EVGA

AnsweredPC Restarts in Games, Possible Hardware Issue

Author
DabHandJones
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/11/28 12:15:52 (permalink)
I've been troubleshooting an issue that I can't pin on one particular piece of hardware yet and I want your help. I use a gaming PC and a streaming PC, and the hardware issue is with the Gaming PC. I put the specs for both of my PCs below, and then the problem under that. Thank you to anyone who tries to help out!

Game PC
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) (Set to XMP profile)
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro AIO
RAM: Quad Channel 8gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200MHz (4X8gb sticks)
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080TI SC2 Hybrid
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850P2 80+ Platinum 850watt
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo NVMe M.2 500gb (Boot Drive), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500gb, Western Digital HDD 2tb

Stream PC
Motherboard: Asus 7170-AR (No OC Set)
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i AIO
RAM: Dual Channel 8gb Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400MHz (2X8gb sticks)
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC (Modded with the EVGA Hybrid Kit)
PSU: EVGA 850GQ 80+ Gold 850watt
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo SSD (Boot Drive)

The issue is whenever I play pretty much any game on the Game PC, the PC will randomly full restart. No blue screen or anything else pops up before the system crashes and resets, its just sudden and immediate. When the crashes happen, the PC immediately reboots and starts right back up (No boot loop happens). GTA 5 was the first game I started getting restarts in, but they also started happening in pretty much any game I play. The only game I can play non-stop without crashes is Classic World of Warcraft, which I think is only because its a 15 year old game. I'm also lucky if I can get through a 3D Mark Benchmark without the PC restarting in the middle of the bench.

The first thing I did was go into my Event Viewer to see the crash reports. The crash source was Kernel-Power, and the event ID was 41. When copying the detailed event data into google and searching for answers, I pretty much got the gist it could be all sorts of possible problems, so I just thought to troubleshoot various things still. I have checked to make sure I have the latest drivers for everything, including graphics drivers. Windows 10 is completely up to date. I updated my BIOS to it's latest version. I tried playing games without an OC on anything and just default BIOS settings. I reinstalled games that I have already experienced crashes in. None of this resolved the crashes, so I decided to move on to hardware troubleshooting.

Since I have two PCs, I swapped out the GPUs. I put the 1080TI in the Stream PC, and the 1070 in the Game PC. With the 1070 now in the Game PC, the crashes no longer happen. And with the 1080TI in the Stream PC, the crashes also don't happen (Remember, the stream PC hasn't had any crashes from the beginning). I ran a 3D Mark stress test multiple times on both PCs while the GPUs were swapped, and got interesting results. I did the Fire Strike Test DirectX 11 at 1080p. The test runs continuously for 20 loops without pausing or reloading between loops, and you need at least a 97% to be passable. The Game PC passed the Fire Strike Test with a 98.7% Frame Rate Stability, and the 1070's temps went from 41c to 61c. The Stream PC passed the Fire Strike Stress Test with a 98.7% Frame Rate Stability, but the 1080TI was showing temperatures from 60c all the way to 79c. Again, when the 1080TI was hooked up to the Game PC, the PC crashed often, even when I attempted to do the same stability testing. The 1070 in the Stream PC or Game PC has absolutely no issues. The only time I'm seeing the crashes, is when the 1080TI is hooked up to the Game PC.   

kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: PC Restarts in Games, Possible Hardware Issue 2020/11/28 22:50:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby DabHandJones 2020/11/30 04:34:23
Your post is a little ambiguous, did you put the 1080 Ti back into the Game PC and get crashes again, or not yet? 

If you get PC restarts but don't see a BSoD then it's almost always a hardware cause somewhere. Could be something as simple as the GPU wasn't fully inserted into the slot or a power cable not making full contact, a case short, or it could be a bad PSU. 

I'd suggest you concurrently run Prime95 Blend and OCCT's GPU test for an hour on both rigs, see if either one detects errors or triggers a crash. Then to narrow it down I'd put the 1080 Ti back into the Game PC and repeat the process. Make sure you're watching CPU+GPU temps. 

Have water, will cool. 
DabHandJones
Re: PC Restarts in Games, Possible Hardware Issue 2020/11/30 06:42:23 (permalink)
kougar
Your post is a little ambiguous, did you put the 1080 Ti back into the Game PC and get crashes again, or not yet? 

If you get PC restarts but don't see a BSoD then it's almost always a hardware cause somewhere. Could be something as simple as the GPU wasn't fully inserted into the slot or a power cable not making full contact, a case short, or it could be a bad PSU. 

I'd suggest you concurrently run Prime95 Blend and OCCT's GPU test for an hour on both rigs, see if either one detects errors or triggers a crash. Then to narrow it down I'd put the 1080 Ti back into the Game PC and repeat the process. Make sure you're watching CPU+GPU temps. 

So I attempted to run Prime95's Blend and OCCT's GPU test for an hour on both pc's. I also checked to make sure the GPUs were fully inserted, cables making full contact, ect., and I think everything checked out.

The stream pc ran both tests for the full hour with no issues with the 1080ti hooked up to it.

The game pc ran the Prime95 Blend for almost a half an hour, before the pc crashed and restarted twice in a row. The game pc also crashed and restarted during the OCCT GPU test a little over 10 minutes into the run. I also attempted to run OCCT's Power test on the game pc, and the pc crashed and restarted very shortly after I started the run (The pc actually boot looped a few times in a row before staying at the desktop). The 1070 was in the game pc during these tests.

Later today I will swap the GPUs back into their intended PC's and do the same tests. If the game pc is still the only one crashing and restarting, I would think its starting to look like a power issue.

post edited by DabHandJones - 2020/11/30 06:45:20
aka_STEVE_b
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 17692
  • Ribbons : 69
Re: PC Restarts in Games, Possible Hardware Issue 2020/11/30 10:23:21 (permalink)
The symptom you describe is almost always one of these two things ( or both ) ;

psu overload - it's too weak, too old , just can't handle the power load when the video card & cpu demand more power when ramping up to game.  
- or -
cpu overheat protection - motherboard/ cpu recognizes an overheat from the sensors and goes into immediate thermal shutdown.

Solutions - get a bigger, newer PSU  &  double check the TIM paste  on your cpu cooler & the tightness/ fit of the watercooler block to it.

Good luck 

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
STR1D3R_2
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1431
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: PC Restarts in Games, Possible Hardware Issue 2020/11/30 12:48:04 (permalink)
aka_STEVE_b
psu overload - it's too weak, too old , just can't handle the power load when the video card & cpu demand more power when ramping up to game. 

Last time I had to track this down it turned out to be as simple as one of my PSU cables on a modular unit. Swapped out the oddball and it stopped. I had forgotten that I borrowed a few cables from a different power supply, the pins were not the same thickness(? maybe)

Affiliate code E1HEL4HYPS
DabHandJones
Re: PC Restarts in Games, Possible Hardware Issue 2020/11/30 23:57:19 (permalink)
I swapped the GPUs back, so the 1080TI is in the Game PC, and the 1070 is in the Stream PC. I also made sure the water block for the AIO was tightly connected to the CPU, and it is.  I ran the same tests I did when the cards were swapped. 

On the Stream PC:
- Prime95 Blend ran for one hour with no issues. 
- OCCT's GPU Test ran for one hour with no issues.
- OCCT's Power Test ran for one hour with no issues.
- Temperatures while under full load were stabilizing at around 59c for the GPU, and 60c for the cpu.

On the Game PC:
- Prime95 ran for one hour with no issues (This was actually surprising to me).
- OCCT's GPU Test crashed and restarted the pc about ten minutes into the run.
- OCCT's Power Test crashed and restarted the pc pretty much immediately after starting the run.
- Temperatures while under full load were stabilizing at around 65c for the GPU, and 60c for the cpu. (The only time I could really watch temps was during the Prime95 Blend Run)

STR1D3R_2
aka_STEVE_b

Last time I had to track this down it turned out to be as simple as one of my PSU cables on a modular unit. Swapped out the oddball and it stopped. I had forgotten that I borrowed a few cables from a different power supply, the pins were not the same thickness(? maybe)

I do actually have Cable Mods sleeve extensions for my GPU Cables and Motherboard cable. I actually unhooked them and just used the original cables that go with the PSU, and the crashes still happened from the same tests. I took the time to make sure all of the cables were connected securely.

So to me it's looking like the EVGA SuperNova 850P2 80+ Platinum 850watt is the culprit. I guess I should look into another power supply. Any recommendations for the Gaming PC?

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10103
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: PC Restarts in Games, Possible Hardware Issue 2020/12/01 02:54:03 (permalink)
You could always swap the PSU for testing and as long as the 850W P2 is still under warranty you could RMA it. Normally with a PSU like that if it's out of warranty it's probably a good time to replace anyway since it's been over 10 years.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: PC Restarts in Games, Possible Hardware Issue 2020/12/01 12:46:04 (permalink)
Definitely a psu issue imo.
DabHandJones
Re: PC Restarts in Games, Possible Hardware Issue 2020/12/01 15:29:29 (permalink)
I made a ticket for the PSU through EVGA since it is still covered by the 10 year warranty. Hoping they'll get the RMA process started.

I'll come back here and let you guys know if the issue is fixed when I swap PSUs.
kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: PC Restarts in Games, Possible Hardware Issue 2020/12/01 21:49:06 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby DabHandJones 2020/12/24 15:34:19
Aye, you've ruled out the GPU and a few other things, so it really does sound like the PSU is defective. There's no way an 850watt platinum PSU would have trouble powering that hardware if it was working normally. If the problems go away after switching PSUs between systems then that pretty much confirms it. 

Have water, will cool. 
DabHandJones
Re: PC Restarts in Games, Possible Hardware Issue 2020/12/02 06:25:55 (permalink)
kougar
Aye, you've ruled out the GPU and a few other things, so it really does sound like the PSU is defective. There's no way an 850watt platinum PSU would have trouble powering that hardware if it was working normally. If the problems go away after switching PSUs between systems then that pretty much confirms it. 

I just swapped the PSUs and there are now no crashes anymore during the stress tests on the Game PC. Its gotta be the PSU. I've already opened a ticket on it, and am waiting on the okay from EVGA to RMA it. I'll let you all know how it goes, thank you for the help! 
kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: PC Restarts in Games, Possible Hardware Issue 2020/12/03 00:35:51 (permalink)
Glad you were able to confirm it! I know it seems like a lot of hassle just to RMA, but it's good to be absolutely sure the hardware is bad before going through with an RMA. Hopefully EVGA can get ya squared away quickly!

Have water, will cool. 
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile