall. However, I recently decided to upgrade my motherboard BIOS as I purchased a Ryzen 3700X CPU which required new BIOS and VGA drivers. Previously my GPU didn't spin the fans up during boot up, or if it did it wasn't at 100%. With my new CPU the fans spin up to 100% for around 6 seconds each time I restart, right before Windows loads. I know this may not be something on the GPU end but I figured I'd ask here in the event there was something I could do revert the GPU to how it used to behave because the fans are atrociously loud during start up.

Important Specs:
RTX 2070 XC Ultra - installed newest drivers as of yesterday. OCed card slightly with EVGA Precision X1 since day one.
ASRock X370 Killer SLI/AC motherboard - went from BIOS 4.70 to 5.40
AMD Ryzen 3700X - (previously used Ryzen 1600 and 2700X with this RTX 2070)
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000

What I did:
Followed upgrade procedure as specified on ASRock's site for my motherboard:
- Reverted BIOS to default settings
- My motherboard required a software package "[<font]AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL"   <---- I am not sure if this may be related?
- Upgraded to BIOS 5.10
- Upgraded to BIOS 5.40

- Booted into Win 10 all worked well. GPU acted normally.
- Swapped CPU.
- Noticed loud GPU Fans at start up.
- Loaded XMP Profile for my RAM, disabled AMD Cool N Quiet, changed one or two other settings to how they were prior to upgrading BIOS.
- Upgraded Nivida GPU drivers.

Not too sure why a different CPU would make the GPU fans ramp up to 100% during start up? Any advice appreciated, and if this is something that can be changed via EVGA Precision X1, some GPU firmware or a motherboard setting I'd appreciate it.

Link to my motherboard with specs, manual, BIOS ect:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Killer%20SLIac/index.asp#BIOS

Note: I know it is the GPU fans going to 100% as if set the CPU fan to 100% it cannot reach noise levels close to what occurs during start up and I can feel the air being thrown out of the GPU heat sink at an extremely high speed during start up until it ramps back down.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2019/08/05 11:17:29 (permalink)
Do they go back to Normal after the OS shows the Desktop?
If so then this is Normal on a Power Up.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Flogger23m
Superclocked Member
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2019/08/05 11:31:51 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Do they go back to Normal after the OS shows the Desktop?
If so then this is Normal on a Power Up.

Yes, they go back off when Windows loads. Just find it interesting that a certain CPU/GPU combination would trigger it. Not the biggest issue in the world but I would like to revert it to how it was. This is loud enough to wake someone if I have to restart the PC at night.
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2019/08/05 11:53:17 (permalink)
The Fans should have done this under your Older CPU as well.
But Changing your CPU as you have you might want to also Install a Fresh OS.
You also need to update or re-install the Chipset Drivers.
AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:19.10.16_19H1_WHQL (2019/8/1)
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/08/05 11:57:08

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Flogger23m
Superclocked Member
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2019/08/05 13:58:26 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
The Fans should have done this under your Older CPU as well.
But Changing your CPU as you have you might want to also Install a Fresh OS.
You also need to update or re-install the Chipset Drivers.
AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:19.10.16_19H1_WHQL (2019/8/1)

Installed that version, thought the specified one was the latest. Didn't change it though. May consider uninstalling / reinstalling chipset drivers or uninstalling the AMD VGA drivers.

Before I do that though, is there anything I can try in the EVGA X1 Precision application first? Was thinking it might be able to over ride the fans spinning up at startup via some function.  Maybe GPU firmware?

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2019/08/05 14:01:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Flogger23m 2019/08/05 15:58:59
Flogger23m
Been using an EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra for around 10 or so months. Very quiet card overall. However, I recently decided to upgrade my motherboard BIOS as I purchased a Ryzen 3700X CPU which required new BIOS and VGA drivers. Previously my GPU didn't spin the fans up during boot up, or if it did it wasn't at 100%. With my new CPU the fans spin up to 100% for around 6 seconds each time I restart, right before Windows loads. I know this may not be something on the GPU end but I figured I'd ask here in the event there was something I could do revert the GPU to how it used to behave because the fans are atrociously loud during start up.

Important Specs:
RTX 2070 XC Ultra - installed newest drivers as of yesterday. OCed card slightly with EVGA Precision X1 since day one.

What I did:
- My motherboard required a software package "[<font]AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL"   <---- I am not sure if this may be related?
- Upgraded to BIOS 5.10
- Upgraded to BIOS 5.40

- Swapped CPU.
- Loaded XMP Profile for my RAM, disabled AMD Cool N Quiet, changed one or two other settings to how they were prior to upgrading BIOS.

Not too sure why a different CPU would make the GPU fans ramp up to 100% during start up? Any advice appreciated, and if this is something that can be changed via EVGA Precision X1, some GPU firmware or a motherboard setting I'd appreciate it.

Note: I know it is the GPU fans going to 100% as if set the CPU fan to 100% it cannot reach noise levels close to what occurs during start up and I can feel the air being thrown out of the GPU heat sink at an extremely high speed during start up until it ramps back down.

It would seem clear, that the BIOS update along with a CPU change, did something in how the GPU is initialized during system boot. As system drivers and the GPU drivers are not loaded yet, we can eliminate those as the cause. Given that is the case, I'd report this issue to your motherboard maker. Also if your board has a software utility suite for overclocking and fan control on the desktop, I would uninstall that.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Flogger23m
Superclocked Member
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2019/08/05 16:00:51 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Flogger23m

Important Specs:

What I did:
- Upgraded to BIOS 5.10
- Upgraded to BIOS 5.40

- Swapped CPU.

It would seem clear, that the BIOS update along with a CPU change, did something in how the GPU is initialized during system boot. As system drivers and the GPU drivers are not loaded yet, we can eliminate those as the cause. Given that is the case, I'd report this issue to your motherboard maker. Also if your board has a software utility suite for overclocking and fan control on the desktop, I would uninstall that.

Thanks, I was fearing this was the case. If anyone has any other suggestions I appreciate them. I'll look through EVGA Precision as I haven't look through that much yet.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2019/08/05 16:19:54 (permalink)
The ramping up won't be OS/Software related since it's before it gets to that start up layer.  It's either your CPU/MB combo as stated by Heavy and or possibly your GPU firmware in relation to the newer hardware.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2019/08/05 16:22:00 (permalink)
Flogger23m
HeavyHemi
Flogger23m

Important Specs:

What I did:
- Upgraded to BIOS 5.10
- Upgraded to BIOS 5.40

- Swapped CPU.

Thanks, I was fearing this was the case. If anyone has any other suggestions I appreciate them. I'll look through EVGA Precision as I haven't look through that much yet.

Well again, since this is happening at boot, nothing you do after it boots is going to help. I had this issue a while back when a BIOS update, caused the same issue, the GPU fans would ramp up to 100% until the BIOS recognized it, then they would drop to idle.  Have you completely cleared the BIOS by removing the battery, push the CMOS clear button, then letting it set for 15 minutes. Reinstall the battery and reboot. It is not impossible that old settings in the BIOS were not cleared  when you flashed or old hardware detection bits are still left in the BIOS.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Flogger23m
Superclocked Member
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2019/08/05 16:52:02 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Flogger23m
HeavyHemi
Flogger23m

Important Specs:

What I did:
- Upgraded to BIOS 5.10
- Upgraded to BIOS 5.40

- Swapped CPU.

Well again, since this is happening at boot, nothing you do after it boots is going to help. I had this issue a while back when a BIOS update, caused the same issue, the GPU fans would ramp up to 100% until the BIOS recognized it, then they would drop to idle.  Have you completely cleared the BIOS by removing the battery, push the CMOS clear button, then letting it set for 15 minutes. Reinstall the battery and reboot. It is not impossible that old settings in the BIOS were not cleared  when you flashed or old hardware detection bits are still left in the BIOS.

Clearing the CMOS should keep my BIOS version the same right? May give that a try. Don't mind resetting motherboard settings if those are loaded to the defaults.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2019/08/05 17:31:02 (permalink)
Flogger23m
HeavyHemi
Flogger23m
HeavyHemi
Flogger23m

Important Specs:

What I did:
- Upgraded to BIOS 5.10
- Upgraded to BIOS 5.40

- Swapped CPU.

Clearing the CMOS should keep my BIOS version the same right? May give that a try. Don't mind resetting motherboard settings if those are loaded to the defaults.

Correct it will not change your BIOS version. It will load the BIOS defaults pretty much the same as just hitting the CMOS button alone. But over the years I've seen too many times where either a BIOS flash didn't see old hardware correctly or new hardware isn't detected properly.

Flogger23m
Superclocked Member
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2019/08/05 23:00:15 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Flogger23m
HeavyHemi
Flogger23m
HeavyHemi
Flogger23m

Important Specs:

What I did:
- Upgraded to BIOS 5.10
- Upgraded to BIOS 5.40

- Swapped CPU.

Correct it will not change your BIOS version. It will load the BIOS defaults pretty much the same as just hitting the CMOS button alone. But over the years I've seen too many times where either a BIOS flash didn't see old hardware correctly or new hardware isn't detected properly.

Will try this tomorrow; will a doing the jumper short (block pin 2/3) do the same thing?

Tried a GPU swap today with a EVGA GTX 1070 SC, and the fans did not spin up to 100% at start up. Tried it a few restarts and after running a game for a few moments, no massive fan ramping up during startups. Didn't put the RTX 2070 in another PC but will look into that tomorrow as well.

Adding a bit onto the EVGA Precision X1 software, some changes made in the software do seem to persist before Windows loads. I changed the color on the RGB lighting from Blue to Red. The GPU can apparently detect changes in color before Windows starts loading so possibly there is something else that can be done via the Precision software that will take affect before Windows loads. Doubt I can find a "solution" here but I'll look into it more.

Hotrodkawi
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2019/09/25 08:39:28 (permalink)
  I am having this same issue. I have two cards doing it. a RTX 2070 Black edition and a brand new RTX 2070 Super XC  Both card exhibit the behavior when booting on a Ryzen 3600. The 2070 Black did not do this when booting to a 2700X or earlier chip. I have on two occasions contacted EVGA and they state this this is normal and they have not heard of anyone else having this issue. Last night I bought this brand new card thinking (hoping) it was anomalous to this particular card. NOPE... They both do it. EVGAs answer that this is not an issue is not ok? This could cause premature wear on the fans but it could also cause a failure. This may be some attempt of the card to limit the voltage the bios is feeding it during boot. I had one card a 2070 Black already fail during a boot. The fans spun up and never stopped. That system never booted again with that card and EVGA replaced it under warranty. I cannot say for sure this this was the cause but it seems possible. I am going to write. EVGA's management on this and see what they have to say... This is not good EVGA.. I am likely going to return the new card.
bengosnell
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2019/12/09 22:17:17 (permalink)
I have the exact same issue with a EVGA 2070. I had the 2070 with and Ryzen 2700x and this never happened, upgraded to the 3700x when it came out and here we are. What's worse, the GPU even does it when the PC wakes from sleep. But.. the PC doesn't really sleep. When it goes to sleep it IMMEDIATELY wakes back up and spins the gpu fans to 100%.  Also a new problem since installing the 3700x. It doesn't seem to mesh with the newer Ryzen cpu's. Got the chip in June when it first came out but I've barely used the PC since cause it's so annoying. Went back to my console gaming cause that stuff just works.. For whatever reason i decided to turn it on tonight and the fan pissed me off again so i got to digging and found this forum :)  Looks like we are just stuck with it being this way.. I may have two separate problems but i'm definitely suffering from the 100% fan spin up problem.
Ichi_TK
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2019/12/18 15:19:25 (permalink)
Sorry for the necro.
I have the same issue.
The 3 fans of my 2070 FTW3 Ultra ramp up to 100% during boot and then they go back to idle. I always thought this was a bit strange but since it's not a big of a deal I never worried about it to much.

Case: Corsair 570X Crystal Red
MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (wi-fi)
CPU: Intel i7 9700k (stock)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 16GB (XMP I enabled)
GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 FTW3 Ultra (OC)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe 1TB (sys disk) and Samsung 860 Evo Plus SSD 500GB
Cooling: Case - 3 Corsair SP120 front intake; 2 Corsair ML120 Pro up intake and 1 Corsair ML120 Pro rear exhaust. Cpu - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
jatontg
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2019/12/31 14:30:52 (permalink)
I also have the same issue when upgrading to Ryzen 3600, also my LED Sync does not work now when it did previously. BIOS has also been upgraded to the latest version + massive coil whine.

EDIT: Using a 2070 Super Black
Cannot post youtube links with the video evidence of the below, restrictions applied for spam by the looks of it
 - Fan startup/no led sync
 - Coil whine/no led sync

post edited by jatontg - 2019/12/31 15:28:19
safe69
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2020/01/21 13:27:12 (permalink)
No led on black edition
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan spins really loud at start up before Windows loads 2020/01/21 13:50:40 (permalink)
safe69
No led on black edition

Which exact model are you referring to because some GPUs don't come with LEDs.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile