EVGA

RMA confusion. Is rust considered physical damage? Being charged $70 for repairs, help!

Author
lpedraja2002
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2012/12/11 18:34:05 (permalink)
Hello,

As the title said I'm quite confused on the matter.  To make things short I sent my awesome 8800gt since It started loosing video signal randomly for quite a long time until it got worse and I decided it was time for an RMA.  The card would have been 5 years old by the end of this December so I was quite satisfied with the lifetime of the product.  Well, after $25 in UPS charges for a small box ( I live in Puerto Rico) I received an email today saying that the card had physical damage  Rust!  The technician was kind enough to include the pictures in the email and I could see that the screws had a little rust on them and so did the bracket on the DVI ports.  I was instructed to pay $69.99 to continue with the RMA but this is where I'm honestly confused.  Is this even considered physical damage?  I always took good care of this card and cleaned it with compressed air only so rust happening is not my fault, its what happens to metals that aren't treated, as far as I know.  The sad thing is that I was saving to buy a new GPU and use the 8800gt as a physx card but now I don't know what to do.  I only have 5 days to decide this.   Should I pay the repairs and have a card that performs like a 8800gt which will cost almost $100 in the end?  or should I just forget about it and be without a working GPU until I buy a new card?

Also, I replied back to the technician explaining my situation, I'm waiting to see what my options are but wanted to get some advice before I make my final decision.

So much for playing games on Christmas

post edited by lpedraja2002 - 2012/12/11 18:36:41

8 Replies Related Threads

_MattV
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 301
    Re:RMA confusion. Is rust considered physical damage? Being charged $70 for repairs, help 2012/12/11 23:53:16 (permalink)
    Hello,

It is possible that they would consider rust as damage since it would need moisture to form. I would suggest just following up through email and you should have a reply sometime tomorrow. 

lpedraja2002
    Re:RMA confusion. Is rust considered physical damage? Being charged $70 for repairs, help 2012/12/12 19:31:20 (permalink)
    Well,  I'm still in the process of resolving this.  The technician was kind enough to lower the price to $40 but I find that these charges shouldn't be applied to me considering the original limited lifetime warranty terms that should be applied to me since I purchased way before 2011 and in no way mention rust as part of the physical damage description.

Any other advice would be nice. 
    BioHazardSperm
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 9988
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re:RMA confusion. Is rust considered physical damage? Being charged $70 for repairs, help 2012/12/13 03:53:34 (permalink)
    Rust is damage.Things don't rust in a dry environment very fast .To much moisture in the air going into a Pc(pulled in by fans) ,water cooling spills all can cause this.Things need certain factors to rust ,none of those factors should ever be near or part of a computers daily running environment.I would take the reduced offer and be happy.then i would look over why i am getting rust on parts inside my Pc,and look for other possible things that have rusted.

I am  >>NOT< <   a  EVGA Forums Moderator or a EVGA.com  Employee.
    I am only a  "Game Server Admin"
    My posts and are my own and not EVGA's.

lpedraja2002
    Re:RMA confusion. Is rust considered physical damage? Being charged $70 for repairs, help 2012/12/13 09:12:25 (permalink)
    Thank you for your reply BioHazardSperm but the thing is that I do not live in a dry environment.  I live in Puerto Rico and the climate ranges from hot and humid to cold and humid, with humidity reaching 80% or more. 

I guess I will have to pay in the end since my 5 days for the payment are almost over and I don't want to end up loosing $25 for shipping in vain.  The total amount (assuming I don't have to pay them to ship me the GPU) will be about $65, which coincidentally is the price of a new 9800gt on Amazon. 

So far, I'm displeased with the way EVGA uses its lifetime warranty.  I hope at least that I get something better in return to make all this hassle worth it.
    BioHazardSperm
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 9988
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re:RMA confusion. Is rust considered physical damage? Being charged $70 for repairs, help 2012/12/13 12:44:52 (permalink)
    They do carry a large amount of older cards for RMA's .But it doesn't hurt to be hopeful.As for being "displeased",Cards dont get rust unless water was introduced to the PCB threw a mistake or bad water cooling in such a small time frame.I cant seem to fault EVGA when they cant control how/what happens to your GPU,while in your possession and use.I do wish you a upgrade as that card is old now.Good Luck :)

I am  >>NOT< <   a  EVGA Forums Moderator or a EVGA.com  Employee.
    I am only a  "Game Server Admin"
    My posts and are my own and not EVGA's.

PanzerMensch
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1946
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re:RMA confusion. Is rust considered physical damage? Being charged $70 for repairs, help 2012/12/16 08:17:08 (permalink)
    Where exactly is the rust? solder joints?
    st0n3r
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1292
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:RMA confusion. Is rust considered physical damage? Being charged $70 for repairs, help 2012/12/17 09:43:14 (permalink)
    I would actually just eat the $25 you spent to mail the card and leave it. Theres no way i would pay $40 for an 8800gt at this point when you can get a much better performing 650 card for under $150. Based on your post it seems like you are like many where money doesnt grow on trees in the backyard, so spending $40 or more on a card thats 5 generations old is simply not worth it in my opinion. You can maybe ask if you can get credit towards another card or something if thats something they would offer.

Asus P9X79Pro
    Intel Core I7 4930k
    G-Skill Ripjaws 16gb 1866mhz
    EVGA 690 GTX Classified x 2
    4x Mushkin Eco 3 480gb SSD's
    WD 2tb Hdd
    Custom Lian Li / Koolance Case
    EVGA 1300 G2 PSU

My Affiliate Code: W50NH5B95M
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re:RMA confusion. Is rust considered physical damage? Being charged $70 for repairs, help 2012/12/22 12:29:41 (permalink)
    Just use this as a lesson for future dealings with EVGA RMA department. If any product looks worn or beaten up demand a replacement be sent out.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile