Question About PrecisionX-16 and Fan Curves

Author
gahelm
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/04/05 20:22:23 (permalink)
I have the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti FTW GAMING ACX 2.0+ and would like to run a custom fan curve to better cool my card.  (I don't like my electronics to run hot.)  Unfortunately I have noticed several odd problems with my system (Win10 Pro, Intel-I7, 16Gram, 500G SSD, 1TB HDD, 1 - Bluray Burner, 1 DVD Burner, 1 Acer Predator G-Sync Monitor)  when PrecisionX is installed, the most common being that the system will not always shutdown, I will have to kill the power.  Is it possible to install PrecisionX, load my custom fan curve, and then de-install PrecisionX?  I guess I am asking will the custom fan curve be installed to the GPU firmware?  Is it possible to get EVGA to generate a custom curve for the card BIOS, or is there an existing version of the BIOS that doesn't shutoff the fan completely that I can load?

With the current Nvidia driver my card idles at 53-55c, and when running games like The Division or even running my BOINC software the card is reaching temps of 75 - 78c.  Since I leave my computer on most nights which is when the BOINC software runs, that means the card will be cooking for many hours and prematurely aging it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

2 Replies Related Threads

bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1604
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Question About PrecisionX-16 and Fan Curves 2016/04/05 21:21:35 (permalink)
    Hello,
    If you are experiencing issues with Precision X then remember you can also try using MSI Afterburner, a similar program.  You can just uninstall Precision X and use MSI Afterburner, assuming MSI Afterburner does not cause the same or other issues.  

If you have any more questions let me know!

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Question About PrecisionX-16 and Fan Curves 2016/04/06 00:15:48 (permalink)
    If the fan is shutting off completely on your GTX 980 Ti FTW GAMING ACX 2.0+, chances are that the QSD BIOS (Quick Switch Dual BIOS) switch is in the dBi position (Quiet Mode), consequently shutting off the fan below 60C..You can switch it to the Performance position where the fan will run in Low RPM Mode below 60C..You can find out the switch location and positions (and other information) here by scrolling down to, and clicking on QSD BIOS - Quick Switch Dual BIOS.

You cannot load a custom fan curve and then uninstall PrecisionX..PrecisionX will not change the fan curve in the GPU firmware (VBIOS), you would need to modify and flash the VBIOS to do that which would void your warranty if you ever need to RMA and don't/can't flash it back to the original/authorized VBIOS..If you're experiencing issues with PrecisionX and would like your card to run cooler, try MSI Afterburner instead to create a custom fan speed curve as stated above.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile