Possible RMA Situation - Fan Problems with 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Author
rlg5150
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/12/07 09:48:39 (permalink)
Hello,

I have been in contact with support about my 3080 FTW3 Ultra. The middle fan is making a thudding/grinding sound. 

Here it is in the system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFYy9CZZJjw

And here it is out of the system manually spinning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jo779uyBnE

My issue now is that after reinstalling the card it is now spinning smoothly again. Is the fan failing or was something just misaligned? It's not hitting the shroud. The fan had noticeable resistance when spinning manually that is now gone. Did a drop of oil fall into place when I took it out maybe? Never had a problem like this. Should I just go ahead and RMA? I like the thermals and performance of my card, hate to send it back in and play the silicon lottery again.
post edited by rlg5150 - 2021/12/07 09:51:05

6 Replies Related Threads

jaredbyoung
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 465
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Possible RMA Situation - Fan Problems with 3080 FTW3 Ultra 2021/12/07 10:25:09 (permalink)
    I guess if it's not doing it now then you're probably better off running it. If it happens again, though, I'd just go ahead and send it back. I'd put money on that fan being the first thing to fail on that card long term even if you don't notice the issue again for a while.

I'd take the protective plastic off the fan center hub. It could potentially cause balance issues and it's not intended to remain on during use. 
    rlg5150
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: Possible RMA Situation - Fan Problems with 3080 FTW3 Ultra 2021/12/07 11:05:27 (permalink)
    jaredbyoung
    I guess if it's not doing it now then you're probably better off running it. If it happens again, though, I'd just go ahead and send it back. I'd put money on that fan being the first thing to fail on that card long term even if you don't notice the issue again for a while.

I'd take the protective plastic off the fan center hub. It could potentially cause balance issues and it's not intended to remain on during use. 

I just checked and the plastic was indeed still on the fans. I took it off. Hopefully it stays running smooth. I found some replacement fans for the card for preorder but it's $80 just for the fans. Seems steep. I wish EVGA would just ship me a fan based on the video and I could swap it myself. Seems like a bigger hassle on both sides to send in the whole card for replacement.

Thanks for your response!
    Tyranosaurus
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Possible RMA Situation - Fan Problems with 3080 FTW3 Ultra 2021/12/08 06:31:51 (permalink)
    I just noticed the same with one of my fans today. I suppose I can try removing it as well and see if moving distributes oil better. I think based on this (apparently they won't let me link to the evga FAQ #55) we can add more lubricant as long as damage is not caused to parts. Though it does say replace fans and not re-lube them.
    post edited by Tyranosaurus - 2021/12/08 06:36:58
    j3zzr
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: Possible RMA Situation - Fan Problems with 3080 FTW3 Ultra 2021/12/09 04:09:16 (permalink)
    New card or did u have it for a while?
    EVGATech_DanielM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1132
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Possible RMA Situation - Fan Problems with 3080 FTW3 Ultra 2021/12/09 08:04:45 (permalink)
    rlg5150

I just checked and the plastic was indeed still on the fans. I took it off. Hopefully it stays running smooth. I found some replacement fans for the card for preorder but it's $80 just for the fans. Seems steep. I wish EVGA would just ship me a fan based on the video and I could swap it myself. Seems like a bigger hassle on both sides to send in the whole card for replacement.

We keep a 1:1 ratio of parts for RMA purposes at our facility and while we allow customers to disassemble their cards sending out parts would encourage this practice which can lead to some damaging their products doing so. 

veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    Re: Possible RMA Situation - Fan Problems with 3080 FTW3 Ultra 2021/12/09 14:21:28 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DanielM
    rlg5150

We keep a 1:1 ratio of parts for RMA purposes at our facility and while we allow customers to disassemble their cards sending out parts would encourage this practice which can lead to some damaging their products doing so. 

fan repair is usually straightforward as is thermal material

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile