EVGA

LockedRMA denied because of "damage" to PCB

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Breakthecycle2
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/09 11:33:07 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
Like I said, I missed the hose splitting. That brings up a whole new series of questions.

What part number is the GPU? If it was a hybrid, and RMA should have been completed the moment a hose split. That makes me think it wasn’t a GPU issue. Who really goes out and buys a new cooler as soon as their GPU cooler breaks? No one.

If a CPU cooler was the culprit and It leaked on the GPU, then water damage would NOT be covered. That would be damage caused by something EVGA can not control and the RMA would need to go through the CPU cooler company, whomever that was.

I feel like there is more questions that need to be asked, so I am hoping answers come out.

It was a hybrid 1080. I did not even think to warranty it when the hose broke. I went out and got a new cooler because I needed the system back up and running, so yeah, I bit the bullet and bought it out of pocket. As far as the PCB damage, there is a small "chip" next to the PCIe ports. Don't know how it happened, who did it or if came from the factory like that. As of right now, I asked for a manger to get back to me a few days ago and I am waiting. What is frustrating me is they haven't even opened the card (to my knowledge) to see what caused the sparks and smoke. When the RMA cards, they repair other RMA's and then add them to the pool of replacements. Being my card was technically "on fire", whose to say the card would be repairable anyway without anyone even checking it out?

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/09 12:12:29 (permalink)
Breakthecycle2
the_Scarlet_one
Like I said, I missed the hose splitting. That brings up a whole new series of questions.

What part number is the GPU? If it was a hybrid, and RMA should have been completed the moment a hose split. That makes me think it wasn’t a GPU issue. Who really goes out and buys a new cooler as soon as their GPU cooler breaks? No one.

If a CPU cooler was the culprit and It leaked on the GPU, then water damage would NOT be covered. That would be damage caused by something EVGA can not control and the RMA would need to go through the CPU cooler company, whomever that was.

I feel like there is more questions that need to be asked, so I am hoping answers come out.

It was a hybrid 1080. I did not even think to warranty it when the hose broke. I went out and got a new cooler because I needed the system back up and running, so yeah, I bit the bullet and bought it out of pocket. As far as the PCB damage, there is a small "chip" next to the PCIe ports. Don't know how it happened, who did it or if came from the factory like that. As of right now, I asked for a manger to get back to me a few days ago and I am waiting. What is frustrating me is they haven't even opened the card (to my knowledge) to see what caused the sparks and smoke. When the RMA cards, they repair other RMA's and then add them to the pool of replacements. Being my card was technically "on fire", whose to say the card would be repairable anyway without anyone even checking it out?

I don't think evga repairs cards at it's main office, they might have a 3rd party refurbish them. 

Breakthecycle2
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/10 08:46:31 (permalink)
So now a apparent manager emailed me back and still denied the RMA. I'm sorry, but EVGA seems to be digging now for excuses. Coming up with one after another after another. Three times, I've said, if they don't want to RMA it, lets come with a fair compromise. I've offered a discounted new card, new or refurbished or a credit to be used to purchase a new one. Doesn't even have to be a full credit.I'll take ALMOST, anything for the sake of putting this to bed. I'm now waiting again, to hear back from the latest manager to email me back. If I'm willing to take a loss, why can't EVGA? I'm not going away. 
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/10 19:21:52 (permalink)
Breakthecycle2
So now a apparent manager emailed me back and still denied the RMA. I'm sorry, but EVGA seems to be digging now for excuses. Coming up with one after another after another. Three times, I've said, if they don't want to RMA it, lets come with a fair compromise. I've offered a discounted new card, new or refurbished or a credit to be used to purchase a new one. Doesn't even have to be a full credit.I'll take ALMOST, anything for the sake of putting this to bed. I'm now waiting again, to hear back from the latest manager to email me back. If I'm willing to take a loss, why can't EVGA? I'm not going away. 

I would make sure you go above the RMA Manager head to management. 

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/11 01:47:11 (permalink)
What the heck is goin on in this thread?!?! Just reading the whole thing makes me think theres a ton of info missing or something. The AIO's, all aio's, don't use conductive fluids so even if you left it a dripping mess and put another cooler on and plugged it back in its not going to hurt anything, even though that's not really the issue at hand. Maybe pcb damaged during AIO removal and aftermarket cooler install? EVGA has not publicly chimed in on this, other than the standard reply, so it would be interesting to see what they say....or show us?!?!

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
Breakthecycle2
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/11 12:54:32 (permalink)
wmmills
What the heck is goin on in this thread?!?! Just reading the whole thing makes me think theres a ton of info missing or something. The AIO's, all aio's, don't use conductive fluids so even if you left it a dripping mess and put another cooler on and plugged it back in its not going to hurt anything, even though that's not really the issue at hand. Maybe pcb damaged during AIO removal and aftermarket cooler install? EVGA has not publicly chimed in on this, other than the standard reply, so it would be interesting to see what they say....or show us?!?!

The damage is at the bottom where it plus into the pCIE port. There is s micro "chip" at the bottom. For all I now, it came from EVGA like that in the first place. I don't know.
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/11 15:49:47 (permalink)
Breakthecycle2
wmmills

The damage is at the bottom where it plus into the pCIE port. There is s micro "chip" at the bottom. For all I now, it came from EVGA like that in the first place. I don't know.

Well chip's and mar's in pcb's don't get outta the factorys, especially now a days,  because they use a laser scanner while/after there made to scan for anomaly's like that, so it def didn't come from the factory like that. EVGA knows the nuances of the manufacturing process and since its close to where your handling it/plugging it in they are probably pretty sure its customer related, but that doesn't mean they couldn't give you a one time courtesy.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

Help Our Vets From K-2!
Breakthecycle2
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/11 15:59:27 (permalink)
wmmills
Breakthecycle2
wmmills

Well chip's and mar's in pcb's don't get outta the factorys, especially now a days,  because they use a laser scanner while/after there made to scan for anomaly's like that, so it def didn't come from the factory like that. EVGA knows the nuances of the manufacturing process and since its close to where your handling it/plugging it in they are probably pretty sure its customer related, but that doesn't mean they couldn't give you a one time courtesy.

Fair point and I also cannot believe they won't issue a one time courtesy. I've pitched to them 5 different ways. The other fact still remains. They have not opened the card up to even see if it can be repaired.

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/11 16:15:14 (permalink)
Breakthecycle2
wmmills
Breakthecycle2
wmmills

Fair point and I also cannot believe they won't issue a one time courtesy. I've pitched to them 5 different ways. The other fact still remains. They have not opened the card up to even see if it can be repaired.

Yeah, unfortunately that's probably not gonna happen, the opening it up thing I mean. If they do it puts any of that questionable damage in there hands. The only way around that would be to have you sign a release so they can do that, absolving them of that damage, which im sure you don't want to do and they assume that. This, and other points, is why I said it would be interesting to see what they say. Def hope something good comes outta this for ya though.

Help Our Vets From K-2!
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/11 16:59:37 (permalink)
I remember reading a post where someone was showing a graphics card anti-static bag, inside it was a small resistor or microchip that came off the card. I don't remember if it was a brand new card or RMA replacement.

_JeffP
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 652
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/11 21:04:43 (permalink)
Damage to the PCB is irreparable so that card is a total loss, all physical damage is not covered under the warranty. I apologize for being blunt but once there is damage to the PCB that was not caused by a component failure then the only option is to purchase a replacement card. 

Everything is security. 
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/12 04:04:55 (permalink)
EVGATech_JeffP
Damage to the PCB is irreparable so that card is a total loss, all physical damage is not covered under the warranty. I apologize for being blunt but once there is damage to the PCB that was not caused by a component failure then the only option is to purchase a replacement card. 

So, the user states that the smoking and sparking, which is becoming common on evga cards sadly, happened.. where was the physical damage that occurred outside of that?

Did the OP ever get pictures providing proof? I noticed one quick mention but didn’t see pictures, so I wasn’t sure.
_JeffP
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 652
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/12 04:31:58 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one

So, the user states that the smoking and sparking, which is becoming common on evga cards sadly, happened.. where was the physical damage that occurred outside of that?

Did the OP ever get pictures providing proof? I noticed one quick mention but didn’t see pictures, so I wasn’t sure.

Please re-read the OP's recent posts, he indicates where there is damage that is not related to what you have described. 
https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2799322

Photos are sent to the customer for all damaged RMAs. 
post edited by EVGATech_JeffP - 2018/03/12 04:34:38

Everything is security. 
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/12 05:15:27 (permalink)
I had seen that the OP mentioned a small chip. Until the OP shares the picture, I am just trying to picture what the chip would look like and how it would affect the card. If it would not have any affect an obviously known issue where capacitors fail, when does a company take the initiative to say, “you know, the public knows about these failures and sees them at least once a month, maybe in good will we can overlook a blemish that had nothing to do with our known failures” or evga says, “the damage obviously caused the failure, sorry about your luck.”

Again, unless the OP decides to share the damage, it’s only speculation. You, as an evga tech, can see more than what we are able to and have a better idea of what is happening.

I know there was a case of an Australian user that was denied an RMA and cried wolf for weeks until evga bluntly posted a picture of his motherboard where the user had dropped it and never mentioned it. The user was still warranted an RMA, which was abuse of the system, so this could be a similar case of course.

Anyway, I digress. I am just rambling at this point.
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2018/03/12 05:16:38
Breakthecycle2
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/12 08:27:02 (permalink)
EVGATech_JeffP

Jeff, you are absolutely nuts, if you think the cost of a full replacement is coming out of my pocket.
Breakthecycle2
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/12 08:29:41 (permalink)
EVGATech_JeffP

Further more, I am so sure that the "chip" has no effect on the card, then I want you guys to fix my card, not a replacement, but fix it.

I have given EVGA several options to resolve this, you can add my latest suggestion to the mix.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/12 09:34:13 (permalink)
I will say, EVGA does not fix cards. Ever. They will just send the same card back to the user as t is the users property.
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/12 11:55:02 (permalink)
OP can you show up the damage on the card. If the damage was caused by faulty hardware, that should be covered by the warranty.   

Put a space in the image url, another member that has 50+ spots can help make it show up on the forums.

Breakthecycle2
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/12 18:23:16 (permalink)
MSim
OP can you show up the damage on the card. If the damage was caused by faulty hardware, that should be covered by the warranty.   

Put a space in the image url, another member that has 50+ spots can help make it show up on the forums.

Right now, they are offering me a discounted new card.

"
If the card was sparking and smoking, that’s usually a sure sign that the card is non-repairable. If there’s any kind of damage to the PCB at all from that, which there usually is, then the traces under the component that went out may be bad as well. Judging from the pins on the card that the damage occurred near, it may be affecting a ground as well as a couple 3.3V pins. This very well could be what caused the card to spark and smoke the way it did.

To work with you, I can look into offering a discount on a new card. Let me check on that and see what we can offer you. I’ll get back to you by tomorrow to let you know."
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/12 19:41:15 (permalink)
Post the images, let people see if they agree with you.

Did you buy the card using a credit card with buyers protection? 

mike406
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 904
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/12 19:55:22 (permalink)
If OP is being completely truthful, it is kinda sad to see EVGA going down this route. OP should be entitled to a replacement if the card died due to sparking from a defect. The fact that the PCB is damaged seems kinda irrelevant to me and seems they are leveraging that as a way to get out of sending a replacement unit. If an electrical failure occurred unrelated to this small break in the PCB, then it should be covered. If they can undoubtedly link the failure to the break in the PCB, then I can see EVGA's side of this, but based on what I've read, they seem to be separate things. Definitely need to see some pictures.
post edited by mike406 - 2018/03/12 20:02:57

Associate Code: 6KIMUJ06W8WFDR5 (5-10% off your purchase)              

Breakthecycle2
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/14 19:21:49 (permalink)
I will upload pics when I get back home. I am getting a bit PO off again. I have not heard back from them to this point and it seems my old card is in transit back to me. 
Breakthecycle2
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/15 17:38:42 (permalink)
Guys, I need more advice. I was supposed to hear back on Tuesday about a credit. It's now Thursday. I sent an email this morning with no response as of yet. The "problem" is, my old one is due back to tomorrow. If I don't hear back from EVGA, should I refuse the old card?
Breakthecycle2
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/15 18:37:37 (permalink)
They got back to me. They offered me a FIVE % discount. FIVE. What do I do next?
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/15 19:35:16 (permalink)
Did you buy it using a credit card, if so contact your credit card company about buyer protection. I would say contact retailer you purchased it but i doubt they would be much help.

JalenJade
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/18 21:00:11 (permalink)
Pictures promised 4 days ago... Looks like OP knows he's in the wrong and the photos would prove it.
Breakthecycle2
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/18 21:06:51 (permalink)
JalenJade
Pictures promised 4 days ago... Looks like OP knows he's in the wrong and the photos would prove it.

Or I'm traveling smart as and haven't gotten home yet.
Breakthecycle2
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/19 18:42:27 (permalink)
So here is the UPDATE. After offering a 5% discount..FIVE PERCENT on a new replacement card and me sending a response. I have not heard back from Jaeson Wilda, now going on 4 days. I have filed a complaint with the BBB (yes for the most part it won't do anything, however, if more people compain, they will 100% do something). After sending numerous tweets to EVGA, somehow Newegg got involved ( the 4 cards I purchased were from them). In one day, they have done more for me than EVGA. They are aware of the "chipped PCB" and as a one time courtesy - Something EVGA SHOULD BE offering to me and anyone else that has spent a ton of money on their products, and appear to be accepting the card back and offering a replacement or store credit. They even gave me paid shipping label so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping again. I'm not 100% sold this is going to go as easy as it seems, but it's a start and took ONE DAY. 

Here is a pic of the damage. EVGA claims this was the cause of the "smoking and sparking" which is 100% BS. The chip doesn't extend to the contact points at all. They never once tried to determine the actual cause of this. They pulled out every single stop they could, to NOT do the right thing here.

post edited by Sajin - 2018/03/19 19:29:26
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/19 19:18:51 (permalink)
I Covered your Serial Number. 2 Days as the Weekends are not part of the Work Day.
Bummer,  "chipped PCB" is still Damage to the PCB, the "smoking and sparking" would have been under the Back Plate.
But it also looks like you are missing a Screw as well and even some stripped out screws.
Do you have a Photo of your Card Showing No Chip or Damage Before you sent it in for your RMA?

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/03/19 19:29:30

Attached Image(s)

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

JalenJade
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: RMA denied because of "damage" to PCB 2018/03/19 21:15:35 (permalink)
Wait, when did EVGA say that damage was the CAUSE of the issue you sent the card in for? Physical damage to any electronic product regardless of company voids any warranty with pretty much any warranty I've ever seen. Voided warranties are generally void regardless of the reason a product was sent in. (I used to work for Dell, and at a local shop.)
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile