Helpful ReplyOfficial EVGA GTX 780 Classified Thread

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 33 of 38
Author
pathfindercod
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 462
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/09 12:21:37 (permalink)
Thanks for the update on the backplates.  Im debating now if I want them for my two new 780 classes. Im air cooling, when i added them to my 680 classys my temps actually went up about 5 degrees.
EVGA_JWhite
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/09 12:50:42 (permalink)
pathfindercod
Thanks for the update on the backplates.  Im debating now if I want them for my two new 780 classes. Im air cooling, when i added them to my 680 classys my temps actually went up about 5 degrees.

No problem,

I hate being the "canned answer" guy, but as always, your mileage may vary when it comes to cooling with the backplates. Everyone's chassis airflow setup is different, so the addition of the backplate can have a varying effect on cooling.

Jacob White
Field Sales Engineer
EVGA
1-714-528-4500 x177
jwhite@evga.com
eduncan911
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 805
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/09 18:52:05 (permalink)
sublimeandetc
As far as the newly announced HDMI 2.0 goes on the GTX 780 Classified... it's looking like it will just be a simple firmware update, but can anyone confirm this?  I will be purchasing a 4K TV soon and want to know if my SLI 780s will be able to provide a 120Hz signal (60fps... right?) for the TV over HDMI, because I know the 1.4 spec capped out at 60Hz. (30fps?)  I know Display Port can already provide the necessary bandwidth, but that would basically limit my TV options to one.

I'd like to know this as well (the classys getting a firmware update to support HDMI 2.0).

Besides that, I run an 120 Hz tri-monitor setup here with HDMI and Dual-Link DVI inputs.  The HDMI inputs only allow 60 Hz.  I run DVI x3 to each display for 120 Hz support.  I can manually force the HDMI out's frequency to 120 Hz, but my monitors displays and error saying something like it doesn't support that frequency over HDMI and to switch to DVI (see sig for type).

In addition, I have a Panasonic Plasma 240 Hz that I've tried a bit to support.  It only has HDMI inputs (no display port and no DVI).  So how in the heck can it support 120 Hz?  Let alone 240 hz 3D? I have yet to drag my big-ass rig downstairs to connect to the plasma to test/force 120 hz output over HDMI.  But I may try that when the classy's arrive next week.

sublimeandetcEDIT: Also, would using a Display Port to HDMI adapter work to transmit the 120Hz signal?  That way I can use any TV with HDMI 2.0 and just convert out of the Display Port on my 780.

When I played with these adapters, Windows saw them all as 60 Hz regardless.  You can force it up to 120 Hz though in your Monitor Properties.  On that tab, "Monitor", when it is showing the dropdown for the screen refresh rate, Uncheck the box that says "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display."

Sometimes I have to go in and select a different monitor driver before they show up.  Alternatively, there are monitor INF files out there that let you have the full range of frequencies.  

-=[ MODSRIGS :: FOR-SALE :: HEAT :: EBAY :: EVGA AFFILIATE CODE - HUVCIK9P42 :: TING ]=-

Dell XPS 730X Modified H2C Hybrid TEC Chassis

:: Asrock Tachi X399, 2950x, 64 GB ECC @ 2667
:: 2x AMD VEGA 64 Reference
:: 3x 24" 120 Hz for 3D Vision Surround (6000x1080 @ 120 Hz)

Thinkpad P1 Gen1
:: Xeon E-2176M, 32 GB ECC @ 2667, 9 Hrs w/4K, tri-monitor 5760x1080

100% AMD and Linux household with 10 Gbps to laptop and desktops

sublimeandetc
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/09 19:04:56 (permalink)
eduncan911
sublimeandetc
As far as the newly announced HDMI 2.0 goes on the GTX 780 Classified... it's looking like it will just be a simple firmware update, but can anyone confirm this?  I will be purchasing a 4K TV soon and want to know if my SLI 780s will be able to provide a 120Hz signal (60fps... right?) for the TV over HDMI, because I know the 1.4 spec capped out at 60Hz. (30fps?)  I know Display Port can already provide the necessary bandwidth, but that would basically limit my TV options to one.

I'd like to know this as well (the classys getting a firmware update to support HDMI 2.0).

Besides that, I run an 120 Hz tri-monitor setup here with HDMI and Dual-Link DVI inputs.  The HDMI inputs only allow 60 Hz.  I run DVI x3 to each display for 120 Hz support.  I can manually force the HDMI out's frequency to 120 Hz, but my monitors displays and error saying something like it doesn't support that frequency over HDMI and to switch to DVI (see sig for type).

In addition, I have a Panasonic Plasma 240 Hz that I've tried a bit to support.  It only has HDMI inputs (no display port and no DVI).  So how in the heck can it support 120 Hz?  Let alone 240 hz 3D? I have yet to drag my big-ass rig downstairs to connect to the plasma to test/force 120 hz output over HDMI.  But I may try that when the classy's arrive next week.

sublimeandetcEDIT: Also, would using a Display Port to HDMI adapter work to transmit the 120Hz signal?  That way I can use any TV with HDMI 2.0 and just convert out of the Display Port on my 780.

When I played with these adapters, Windows saw them all as 60 Hz regardless.  You can force it up to 120 Hz though in your Monitor Properties.  On that tab, "Monitor", when it is showing the dropdown for the screen refresh rate, Uncheck the box that says "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display."

Sometimes I have to go in and select a different monitor driver before they show up.  Alternatively, there are monitor INF files out there that let you have the full range of frequencies.  

I'm assuming the options in Windows show as 60Hz regardless, because of HDMI 1.4 limitations, but I'm curious as to how it will respond to a true HDMI 2.0 input, which will not have that default limitation, even if it is Display Port to HDMI 2.0.  

If anyone from EVGA could weigh in on my original question it would be great.  Will the Classifieds receive a HDMI 2.0 bump, or will I have to use Display Port for my 4K gaming needs?  This is going to be a big factor in which 4K TV I buy.  (Sony 65" vs the new 65" Panasonic coming out with a build in Display Port connection)
eduncan911
SSC Member
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/09 19:08:00 (permalink)
crezno
Also, if you OC, like im know you are more than likely going to, the top card is going to get very hot and may throttle (or quickly become unstable especially over 1400Mhz) if you are planning on staying with air. ACX design isnt the best for SLI.

Here's where a BTX-hybrid chassis may help.  BTX styles "flips" everything onto the right side of the case - putting the CPU at the lowest place for the coolest air.  A "BTX-Hybrid" chassis means it uses normal ATX parts, just flipped around.  This also flips the cards to where the "fans" pull from top down.

Here's a pic of one of my spare rigs:

You can see that the video card is mounted differently.

So, my theory may be:
  • The bottom-card exhausts hot air from the top and bottom.  The bottom portion, where it exhausts down into the motherboard, gets recycled right back into the intake (if the 5000 RPM PCI Cage fan doesn't it out first - there are two hiding under those two big covers on the left - thermally controlled per the motherboard's ambient temp).
  • The top card does not get the heat exhausted from the bottom card, because it is facing upwards - pulling in air from the top chamber (again the PCI cage fan blowing pretty hard to exhaust any heat inbetween the cards).
Will be interesting to see. The classys arrive next week.

-=[ MODSRIGS :: FOR-SALE :: HEAT :: EBAY :: EVGA AFFILIATE CODE - HUVCIK9P42 :: TING ]=-

Thinkpad P1 Gen1

EVGA_JWhite
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/10 09:52:43 (permalink)
eduncan911
sublimeandetc

Confirmed with Jacob that this will not be supported. Your HDMi connector will be capped at 60Hz.

I can tell you from recent research that the DisplayPort adapters won't do the job either (as per NVIDIA). If you want 120Hz, you have to use DVI at this time. I'll let everyone know when I hear differently, but for the time being, we recommend DVI.

Jacob White
Field Sales Engineer
EVGA
1-714-528-4500 x177
jwhite@evga.com
Zoeff
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/10 19:26:40 (permalink)
Looks like the 780 classy backplate is listed as available in the EU store as well now. But the block now isn't, and I'm pretty sure I saw it in stock less than a week ago.

I've never seen both the block and backplate in stock at the same time, at least in the EU store. Shouldn't they just come in a set? From what I've seen, a full cover block will bend the card quite a bit if you aren't supporting it with a backplate.

--Zoeff
Veijari
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/11 08:31:24 (permalink)
I got new card from RMA but where is this card serial number sticker? I can't find that anywhere in card or is there same serial number what I have on old card?
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/11 08:42:38 (permalink)
serial number is on top, dark, mine is exactly near rubber for protection SLI connector.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

EVGA_JWhite
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/11 09:10:36 (permalink)
Zoeff
Looks like the 780 classy backplate is listed as available in the EU store as well now. But the block now isn't, and I'm pretty sure I saw it in stock less than a week ago.

I've never seen both the block and backplate in stock at the same time, at least in the EU store. Shouldn't they just come in a set? From what I've seen, a full cover block will bend the card quite a bit if you aren't supporting it with a backplate.

Hey Zeoff,

The block and backplate are manufactured in two different processes with different lead times. Getting manufacturing to build and deliver these products in the exact same schedule is difficult, but I'll pass the suggestion up to product management to see if we can make it work.

Jacob White
Field Sales Engineer
EVGA
1-714-528-4500 x177
jwhite@evga.com
Zoeff
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/11 09:33:36 (permalink)
EVGA_JWhite
Zoeff

Hey Zeoff,

The block and backplate are manufactured in two different processes with different lead times. Getting manufacturing to build and deliver these products in the exact same schedule is difficult, but I'll pass the suggestion up to product management to see if we can make it work.

Alright, fair enough. :)

It was actually one of the deciding factors in my decision to wait for EK's block, as ordering one and waiting for the other could potentially mean waiting months for the complete set while EK releases theirs.

--Zoeff
eduncan911
SSC Member
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/11 10:07:39 (permalink)
EVGA_JWhite
eduncan911
sublimeandetc

Confirmed with Jacob that this will not be supported. Your HDMi connector will be capped at 60Hz.

I can tell you from recent research that the DisplayPort adapters won't do the job either (as per NVIDIA). If you want 120Hz, you have to use DVI at this time. I'll let everyone know when I hear differently, but for the time being, we recommend DVI.

Thanks man!

(not a rant against EVGA, but towards the industry as a whole.  EVGA is awesome!)

Then why in the hell is the industry forcing us to DisplayPorts, Mini-DisplayPorts (thank you Apple ), etc - away from DVI?  

I am so glad I've been sticking to Dual-Link DVI all of these years.  "But man, DisplayPort is the future.  (few years later) ThunderBolt is the future!"  

Screw that.  I'm holding onto my D-DVI for ever!

Thinkpad P1 Gen1

eduncan911
SSC Member
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/11 12:17:33 (permalink)
Well, I found out how 120Hz/240Hz TVs work with 3D Blu-Ray:

http://hdguru.com/3d-hdtv-and-hdmi-explained/1336/

I've been wanting to know that for years since I got my 240 hz 3D plasma that only had HDMI 1.4 inputs.  Kind of lame, but that's how they get 3D over HDMI: 1920x2025 @ 24Hz, which HDMI can easily support.

EDIT: What would HDMI 2.0 be used for?  The new 4k resolution monitors?
post edited by eduncan911 - 2013/10/11 12:46:12

Thinkpad P1 Gen1

Veijari
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/11 13:48:16 (permalink)
Vlada011
serial number is on top, dark, mine is exactly near rubber for protection SLI connector.

But there was nothing like sticker? Or I am remembering wrong?
Edit. I found it.
post edited by Veijari - 2013/10/11 14:47:10
sublimeandetc
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/11 15:22:37 (permalink)
eduncan911
Well, I found out how 120Hz/240Hz TVs work with 3D Blu-Ray:

I've been wanting to know that for years since I got my 240 hz 3D plasma that only had HDMI 1.4 inputs.  Kind of lame, but that's how they get 3D over HDMI: 1920x2025 @ 24Hz, which HDMI can easily support.

EDIT: What would HDMI 2.0 be used for?  The new 4k resolution monitors?

Exactly.  HDMI 1.4 actually supports 4K, but only at 30Hz.  This is fine for some games, but for others that refresh rate actually affects your ability to play at a higher level.  HDMI 2.0 will support 4K at 60Hz, which Display Port is already capable of doing.  I don't know of any 4K TVs with DVI ports, but Panasonic is releasing one in about a week that does have a Display Port, so I guess my options are constricted to one if I want to do any 4K gaming... :(  It's a shame, because that 65" 4K Sony with the nice speakers on the side was the 4K TV I actually wanted.  

Because HDMI 2.0 and Display Port both support 4K at 60Hz, I was hoping I could go from my HDMI 2.0 TV to my GTX 780 Classified and just use an adapter to hook into the Display Port on my graphics card and maintain the 60Hz connection.  Unfortunately, this does not appear to be possible, based on what the moderator here just said...  It kinda sucks that I'm now forced to buy a 4K TV that has Display Port, especially considering the fact that there is literally ONE option in the size I want.
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/11 18:42:03 (permalink)
Yes he must be on top, mine PN number is on good place, maybe I even don't need to remove him when Install backplate.
Only sticker with BIOS number maybe I need to remove little but probably not.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

pathfindercod
iCX Member
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/14 10:41:53 (permalink)
Jacob, any word on the plates? I think im getting them and then some other water cooling fun stuff...
BGKris
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 839
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/14 11:28:06 (permalink)
Does anyone have the stock bios (80.10.3A.00.82) by any chance? I'm looking to reflash back to stock. 

i7 4770K @ 4.7ghz v1.37 delid
ASUS Maximus VI Hero 
EVGA 780 Ti Classified SLI - EK-FC780  
G.SKILL Trident X 16GB 2400
MCP35X - RX480/240 - EK Sumpreme HF/Mosfet M6G
800D

eduncan911
SSC Member
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/14 12:47:36 (permalink)
BGKris
Does anyone have the stock bios (80.10.3A.00.82) by any chance? I'm looking to reflash back to stock. 

First post: http://www.overclock.net/t/1411500/official-evga-classified-owners-club

Thinkpad P1 Gen1

BGKris
SSC Member
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/14 12:55:18 (permalink)
eduncan911
BGKris

First post: http://www.overclock.net/t/1411500/official-evga-classified-owners-club

I believe that is from the first batch of cards. I'm looking for .82
I'm sure it doesn't matter but it's my ocd hah

ASUS Maximus VI Hero 
800D

BGKris
SSC Member
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/14 12:56:47 (permalink)

ASUS Maximus VI Hero 
800D

pathfindercod
iCX Member
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/14 13:58:18 (permalink)
Wowhoo, backplates in and ordered.
BGKris
SSC Member
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/14 13:59:29 (permalink)
pathfindercod
Wowhoo, backplates in and ordered.

+1 

ASUS Maximus VI Hero 
800D

eduncan911
SSC Member
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/14 16:22:26 (permalink)
BGKris
I answered my own question
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/143542/evga-gtx780-3072-130723.html

Cool, yeah I'd trust techpowerup more as well.  Good fine.

Humm, there were multiple BIOS files?  Do you know what the differences were?

Thinkpad P1 Gen1

BGKris
SSC Member
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/14 16:25:48 (permalink)
eduncan911
BGKris
I answered my own question
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/143542/evga-gtx780-3072-130723.html

Cool, yeah I'd trust techpowerup more as well.  Good fine.

Humm, there were multiple BIOS files?  Do you know what the differences were?

Thanks. Honestly, I have no clue.

ASUS Maximus VI Hero 
800D

SUPACASEY
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/14 22:26:25 (permalink)
Would you guys say it's necessary to flush 780 Hydro Classy's before installation like you do with new radiators?

loveha
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10497
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/14 22:30:29 (permalink)
SUPACASEY
Would you guys say it's necessary to flush 780 Hydro Classy's before installation like you do with new radiators?

No, they are pretty clean on the inside do to the platting.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
SUPACASEY
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/15 01:32:12 (permalink)
"Pretty clean" still sounds like a gray area I'd rather avoid.

eduncan911
SSC Member
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/15 08:24:16 (permalink)
Better safe than sorry.  Flush them with full-pressure from a water hose outside for several minutes, both directions.  Then I usually setup the entire system outside of the case near a sink, a bucket with a gallon of distilled water and a cap-full of vinegar, and run the entire gallon through the system and down the drain.  You need to make sure to kill any microbes that may come from the water-hose outside.

Else, you'd get something like this:

/lessons-learned

Thinkpad P1 Gen1

SUPACASEY
Re: EVBOT vs Classified_voltage 2013/10/15 15:23:56 (permalink)
yeah I'm not taking a hose to it either lol.

I think I'll just swish some distilled in them and see what comes out.

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 33 of 38
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile