Author
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 282
2019/11/13 18:53:18 (permalink)
About Quake-Catcher Network Sensor Monitoring https://quakecatcher.net/sensor/
The Quake Catcher Network (QCN) is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to do research, education, and outreach in seismology.
You can participate by downloading and running a free program on your computer.
Currently only certain Mac (OS X) PPC and Intel laptops are supported -- recent ones which have a built-in accelerometer.
You can also buy an external USB accelerometer.
QCN is based at the University of Southern California (USC).
From 2015 to 2016, QCN was based at the Caltech Divisien of Geological and Planetary Sciences (GPS). From 2007 to 2015 QCN was based at the Stanford University School of Earth Sciences The Quake Catcher Network (QCN)
The Quake-Catcher Network is a collaborative initiative for developing the world’s largest, low-cost strong-motion seismic network by utilizing sensors in and attached to internet-connected computers.
With your help, the Quake-Catcher Network can provide better understanding of earthquakes, especially in areas that do not have large, broadband seismic networks and/or are not known to be particularly earthquake prone.
The Quake-Catcher Network also provides educational software designed to help teach about earthquakes and earthquake hazards.
https://quakecatcher.net/index.php

Request a Sensor

Sensor Sales are Currently Closed

We are currently underway on a major overhaul of the QCN servers and software. Service will be disrupted often. Until we can provide a more stable service, we are not distributing sensors. Please check this website to learn when we have resumed normal service.

Thanks, The QCN Team

Not sure about this one, I am running some tasks (NCI) but not sure what they really do ATM
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/11/13 18:55:07

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

2 Replies Related Threads

cuarc001
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 509
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Quake-Catcher Network Sensor Monitoring 2019/11/13 19:02:26 (permalink)
    The admins have been absent for months. They never fixed the credit loss when they restored a database after a migration. ( I lost probably 40% of my total) I think Carl was right when he said it is now just a publicity stunt as all the research in the field has already ripped off the concept or moved on. Carl was the admin that developed the app and also helped with the original climateprediction.net setup. Work units keep coming out but it is mostly a ghost town and nobody even knows if anyone even looks at the results... I keep them running on all of my Androids but don't see any light coming at the end of this tunnel...

Edit: They also haven't credited points for months.
    post edited by cuarc001 - 2019/11/13 19:05:29

Gilthanis - HardForums [H] DC'er of the Month 7/13, 7/14 and [H] DC'er of the Year 2014

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Quake-Catcher Network Sensor Monitoring 2019/11/14 06:31:21 (permalink)
    Thank you for the information.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile