EVGA

PSU works but not when connected

Author
The Boog
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/03/20 19:54:54 (permalink)
I just bought a new rig and put it together tonight. Specs are below. Power didn’t turn on, did the paper clip test and it works. When plugged into the new rig...nothing.

I imagine something isn’t connected properly, but I can’t figure it out.

PSU - EVGA 650 GQ
Case - Corsair 4000d
Motherboard - MSI B550-A Pro
Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Memory - 2 Crucial Ballistix (2x8)
Storage - Team 2tb SSD
Old graphic card while I wait for EVGA to step up production (still didn’t power up when removed)

I’ve made sure everything is seated properly. First rig I’ve built in over 20 years (yeah, I’m old) so any help or info I can give to get help would be great.

6 Replies Related Threads

TheDoctorCMG
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 345
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: PSU works but not when connected 2021/03/20 20:21:16 (permalink)
    My only guess could be if the front panel connectors are hooked up wrong and all of the other cables are plugged into the right spots. You could try double checking those if you haven't already. Otherwise, see if you can get a cheap PSU from a local tech store to test then return it if the problem persists. 

CPU: I7 7820x @ 4.7ghz
    Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Pro x299
    Mem: Corsair Vengeance LP 3000mhz
    PSU: EVGA 850 Supernova G3
    GPU: FE Nvidia RTX 3090
    Case: Corsair 5000d Airflow
    CPU Cooler: EKWB AIO 360 Elite
    VirtualUnreality
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 122
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: PSU works but not when connected 2021/03/20 21:38:30 (permalink)
    You can unplug case power switch and short the pins to verify, also could be bad switch(?) causing issue.  Fingers crossed its the cheap easy option to fix!  

Want an easy way to save up to 10% on your next EVGA purchase? Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the EVGA associate code Y8SZAS1DU12NL92 at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to say "Thank You!" for using it! 

When you register your products please use my Rewards Program Code: NHZXD6NWS9 when uploading your invoice.  Thank you!
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: PSU works but not when connected 2021/03/21 01:10:20 (permalink)
    Unplug each cable from the PSU itself, and verify both that it's plugged into the correct slot, and that the correct end of the cable is plugged into the PSU. Having the cable reversed can actually cause a direct short, and is one reason why the unit may be refusing to power on. Some people do accidentally reverse the EPS12V or the 6/8pin GPU cable at the PSU, even some PSUs I own allow them to be plugged in backwards. Then double check all the cables are correctly lined up with whatever they are plugged into one your system. 

After all of that if the problem still occurs, take everything out of the case and try to power it on without the case attached to anything. Be sure to use the motherboard box under the motherboard, or something else nonconductive. Anti-ESD bags are actually bad for this, don't put the board on the bag it came in.

Have water, will cool. 
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    Re: PSU works but not when connected 2021/03/21 02:58:26 (permalink)
    It's always best to start with the minimum hardware installed when running a check. I would reset the bios and you probably can even remove memory and hard drives since you will just get a beep code or light code on bootup if you don't have them installed. The reason I mention that is it's important to make sure that the ram/M.2 hasn't became unseated while running cables.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

The Boog
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: PSU works but not when connected 2021/03/21 07:34:32 (permalink)
    I/O was not plugged in properly. We have power! Just need to wait for a GRaphics card now as mines apparently too old for the MB.
    VirtualUnreality
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 122
    Re: PSU works but not when connected 2021/03/21 16:56:41 (permalink)
      Glad you got it solved, I'm sure it's a big relief ( Been there myself more than once... ).  Wishing you best of luck getting your new GPU soonest!  Congrats on getting your hands dirty again after that 20 year hiatus!

Want an easy way to save up to 10% on your next EVGA purchase? Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the EVGA associate code Y8SZAS1DU12NL92 at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to say "Thank You!" for using it! 

When you register your products please use my Rewards Program Code: NHZXD6NWS9 when uploading your invoice.  Thank you!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile