Nvidia starts boosting frame rates by up to 10 percent on 30-series GPUs

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2021/02/27 00:46:18 (permalink)
Nvidia starts boosting frame rates by up to 10 percent on 30-series GPUs - The Verge

Nvidia has started to roll out support for Resizable BAR, a feature of PCI Express that can boost frame rates in certain games by up to 10 percent. The new RTX 3060 graphics card is the first to include Resizable BAR, which allows certain CPUs to access the full graphics frame buffer, instead of being limited to reading just 256MB blocks. Support for other 30-series GPUs will be available in late March.

You’ll need the right CPU, motherboard, and graphics card to utilize this new feature, and Nvidia is working with both AMD and Intel to provide chipset support. AMD’s Zen 3 CPUs are supported, alongside Intel’s 10th Gen processors and the company’s upcoming 11th Gen S chips.

Much like AMD’s Smart Access Memory, Resizable BAR on Nvidia GPUs can boost frame rates in certain games by up to 10 percent. The boost is really game dependent, and resolution can also impact how much performance will increase. “In our testing, we’ve found some titles benefit from a few percent, up to 10 percent,” says Nvidia. “However, there are also titles that see a decrease in performance.”

Nvidia is pre-testing titles and using special game profiles to enable Resizable BAR only where the performance increases. The following games are currently supported:

Assassin’s Creed ValhallaBattlefield VBorderlands 3Forza Horizon 4Gears 5Metro ExodusRed Dead Redemption 2Watch Dogs: Legion
Additional games will be supported in late March, when Nvidia launches VIOS updates for the rest of its 30-series GPUs. Nvidia will supply VBIOS updates for all Founders Edition 30-series cards, and board partners will also release their own updates. You’ll also need a motherboard update that includes the necessary CPU support, and Nvidia says Asus, Asrock, Colorful, Evga, Gigabyte, and MSI have all started supporting Resizable BAR on select motherboards.

Resizable BAR support on the AMD side has been tested widely, and TechSpot found that some games making use of Smart Access Memory could see nearly a 20 percent boost at 1440p and 4K.

I think this is fantastic and worth waiting for. Now if only there was 30xx series stock available. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

8 Replies Related Threads

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Nvidia starts boosting frame rates by up to 10 percent on 30-series GPUs 2021/02/27 10:57:59 (permalink)
    yeah , I'll just copy / paste my post from the other thread   -https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3229799

Everyone seems to be chasing this for some grand old awesomeness.... but the actual specifics of how many things have to be updated in order for it to all work is beyond laughable.

I wish it would all get worked out & be great sooner than later , but I'm not counting on it.

A) cpu has to be the right ones....
    B) the motherboard chipset then needs to be BIOS'd properly with it...
    C) the videocard needs a new Vbios allowing it to operate/ function...
    D) & the videocard driver also needs to have it put in ...
    ....and then if all that happens , the game has to support it also .

Here is the list of games so far ;

GeForce RTX 30 Series Resizable BAR Supported Games
    As of February 25th, 2021
    Assassin's Creed Valhalla
    Battlefield V
    Borderlands 3
    Forza Horizon 4
    Gears 5
    Metro Exodus
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    Watch Dogs: Legion

.and here is my favorite quote right from Nvidia -

Much like AMD’s Smart Access Memory, Resizable BAR on Nvidia GPUs can boost frame rates in certain games by up to 10 percent. The boost is really game dependent, and resolution can also impact how much performance will increase. “In our testing, we’ve found some titles benefit from a few percent, up to 10 percent,” says Nvidia. “However, there are also titles that see a decrease in performance

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Nvidia starts boosting frame rates by up to 10 percent on 30-series GPUs 2021/02/27 11:35:45 (permalink)
    lol....hilarious and typical sale pitch tactic.

why should people be excited of a performance gain from a hardware not available to buy? I mean, reading this is like twisting the knife to he buying hand of consumers who are still waiting since last year to buy/get one GPU?
    Seriously, Nvidia/AMD/Intel think scalpers are helping the economy? You know they are stopping the flow of spending/money of consumers, by holding at random something that could be easily be bought in any part of the world.
    I am leaning towards buying prebuild and this is another reason why i should do that. 

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Nvidia starts boosting frame rates by up to 10 percent on 30-series GPUs 2021/02/27 12:51:02 (permalink)
    atfrico

why should people be excited of a performance gain from a hardware not available to buy? I mean, reading this is like twisting the knife to he buying hand of consumers who are still waiting since last year to buy/get one GPU?
    Seriously, Nvidia/AMD/Intel think scalpers are helping the economy? You know they are stopping the flow of spending/money of consumers, by holding at random something that could be easily be bought in any part of the world.
    I am leaning towards buying prebuild and this is another reason why i should do that. 

Right now all major chips are hard to buy. Even the automotive industry has a low supply of chips. I am hoping that after the 1st quarter supplies will begin to improve. Keep in mind that AMD is in the same situation. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

529th
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 622
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Nvidia starts boosting frame rates by up to 10 percent on 30-series GPUs 2021/02/27 17:00:11 (permalink)
    So this is with the latest hardware I assume e.g. X570 + 5k series AMD chips, and the Intel equivalent?

What I'm wondering is if an AMD card can be used in an Intel system and use the Resize bar, and vice versa AMD system with a Nvidia card. 

Some people with AMD systems use GSYNC monitors and that would be an issue if the feature was locked to specific hardware.
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Nvidia starts boosting frame rates by up to 10 percent on 30-series GPUs 2021/02/27 17:20:31 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    atfrico

Right now all major chips are hard to buy. Even the automotive industry has a low supply of chips. I am hoping that after the 1st quarter supplies will begin to improve. Keep in mind that AMD is in the same situation. 

I agree, but it is not hard to catch/track the bots/scalpers. Can you start by looking the name/shipping address and the multiple traffic of shipped items going to one address? This is all a scheme.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Nvidia starts boosting frame rates by up to 10 percent on 30-series GPUs 2021/02/27 17:31:19 (permalink)
    scalpers wouldn't be a problem if they had production
    there would be an oversupply of GPU's and they wouldn't be able to sell their cards at increased pricing (they actually lose money)
    it's not the bitcoin mining thats the problem - its the Fab side and production of Silicon that is the problem

it exasterbated by having oligopolies that try to maximize ROI for investors rather than produce silicon to compete against each other

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Nvidia starts boosting frame rates by up to 10 percent on 30-series GPUs 2021/02/28 03:45:06 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    yeah , I'll just copy / paste my post from the other thread   -https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3229799

Everyone seems to be chasing this for some grand old awesomeness.... but the actual specifics of how many things have to be updated in order for it to all work is beyond laughable.

I wish it would all get worked out & be great sooner than later , but I'm not counting on it.

A) cpu has to be the right ones....
    B) the motherboard chipset then needs to be BIOS'd properly with it...
    C) the videocard needs a new Vbios allowing it to operate/ function...
    D) & the videocard driver also needs to have it put in ...
    ....and then if all that happens , the game has to support it also .

Here is the list of games so far ;

GeForce RTX 30 Series Resizable BAR Supported Games
    As of February 25th, 2021
    Assassin's Creed Valhalla
    Battlefield V
    Borderlands 3
    Forza Horizon 4
    Gears 5
    Metro Exodus
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    Watch Dogs: Legion

.and here is my favorite quote right from Nvidia -

Much like AMD’s Smart Access Memory, Resizable BAR on Nvidia GPUs can boost frame rates in certain games by up to 10 percent. The boost is really game dependent, and resolution can also impact how much performance will increase. “In our testing, we’ve found some titles benefit from a few percent, up to 10 percent,” says Nvidia. “However, there are also titles that see a decrease in performance

Thanks for your post

z999z3mystorys
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4480
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: Nvidia starts boosting frame rates by up to 10 percent on 30-series GPUs 2021/02/28 04:06:43 (permalink)
    my guess is that the problems with re-sizeable bar is largely because it's "new tech" (though in this case "new tech" meaning old tech no one bothered with til now) and should get better as time goes on and more support is offered.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile