EVGA

New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup

Author
seeker7125
  • Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2013/01/15 09:15:18 (permalink)
Welcome to my rig in-progress: The Carious Legion!
So I'm new to the EVGA forums! I had formally kept my rig builds to myself because I built them more for fun, less for bench-marking and showing off . A little intro: I'm a dental student studying in Detroit, USA and living in Canada. I am a big fan of water-cooling and voiding warranties for the sake of pushing limits (when I have the cash to fix the problems that ensue hahaha). My parents are engineers so I've always liked tinkering, and my hands-on work with computers had a large impact on my choice of future career. I've made several water-cooled units in the past, usually very EVGA heavy in parts, so I figure why not post my next one here! 
The current build in progress is The Carious Legion, a play on the term "carious lesion" (aka. A tooth cavity). 
The plans for it are still ever-changing, but the goal is essentially a quad SLI unit that has everything that is worth cooling under water. Whether or not I will use two loops or one is a topic of discussion amongst some peers, and I'm still deciding on that. I'll be using a dual loop system, one for GPU, and one for CPU/MOSFET/etc.
The Expected System Specifications:
- ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6G
- Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Hexa-Core
- Corsair Dominator 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 2133 MHz
- (4x) GeForce GTX 680 Classified 4 GB DDR5
- CoolerMaster Cosmos II (Corsair 900D pre-ordered as replacement)
- Corsair Neutron Series GTX 240GB (6Gb/s) SATA 3 (OS Drive)
- Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB 64 MB Cache, 7200 RPM (Storage Drive)
- EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified Power Supply
- (2x) ASUS PB Series PB238QR 23-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor
- Razer DeathStalker Ultimate with Switchblade UI
- Razer Ouroboros Gaming Mouse

The Expected System Cooling Set-up
- All Bitspower compression fittings, barbs, angles, etc.
- 2x Dual D5 Vario pumps with Bitspower casing, connected with a Bitspower Dual D5 bridge.
- Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM case fans.
- XSPC Raystorm LGA 2011 CPU Block
- 2x XSPC 120mm high density quad rad.
- XSPC 120mm high density triple rad.
- XSPC 120mm thick dual rad.
- The Feser Company 120mm thick quad rad.
- XSPC Black tubing (for now). Some Primochill Advanced tubing, clear.
- XSPC Dual bay Reservoir (also, for now). 2x AquaComputer Dual bay Reservoir.
- 2x BitsPower 150 Tube Reservoir.
- (4x) EVGA Classified GTX 680 HydroCopper Blocks (still frustratingly looking for these... found some).
- EK Mosfet Block for ASUS Rampage IV Extreme (purchased; install pending GPU blocks).
- IceDragonCooling Nano Fluid (filling pending final loop build Corsair 900D).

The build is all new parts, sparing my former build (Darkest Seeker) from being scrapped; it was handed down to my younger brother. Lucky guy!

Progress to date: 
- Modify case to allow routing of tubing in an 'out of sight' manner (messy).
- Modify case for drain and fill-port.
- Remove unnecessary pieces and wiring from case.
- Obtain/Sleeve Cables that are not already so.
- Install hardware to test system parts.
- Sloppy overclock to test capacity and down-clocking of the rig.
- Install CPU Waterblock unit and loop.
- Load Custom BIOS to OC Bios of GPUs.
- Install GPU Waterblocks and loop OR integrate loops to one.
- Install Mosfet Waterblocks and add to CPU loop/system loop.
- Finalize water-cooling unit and 24Hr leak test.
- Solder EVGA Bot headers to GPU (still deciding on this since it will void warranty).
- Establish and optimize overclock on CPU/GPU for both performance AND stability.
- (Optional) Migrate to new case, Corsair Obsidian 900D.
- (Optional) Install better water-cooling reservoirs.
- (Optional) Setup unit in 'Minimalist' theme, and hide piping and wiring.

Here's a few progress photos for now. Much more to come!

I am not sponsored, it's all out of pocket, but I feel worth saying a special thanks to Dazmode for being my Canadian supplier of water-cooling parts throughout this and previous builds. Your comments, suggestions, and critique are appreciated! Stay tuned for more! 

If you like my rig, please consider taking a few seconds to give me +1 on the my Mods Rigs page! Thanks! 

post edited by seeker7125 - 2013/01/22 09:43:44

25 Replies Related Threads

sgtharry
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3930
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/15 09:27:42 (permalink)

What a beautiful rig! Awesome job, and a +1 for you.

My Affiliate Code: JQ2TUWM6Y9 

+1 my Rig if you like it

seeker7125
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/15 19:36:42 (permalink)
    Slow progress!
    As usual, I took to finding myself something to do while I wait for EVGA to get their stuff together and get those EVGA Classified water-blocks back in stock. In typical tweaking manner, I decided to play around with the multiple BIOS feature of the cards.

I kept the BIOs untouched for the standard toggle on each card, and also left the LN2 BIOs alone (for now). I have made some minor changes to the OC toggle BIOs so that I can unlock full fan speed (need it till blocks are released) and a higher possible overclock and voltage. Obviously it's not fool-proof, and doesn't rid that annoying NVIDIA "we don't want this generation card beating our new gen" issue with the down-throttling, but with the right temperature and tweaking these are working rather well and very stably.

I re-ran my tests with better cooling and was able to pull a few hundred more points out of 3DMark 11. Sadly, I can already tell some of these GPUs are winners, and others not so much - at least as overclocking is concerned. That should level out once their all under water, but for now max fan speed will have to do.

So I find myself at another stand-still, distracting myself with other hobbies till the blocks are available (such as collecting expensive things; see picture above). I have an order on standby from my Canadian watercooling parts supplier, and I'm eager to push that button and finalize the sale. As well, I'm keeping my eye out for when Obsidian 900D's will be available on the market as I believe it will be my mod-case to move this build into and integrate a few more quad rads. That's it for now sadly! Hopefully, if I go down that dark path, I can show a bit of soldering work in the near future. Till then, thanks for reading! 

New 3DMarks 11 Score: 27,346
    (Hopefully better to come once I optimize the CPU overclocking).

post edited by seeker7125 - 2013/01/25 23:27:11
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/15 19:39:39 (permalink)

Looks really nice. Good work there.     

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    drake187
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 372
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/15 20:11:24 (permalink)
    ... Wow nice build

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102494
    • Ribbons : 85
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/16 04:24:57 (permalink)
    Quite awesome I must say!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5183
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/16 05:41:50 (permalink)
    Good looking build. I hope that the 900D comes out soon. I'm really looking forward to seeing some builds done in them.

DowningX
    • Total Posts : 7
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/16 07:35:50 (permalink)
    Wow. I always said I would never use black tubing because it would look pretty bare but it looks great. I'm not setting up a loop until I can get my hands on the 680 waterblock but I may get black tubing after looking here. Good job man.

w4ss4b3
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4560
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/16 14:42:17 (permalink)
    Man this rig is awesome. Great work. 

buggyruth
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1080
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/16 17:50:14 (permalink)
    WOW!!!

+1 If you like my Mods-Rig
    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=78759
    COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 / EVGA Z77-FTW / Intel I7-3770K  / 2 X Corsair Force Series GT 240GB. SSD Raid-0 / Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX / G.SKILL Trident X Series F3-2400C10D-16GTX  / 2 X EVGA GeForce GTX 670-FTW+4GB. (04G-P4-3673-KR) with EK GeForce 680 GTX VGA Liquid Cooling Blocks - Acetal CSQ (EK-FC680 GTX - Acetal CSQ) / Swiftech Maelstrom 51/4" dual bay reservoir with dual MCP35X pumps / RayStorm CPU WaterBlock (Intel) Copper / XSPC RX360 Rad  & XSPC EX140
    blood4guts
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 419
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/16 20:32:06 (permalink)
    Very clean and beautiful build, +1 and good luck!

sconer99
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/16 21:18:50 (permalink)
    Extremely awesome rig. I love it
    texasmich
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 280
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/17 05:36:48 (permalink)
    GREAT BUILD keep it going!!!!
    seeker7125
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/22 08:32:59 (permalink)

Quick (sort of) update!

So it's been a while since I've actually updated this because I had been stuck without access to the EVGA Hydro Copper blocks due to them 'temporarily' discontinuing them. That has changed!

So I have four of these lovely blocks on their way and it's time to get started on pushing this build forward. I've had pretty good luck getting good 3DMarks 11 scores with my air cooling under high-stress, but the score is starting to fault from all the stress testing I've put my CPU through so I've given it a rest and will consider trading in for a new 3960X if need be, though I'd prefer to save myself the hassle of selling the old one and paying the difference for a new one...

I've ordered a plethora of nice new parts, over $1500 worth of additional water-cooling parts to help the build as it stands, plus I need to prepare it for a case-move, which will be around late February 2013 when the Corsair 900D is released in the US (Already pre-ordered from NCIX). I've been looking forward to this new case because of its space and options, and frankly I find the COSMO II a bit ugly; but I work with what I can get for now.

I have a lot of minor modifications to the current build to make it more efficient; everything from changing up tubes (some are collapsing) to adding some more metal connections. I've also had some major issues with the bay reservoir I have in at the moment, and am replacing it with some AquaComputer Bay reservoirs. Also, as seen above, I'll be 'trying out' the crystal links for the SLI setup just to see if I like it over pure metal. I bought metal connectors anyway in case I don't... 

I've decided to go with two loops, one for GPU and one for CPU/MOSFET/MISC.  In total, I have access to 3x quad rads, 1x triple rad, and 1x dual rad. I will have to figure out what is the most efficient to allocate for each . Each loop will have two D5 Vario pumps in serial to ensure enough pressure, and I've been ensured this should be sufficient for now.  I'm going to run into a space issue with the crammed COSMO II, but hopefully the later 900D will help that issue. For now I'll have to mount some of the blocks externally. I had mentioned some tube collapsing before; I have bought some less flexible, stronger tubing just to run in the non-visible crevices of the case.

Of course, there may be some modifications to the GPU cards themselves so I can get some extra volts out of the cards. Again, haven't decided on this for sure, it will void the warranty, but will also give me the overclocking kick I need to push the GPU's to the limit. I'll have to decide this before putting the blocks on. We'll see...

That's it for now! Stay tuned for some nice pics of all the new parts once they arrive! 
    post edited by seeker7125 - 2013/01/22 08:40:59
    Andrew_K
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1228
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/22 15:39:03 (permalink)
    No offense, but if you find the cosmos II ugly, why don't you 1. Mod it, or 2. Not build with it? No real use in getting a killer setup in it and then switching out right away. I haven't seen anything custom in this rig besides a watercooling loop. Additionally, telling us how much you spent on parts in bold red font doesn't earn any extra points. The majority of people on here have thousands in their custom rigs too.
    LGalchenko
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/22 17:21:35 (permalink)
    I'm Sorry Andrew_K,  I find your comment out of place...  Not all people are blessed with a nice workshop and sets of tools such as yourself.  It's still neat to see what nice machines people can put together even with stock parts.  It's definitly not something you can purchase at BestBuy!  As far as money goes...  Well, I don't mind knowing how much people spend on nice things :)  By the way,  your own project is very impressive!

MB: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    CPU: Intel i7 3930K
    Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 4 x 8GB
    Graphics: EVGA GTX 680 Classified Hydro Copper (x3)
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (x2 Raid 0)
    PSU: EVGA NEX1500 Classified (1500 Watt)
    Case: CaseLabs Magnum STH10
    Watercooled: CPU & All GPU's
    Andrew_K
    FTW Member
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/22 17:27:54 (permalink)
    With the amount of money put into this, it's not hard to imagine buying a simple dremel and a can of spray paint. Modding doesn't have to cost money - especially if you choose a case for a build and then later say "I think the case is ugly but I built with it anyway." Seems like a cop-out when in the same thread you say "I'm occupying my time collecting expensive things
    post edited by Andrew_K - 2013/01/22 17:34:21
    xpclassified
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 743
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/22 17:29:49 (permalink)
    LGalchenko

I'm Sorry Andrew_K,  I find your comment out of place... 

+1

Seeker7125, Keeps the pics coming!

i7 3770K @ 5.0 on air | Prolimatech Megahalem | EVGA Z77 FTW | Corsair Vengence 2x 4GB 1600Mhz | ATI Radeon 6970 | Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card | 120GB Corsair Force GT | 1TB Western Digital Black | 2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 in RAID 0 | Corsair HX1000 PSU | Corsair Corsair 800D  
    Renegade R4 Build
    For sale and for trade
    Heatware

seeker7125
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/22 17:32:57 (permalink)
    Andrew_K

No offense, but if you find the cosmos II ugly, why don't you 1. Mod it, or 2. Not build with it? No real use in getting a killer setup in it and then switching out right away. I haven't seen anything custom in this rig besides a watercooling loop. Additionally, telling us how much you spent on parts in bold red font doesn't earn any extra points. The majority of people on here have thousands in their custom rigs too.

Sorry if I offended you for some reason. It's a build log of a watercooling loop, not a case-mod. If it were such I'd probably post a case-mod on Overclock.net or something. The overall goal is a for a solid overclock build that I can get some good results with, and I do understand your field goes in a much more custom direction. I've always admired MNPCTECH for their work, but I don't have that level of equipment or hands-on skill to do the kind of work you guys do; props to you.

That said, do be nice. Your post gives off a bit of an angry vibe, though I'm sure you didn't intend it that way. I would rather round off a number for total parts then list 100 different, alone meaningless, but together useful components. It wasn't meant to generate offence, it's how things work in my head, and I apologize if it did. This is my hobby to keep me grounded and sane in the busy-ness of dentistry, and while I enjoy writing about it and posting my build log, I also understand there is better work out there: there should be 

As for the case swap, it's because of the history of this case. The original design was fabricated a longtime ago, way before I had access to the necessary funds to support the project as it stands. When I had originally designed the watercooling loop, I had a one loop design that needed something that would fit it well; COSMO II was the best fit at the time as it supported what I had setup for the loop with minimum modifications to the chassis. As the project evolved, I needed more space, and was going to simply go through fabricating external mounts and dealing with it that way, but it wasn't ideal. I prefer minimalists designs; I don't like giant rads hanging off the outside of the case. The Corsair 900D didn't even exist yet, and I hadn't the funds to buy a custom CaseLabs or make an MNPCTech order. COSMO II was the best fit at the price, especially when you consider it's an arm and leg to ship in cases to Canada; it was readily available in stores already. Frankly I don't like the looks of it too much, but I'd rather my stuff fit for now then have to work around getting something else across the border and to me in the time frame I had. The nice thing is, when I'm done, I can take my old build I gave to my little brother and integrate his watercooling build into the COSMO II so he doesn't have such a beat up hand-me-down case. 

Anyway, I'm rambling. Hopefully when I get parts going I can get back to the build and setup loops, etc. And when the Corsair 900D is released, who knows, maybe by then I'll have some more experience and hands-on free time to actually do something fun to the case; right now the free-time doesn't exist. I spend more of the day looking down patients mouths than sadly playing with my new toy here hahaha.

Props btw to your current build, it looks amazing. Can't wait to see it in completion!

post edited by seeker7125 - 2013/01/22 17:50:57
    Andrew_K
    FTW Member
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/22 17:36:22 (permalink)
    I apologize for the miscommunication on my part regarding the modding and not knowing why you'd swap cases. As I said it's a killer build.
    seeker7125
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/23 09:47:09 (permalink)

Update:

Just got the first batch of parts in. Hoping the rest come in soon so I can commence the build. The project might move a little slower as I am knee deep in work atm. Here are some pictures of the first set of goodies to tide you over:

Thanks! Expect more to come! 

seeker7125
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/25 23:15:31 (permalink)
    Photo Update:

More to come...

KenMagnate
    • Total Posts : 80
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/25 23:50:21 (permalink)
    whoa you got a feser 480 rad? I got the 120, 240, 360... just missing the 480...

ASUS Rampage III BE, i7 990x CPU, 3x EVGA 4 GB 670 SC W/Backplate GPU, 24GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM, 1x LG Super Multi Blu BH14NS40 OD, 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, EVGA NEX 1500 PSU
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/26 09:22:43 (permalink)
    seeker7125

Photo Update:

More to come...

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

YerBuddy
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8919
    • Ribbons : 59
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/28 00:14:04 (permalink)
    Awesome stuff here!  Can't wait to see it completed.  Very well thought-out.
    Madrias
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4825
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:New Build: Carious Legion - Watercooled Quad GTX 680 SLI Setup 2013/01/28 01:33:32 (permalink)
    Quite an awesome looking build!  There's just something wicked about seeing a stack of GPUs in any case.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile