EVGA

PTM7950 on a 3080TI Hybrid (merged posts)

Author
Cancel077
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 201
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2024/08/03 16:59:12 (permalink)
For a hybrid that has a copper plate installed. Since the pump side isn't all square, and it has some semi circles (where the screws are) on the edges. Do you think I should apply a mixture of ptm7950 on the core, and Mx6 paste on the sides that touches the copper plate? I am just thinking that applying ptm7950 on such small surface area might be a pain.

Cool GTX
Not bad temps in an 85 F ambient room

Hot spot +18 C over GPU temp - the TIM might have pumped out & left a small dry spot on the GPU that will respond to reapplying TIM

Make sure you have completed the registration of the GPU & uploaded the invoice/ receipt - Then - I'd contact EVGA (  Support@EVGA.com  ) & see if thermal pads are available - you need the correct thickness & they need to be the correct softness - or - you risk poor contact with GPU die & even higher GPU temps

look this over  https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3624045

donta1979
Those wondering and wanting to see how good Honeywell PTM7950 pads are if you do not believe those of us who are using it, maybe you will believe Igor.
Not over-hyped: Honeywell PTM7950 in a lab test and a real game changer for graphics cards | igor´sLAB (igorslab.de)

post edited by Cancel077 - 2024/08/09 07:40:48

10 Replies Related Threads

Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: GPU temps and Precision X1 throttle temp question 2024/08/03 17:01:21 (permalink)
    LTT sells them now. Ordered mine last week, I'm getting it on Tuesday.

DUGLST
    Thanks again for the info. MODDIY paste sounds great. I wish shipped from someplace closer than China.  I might get some anyway, at least eventually.

Yesterday I registered my GPU and jumped through the other EVGA hoops so they should be shipping me new pads soon. In the meantime, dropping the voltage helped reduce the temps enough. Also, my GPU fans weren't getting to 100% soon enough so I adjusted the curves a little and that helped too. 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30698
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: GPU temps and Precision X1 throttle temp question 2024/08/03 20:26:22 (permalink)
    [
    Cancel077
    For a hybrid that has a copper plate installed. Since the pump side isn't all square, and it has some semi circles (where the screws are) on the edges. Do you think I should apply a mixture of ptm7950 on the core, and Mx6 paste on the sides that touches the copper plate? I am just thinking that applying ptm7950 on such small surface area might be a pain.

Cool GTX

Hot spot +18 C over GPU temp - the TIM might have pumped out & left a small dry spot on the GPU that will respond to reapplying TIM

Make sure you have completed the registration of the GPU & uploaded the invoice/ receipt - Then - I'd contact EVGA (  Support@EVGA.com  ) & see if thermal pads are available - you need the correct thickness & they need to be the correct softness - or - you risk poor contact with GPU die & even higher GPU temps

donta1979
    Those wondering and wanting to see how good Honeywell PTM7950 pads are if you do not believe those of us who are using it, maybe you will believe Igor.
    Not over-hyped: Honeywell PTM7950 in a lab test and a real game changer for graphics cards | igor´sLAB (igorslab.de)

NO --> read that entire link I posted

Just to be crystal clear ---> it will not help with an AIO - read the link below, I've added an Excerpt of the part that applies to AIO use

(excerpt)

"Where I see problems are with water coolers and water blocks, where there might not be a complete phase change, at least on the cooler side. But you need at least 55 to 60 degrees throughout the pad for a complete change of state. “Half-defrosted” pads are counterproductive and are even more prone to cracking. At least that’s what one of the OEMs has now confirmed to me. Everyone has to work out for themselves how to solve this properly. I wouldn’t use a pad on a water block, at least not a PCM,"

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: GPU temps and Precision X1 throttle temp question 2024/08/03 21:42:35 (permalink)
    I'll go read that link now. But the phase change happens at 45C? I guess you kind of answered my initial question. My vrm temps during gaming is 40-50s, barely 60. So sure. Due to the copper plate mod however, both vrm and my core touches the pump, which is why I was asking.

But my core temp is above 60 right now after years of not changing the paste. During gaming I get to close to 70 or just go over.

Even if I get my old temps back of 55-60C, that core gets hot really quick. It should be perfect for a GPU aio. What am I missing here?

Cool GTX
    [
    Cancel077

Cool GTX

donta1979

NO --> read that entire link I posted

Just to be crystal clear ---> it will not help with an AIO - read the link below, I've added an Excerpt of the part that applies to AIO use

(excerpt)

"Where I see problems are with water coolers and water blocks, where there might not be a complete phase change, at least on the cooler side. But you need at least 55 to 60 degrees throughout the pad for a complete change of state. “Half-defrosted” pads are counterproductive and are even more prone to cracking. At least that’s what one of the OEMs has now confirmed to me. Everyone has to work out for themselves how to solve this properly. I wouldn’t use a pad on a water block, at least not a PCM,"
    post edited by Cancel077 - 2024/08/03 21:47:45
    tattude69
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 483
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: GPU temps and Precision X1 throttle temp question 2024/08/04 14:54:47 (permalink)
    That gpu with proper paste and hybrid cooler wont hit high enough temperature for it to cure properly and if you turn the fans down to force  cure it.  when you use the gpu normally it wont be operating at hot enough temperature to maintain the phase change which is what makes it work so well. your gpu has to much cooling and does not run hot enough for the Honeywell PTM 7950 to work a proper thermal paste application and aggressive fan curve will work better for your situation Undervolting will do wonders for temperature. My  3070 ti runs 2035mhz  at.975mv it did not change when i switched to a full EK waterblock. The gpu never run hot enough for thermal throttling and now i can run it cooler with waterblock and custom loop  but it did not give me more performance hope this helps 

Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: GPU temps and Precision X1 throttle temp question 2024/08/04 15:20:48 (permalink)
    Sorry I'm not understanding what you are saying. What temperature for you means "gpu normally won't be operating hot enough temperature to maintain the phase change"?

A gpu, easily, even without the evga hybrid kit, will go over 45C. You are gaming for an hour? It'll be over 45C. The core average in games ranges between 55-75C or higher, depending on your cooling capability. My 3080ti during gaming is around 65-70C easy.

So anything over 45C will maintain the phase change.

Also there's no curing unless you are applying liquid ptm7950. The pad is already cured. You just need to "burn it in" so it becomes more efficient

tattude69
    That gpu with proper paste and hybrid cooler wont hit high enough temperature for it to cure properly and if you turn the fans down to force  cure it.  when you use the gpu normally it wont be operating at hot enough temperature to maintain the phase change which is what makes it work so well. your gpu has to much cooling and does not run hot enough for the Honeywell PTM 7950 to work a proper thermal paste application and aggressive fan curve will work better for your situation Undervolting will do wonders for temperature. My  3070 ti runs 2035mhz  at.975mv it did not change when i switched to a full EK waterblock. The gpu never run hot enough for thermal throttling and now i can run it cooler with waterblock and custom loop  but it did not give me more performance hope this helps 
    post edited by Cancel077 - 2024/08/04 15:22:31
    tattude69
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 483
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: GPU temps and Precision X1 throttle temp question 2024/08/04 20:28:11 (permalink)
    A 3080ti runs alot hotter then a rtx 3070 Original post was about rtx 3070 hybrid when using an AIO or waterblock only one side of the pad will reach phasechange the heat of the gpu will not transfer to both sides of the thermal pad, waterblock or aio plate will not be at same temp as gpu die hence only partial pad phase. Try it out post results I am sure it will be better then dried out thermal paste

Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: GPU temps and Precision X1 throttle temp question 2024/08/08 23:21:32 (permalink)
    I installed PTM7950 on my hybrid 3080ti. Please note that I also have a copper plate mod, so my vrms are getting cooled by the radiator vice the vrm fan.

So far temps are GREAT. On 3dmark time spy, with a fresh MX4 paste and push/pull with noctua redux p12-1700 I used to get 54C (I know there are better tests, but for comparison wise I always use that). Over time it gotten worse and with recent tests I would get 66-68C on 100% rad fans, vrm fan and case fan (yes it's louddddd). In gaming (cs2), I would start in the 62-ish C and finish my night in a warm room at 72C, with 50% case fans, 60% rad fans and 35% vrm fan.

With PTM7950 so far:
    1. 3dmark time spy: 54C with push ONLY with noctua A12x25 at 60% rad fans, 35% VRM (I could turn it off completely but I would still like some airflow in there)
    2. Gaming: same fan speed as above (nice and quiet!), under 60C no matter what. Even if my room got warmer, I would fluctuate between 52-58/59.
    3. Furmark: for some burn in, I left regular fan speed as above, and I would be maxed out at 58/59C same as gaming. I did turn down the rad fans to 35/40% and I was getting 66-68C max.

Overall super happy. I think it's the same temps or better with a fresh thermal paste, BUT I'm using only 2 rad fans instead of 4. I was getting annoyed with the very loud PC that I started looking at quiet options (obviously gotta throw noctua a12x25 in there!). Now I'll never need to re-paste again and temps should stay pretty consistent.

Temps are above 45C, so a phase change should occur. I also have a hotspot that is in the 60s, and VRM that although not touching the ptm7950, it is getting heat to the pump plate. Pump plate should be above 45C, so I see the PTM7950 working as intended. And if it doesn't, I mean whatever, it's efficient enough to give me low, consistent temperatures.
    post edited by Cancel077 - 2024/08/08 23:28:25
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30698
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: Can I use ptm 7950 on my hybrid that has a copper plate installed 2024/08/09 07:03:14 (permalink)
    Glad your happy with your results, please give a monthly update & let us know if it stays stable for you.

Split from another member's thread & moved to 30 series GPU section of forums

(the quotes were from the other thread)

(moved from GPU temps and Precision X1 throttle temp question)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Can I use ptm 7950 on my hybrid that has a copper plate installed 2024/08/09 07:28:23 (permalink)
    Will provide updates! Thanks for the post merge!
    Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Can I use ptm 7950 on my hybrid that has a copper plate installed 2024/09/12 10:11:28 (permalink)
    From my last post, so far temps are similar as to the one I posted on 9 Aug. Under same conditions. Unfortunately, I do not test and monitor the temps during consistent conditions as my room fluctuates with room temperatures. But under the same conditions as above, minus room temps:

With PTM7950 so far:
    1. 3dmark time spy: I got a 50C for this test this time.
    2. Gaming: no change with gaming. I max out at 60C, and this is when my room door is closed and it's heating up. Normally I would be between 52-56/58, pretty much as posted above. 
    3. Furmark: I think I ran it last time around 10 min. I was maxing out at 60C this time. Maybe 1-2C worse, but honestly environment isn't consistent so hard to tell. 

Overall, no real change from last month's post. If I notice any noticeable changes I will definitely post, but right now it seems consistent and steady. Otherwise, will provide another update next month.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile