EVGA

RTX 2070 Crashing and Boot Issues

Author
adamswagem
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/06/13 12:27:55 (permalink)
I am once again having issues with my EVGA RTX 2070 and not sure if its really **** luck and I have another bad card or some new mysterious software / driver issue that I can fix

I will get crashes to desktop in games randomly, sometimes I will simply completely freeze up at the desktop while doing nothing in particular, or my monitors will flicker black and then back. I used DDU in safe mode multiple times and reinstalling drivers did nothing, both on the latest drivers as well as 425.31 and neither was stable enough to be even remotely acceptable. I also notice that sometimes my PC fails to boot up(turns on but screens are black) or it will boot up and I notice my keyboard RGBs are off and it isnt responding to being pressed, that is always a sign that my PC will crash soon after when I re-plug the keyboard. Note that this never happens with my 970 in.

One of my monitors is 144Hz and the other is 60Hz(Display Port cable for the first monitor and HDMI for the second) Both of them are BenQ 
Having my older GTX 970 in and there are no issues. My mobo is MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC.
I recently switched out my PSU and the cables to a Corsair HX750i thinking that would fix it but it made no difference.

And lastly, this is my 3rd 2070(2 RMAs so far) and just yesterday I got pink squares all over my screen while in safe mode. One thing I have not tried is underclocking the GPU (not really acceptable for me to pay full price and keep an underclocked GPU, but I guess doing so would narrow down what is causing the issue?) and putting it in my friends PC(going to be doing that tomorrow).  I know its still possible that its a faulty card but since its my third in a row, just looking for more opinions before I waste money replacing other parts that arent actually faulty.

11 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: RTX 2070 Crashing and Boot Issues 2019/06/13 19:08:30 (permalink)
    What are the idle and load temps if possible?

Make sure you set everything to stock settings if there are any OCs (CPU/RAM) and I would also try underclocking the GPU and see if that fixes it.

Also, check and see if all you drivers are up to date, including your MB's and see if there are similar issues on their forums. 

Are you using a battery backup/UPS with the PC?  If so, try disconnecting it during the testing phase.

If the GPU works on your friends rig, I would than get a hold of EVGA again for an RMA unfortunately.

post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2019/06/13 19:37:30

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Stephenk291
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1023
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: RTX 2070 Crashing and Boot Issues 2019/06/13 19:29:18 (permalink)
    Sounds like my 2070 experience I have all the same issues but its gotten considerably worse (can't even boot with the GPU in), getting ready to RMA my RMA again.. this replacement card is so bad I can't even have it in the PCI slot or my PC hangs and freezes at the bios splash screen. The moment I remove the GPU the system boots perfectly fine.  I even completely wiped my OS install and went to 1903 prior to these issues occurring. my 2070 is basically a $500 doorstop. 

black screen after bios
    PC hangs or crashes lots of errors in event viewer or BSOD happens
    artifacting in games, although prior to the other system lock up issues, it would sometimes work for several hours before it would crash or freeze..very strange.  I should have just kept my 980 Ti till It died, these RTX cards are junk. 
    post edited by Stephenk291 - 2019/06/13 19:32:09

|i7 8700k @4.9Ghz| 64GB 3200mhz DDR4 Corsair RGB Pro |Asus Strix Gaming z390 |EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3  | Corsair 500D | H105 Cooler | SuperNova 850G3

Associates Code E96KV2QZWOXVRZM
    adamswagem
    Re: RTX 2070 Crashing and Boot Issues 2019/06/13 20:48:44 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    What are the idle and load temps if possible?

Make sure you set everything to stock settings if there are any OCs (CPU/RAM) and I would also try underclocking the GPU and see if that fixes it.

Also, check and see if all you drivers are up to date, including your MB's and see if there are similar issues on their forums. 

Are you using a battery backup/UPS with the PC?  If so, try disconnecting it during the testing phase.

If the GPU works on your friends rig, I would than get a hold of EVGA again for an RMA unfortunately.

1)never goes past 55 C

2) I reset my settings in bios so unless there is some other way to OC those two then they are on default clock speeds. I will try underclocknig it but i wouldnt consider that a fix because it will lower my FPS right?

3) They are for nvidia, and you mean like flashing my BIOs? I did that thanks

4)Nope

5)If it does work on my friends PC RMA the card? Or did you mean if it doesn't work on his PC?

adamswagem
    Re: RTX 2070 Crashing and Boot Issues 2019/06/13 20:53:20 (permalink)
    Stephenk291
    Sounds like my 2070 experience I have all the same issues but its gotten considerably worse (can't even boot with the GPU in), getting ready to RMA my RMA again.. this replacement card is so bad I can't even have it in the PCI slot or my PC hangs and freezes at the bios splash screen. The moment I remove the GPU the system boots perfectly fine.  I even completely wiped my OS install and went to 1903 prior to these issues occurring. my 2070 is basically a $500 doorstop. 

black screen after bios
    artifacting in games, although prior to the other system lock up issues, it would sometimes work for several hours before it would crash or freeze..very strange.  I should have just kept my 980 Ti till It died, these RTX cards are junk. 

Yeah I have basically the exact same symptoms as you. Sometimes as well when starting the computer my keyboard will simply not power on.
    chrebean1
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 749
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: RTX 2070 Crashing and Boot Issues 2019/06/13 21:02:56 (permalink)
    Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling both nVidia graphics AND audio drivers? Sounds like an issue I had about 15 years ago (in the good ol' Creative sound card days) when graphics and sound cards were vying for memory address space. I had to remove both graphics and other peripheral cards, and then install each card individually and reboot before installing other cards.

Make sure you also have any old drivers removed by looking at the Programs and features tab in Windows Control Panel. Just a suggestion ... hope it works.

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.
    adamswagem
    Re: RTX 2070 Crashing and Boot Issues 2019/06/13 21:13:40 (permalink)
    Yeah I used DDU several times for the uninstalls and I did the audio drivers through the control panel as you said

The only drivers I have now per the control panel are as follows

NVIDIA USBC Driver 1.1.27.831
    NVIDIA PhysX System Software 9.19.0218
    NVIDIA Graphics Driver 430.86(got issues on 425 as well)

chrebean1
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 749
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: RTX 2070 Crashing and Boot Issues 2019/06/13 21:31:26 (permalink)
    Next suggestion: Access your motherboard BIOS and set all settings to optimized. Set your desktop memory to stock speeds (don't overclock). At the same time, uninstall any graphics card software like Pre X and let the graphics card run at its stock settings. See if that works.

Basically, you're trying to remove possible memory address conflicts causing the PC to freeze up.

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.
    adamswagem
    Re: RTX 2070 Crashing and Boot Issues 2019/06/14 06:18:00 (permalink)
    Only software I have  is MSI afterburner, Ill try the BIOs suggestions later tonight or tomorrow since I will be testing out the GPU in my friends pc later today. Thanks so far
    Stephenk291
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1023
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: RTX 2070 Crashing and Boot Issues 2019/06/14 16:20:32 (permalink)
    adamswagem
    Stephenk291

black screen after bios

Yeah I have basically the exact same symptoms as you. Sometimes as well when starting the computer my keyboard will simply not power on.

adamswagem
    Stephenk291

black screen after bios

yup same here, keyboard and mouse won't even get power, definitely way worse then the first card in terms of issues.  I even completely wiped my PC and installed 1903 on a blank new SSD and it still happened. at least EVGA's support is solid, I couldn't imagine having to RMA thru ASUS, what a painful experience even getting technical support. 

I actually ordered a 1660 Ti to hold me over and ill end up giving to my nephew so I'll use that as another test case, hopefully your RMA process goes smoothly and we both get working cards next go around. 

|i7 8700k @4.9Ghz| 64GB 3200mhz DDR4 Corsair RGB Pro |Asus Strix Gaming z390 |EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3  | Corsair 500D | H105 Cooler | SuperNova 850G3

Associates Code E96KV2QZWOXVRZM
    adamswagem
    Re: RTX 2070 Crashing and Boot Issues 2019/06/14 20:41:11 (permalink)
    i put it in my friends pc and he blue screened 3 times then on the 4th try he failed to boot.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: RTX 2070 Crashing and Boot Issues 2019/06/14 22:07:58 (permalink)
    adamswagem
    i put it in my friends pc and he blue screened 3 times then on the 4th try he failed to boot.

Time for RMA.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile