RMA Refused due to Damage

Author
GlaciousG1ACX
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/01/10 05:30:29 (permalink)
Hey All,

I recently just sent in 2 980ti's for RMA, one being completely dead when trying to boot and the other showing random artifacting when using a specific display port on it. I have had these cards for quite a few years now but luckily both of them had been registered on the site and where within the warranty period.

One of the cards has a tiny bit of damage to the very edge of the PCB now this part of the PCB is completely and utterly blank as in the small damage that was there does nothing what so ever to the running of the card and now that RMA has been refused despite it being in pristine condition otherwise and all warranty stickers intack.

Am I just **** out of luck now? Spend over £1000 on graphics card and now stuck with a faulty one? 

If the dead graphics card gets replaced and I get a different model compared to the one with the "damage" what happens then as my SLI will obviously not work. I could understand this completely if that damage stopped the card working or was the cause of the problem but its a completely blank piece of plastic....

Also I sawa on the Nvidia reddit that one of the EVGA staff members posted that if you have an SLI configuration and a card is replaced under RMA then would accept the 2nd card in and change that for the same model as long as it is under warranty which they both are so is this something that can be done??

Post is: 

Any help with this problem would be great. Was hoping this would be a simple RMA process but it has taken awhile and now this :(

I have attached the picture as you can see this part missing is that same part as on the left hand side of the PCI pins and it is and was completely blank, I know it is "Damage" but it does nothing in terms of the issue I was having.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Image(s)

18 Replies Related Threads

ErinW
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 1149
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/10 05:42:05 (permalink)
    We would replace the card under warranty for SLI setups. However, this card would not be under warranty due to the physical damage to the PCB. 

Regardless of where the damage is on the PCB, it will be rejected. 
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/10 05:59:45 (permalink)
    EVGATech_ErinW
    We would replace the card under warranty for SLI setups. However, this card would not be under warranty due to the physical damage to the PCB. 

I love eVGA, I really do....but scraped PCB's can happen....and I find it absolutely egregiously bad that cosmetic damage is used to deny RMA's.

Not gonna keep me from buying eVGA, but that absolutely isn't touching a trace.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

ErinW
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 1149
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/10 06:08:50 (permalink)
    transdogmifier
    EVGATech_ErinW

I love eVGA, I really do....but scraped PCB's can happen....and I find it absolutely egregiously bad that cosmetic damage is used to deny RMA's.

That's more than cosmetic, it's a broken chunk off the PCB. The card is not acceptable for refurbishment, and therefore was rejected. 
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/10 06:34:56 (permalink)
    transdogmifier
    EVGATech_ErinW

That isn’t a scrape on the PCB by any means...

There is an entire Tab missing:

The pcb is not so fragile that those accidentally pop off.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2019/01/10 06:56:39
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/10 08:52:33 (permalink)
    Wow.... how the heck did you do that OP?!?!? Or was it on purpose to fit it past something on a mobo?!?

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    GlaciousG1ACX
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/10 09:54:43 (permalink)

This is a picture of my 2nd system that I had previously used the 980ti in, obviously back in the day I spent £550 on the card and it would simply not fit in the above system due to the large black capacitor, and wasn't going to replace the entire system because of a tiny bit off plastic. I done my checks and as mentioned above its a cosmetic part that bit, it has zero printed parts or circuits on it and does not contribute to helping stablise the card where it sits as the cards are screwed and clipped in.

If I knew this was going to bite me in the ass so badly now I wouldn't have obviously done it. The RMA/Tech team know this part is and has nothing what so ever with the issue I actually have with the card (artifacting). As I said I could see if the main part of the PCB was damaged or the card had even been taken apart but none of that is true.

Just feels abit bad that spent alot of money of these and have been great cards and the slightest change to one or order for it to actually fit to an old system and now made the card completely and utterly worthless.

Worst of all the only reason I even put this 980ti into my old system was because it was the only system I could use for testing both the cards, I had to test both the cards on a different system to see what was wrong which ended up being the other 980ti which was completely dead.

I am sorry for the rant but feels really gutting.....

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/10 10:01:57 (permalink)
    The OP Should Never of Installed the Card in the Frist Place on this Motherboard.
    Is this a Dell Alienware X51 R2 Computer, you should have read the Dell Forums if it is.
     What Motherboard is this?

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/01/10 10:06:52

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

GlaciousG1ACX
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/10 10:08:22 (permalink)
    It was an old alienware system I had and the card had worked in this PC/motherboard for well over a year.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/10 10:11:54 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, it may have been easier to swap out the motherboard in the end. Even though there are no traces in that part of the pcb, it is still considered physical damage and no company would be able to repair that so that they could use it for future RMA’s or replacements.
    Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 17474
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/10 10:38:47 (permalink)
    I am assuming you ran those cards in SLI on another board so theres no way in Hades that you could on the pictured board you used to modify that one video card by removing the PCB tab.    So......    why is the video card artifacting?   is it due to the use of the certain DVI port or any port?   if that's the case, then mabay crack it open and replace the TIM.   Is it an issue of the the GPU running hot or is it a driver issue or just a bad DVI connection.   I'd look at the DVI port and see if there's a soldered area broken and maybe be repaired.   It's no longer under warranty, so why not. 

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
    Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
    Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
    education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
    A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    GlaciousG1ACX
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/10 10:45:26 (permalink)
    I did run those cards in SLI on my current build (ASUS Z170-A Board), the picture above is an old Alienware PC I had and I had used the 980ti in question in that PC before my new build. Hope that makes sense.

As you said no harm in looking I guess.... not now :(

Was also told I could get a replacement card for 380 euros although abit hard when your poor now lol how times change.

post edited by GlaciousG1ACX - 2019/01/10 10:50:21

GlaciousG1ACX
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/10 14:56:26 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    It is still considered physical damage and no company would be able to repair that so that they could use it for future RMA’s or replacements.

I understand this part fully and spoke to someone on customer support on the phone about this and I mentioned that nearly every post in the last 6 months to a year who have RMA'ed 980ti's have been getting back 1070's or even some lucky people 1080's, I asked why this was and he said that the 980's are now at end of life and no longer get sent out as replacements hence people are getting upgrades, I guess I was just hoping something could be done considering this fact and how the EVGA support had been rated and that this was the entire reason I went with EVGA.

Not really sure what I was expected to do with the card in order to fit it to my old alienware system if there was a giant capacitor in the way :(

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/10 15:26:09 (permalink)
    EVGA will usually send out the same replacement if it is available, even if the card is End Of Life. It is all up to availability of RMA stock.
    GlaciousG1ACX
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/15 06:25:54 (permalink)
    Well just to keep people updated, I sent a lengthy email explaining the problem to the US and EU Customer Service Managers just to see if there is anything at all that can be done.

I got this reply.

"Normally any physical modification of the card would void the warranty terms. That said, there may be an option or two we can explore to help you out. Let me see get in contact with my counterpart in the EU and see what I we can do to work with you. Due to the EU team's hours, I may not hear back before the weekend, if that happens I'll let you know on Monday if there's anything we can do for you."

So I am just waiting for a reply from either of them directly about my email and go from there, I am really hoping something can be done as a one off or it is literally £550 down the drain. Fingers crossed and do appreciate the email back from Jaeson Wilda :)

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/15 06:44:13 (permalink)
    My bad...didn't realize the whole chunk was gone...yep...refusal time, sadly

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

batboy88
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/15 08:51:39 (permalink)
    You shouldn't have to man and you can mongoloid their all you want their tuff and hard to break ...They are excellent with their warranty. Other mobo had some bios issue or the chip...They sent a new board..hell I was just gonna try the chip.

Vulgar language removed by the_Scarlet_one
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2019/01/15 09:10:47

7700k/5.2ghz-1.34v/ FTW K/ custom Loop/ Crucial/Micron Ballistix- 3200mhz/ Vega 56 Reference/ Cooler Master GXII Pro 750w

2600x/MSI X470 4.3ghz
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/01/15 09:58:53 (permalink)
    GlaciousG1ACX
    Well just to keep people updated, I sent a lengthy email explaining the problem to the US and EU Customer Service Managers just to see if there is anything at all that can be done.

I got this reply.

"Normally any physical modification of the card would void the warranty terms. That said, there may be an option or two we can explore to help you out. Let me see get in contact with my counterpart in the EU and see what I we can do to work with you. Due to the EU team's hours, I may not hear back before the weekend, if that happens I'll let you know on Monday if there's anything we can do for you."

So I am just waiting for a reply from either of them directly about my email and go from there, I am really hoping something can be done as a one off or it is literally £550 down the drain. Fingers crossed and do appreciate the email back from Jaeson Wilda :)

kimmed
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: RMA Refused due to Damage 2019/02/14 06:03:40 (permalink)
    thanks for sharing

post edited by kimmed - 2019/02/14 06:06:06
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile