EVGA

Need to power some SATA connectors, only VGA outputs left on modular power supply

Author
E221b
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/08/15 16:26:36 (permalink)
I’ve filled my SATA and PERIF outs on my power supply but I still need to power a few of fan and led hubs. Not huge power draws and all use SATA connectors. Is there a way to connect a SATA modular cable to one of the remaining VGA outs? I know they’re keyed differently. Any help or tutorials around? Also, would there be some sort of risk of damaging the fan hubs?

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7859
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Need to power some SATA connectors, only VGA outputs left on modular power supply 2020/08/16 00:03:05 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums.

Due to the lack of +5V and +3.3V lines on a PCIe/VGA power connector, you'll not find any PCIe/VGA to SATA power adapters that I know of like for what you have in mind..A PCIe connector supplies only +12V and not the other +3.3V and +5V that SATA power needs, is why.

You can get SATA Power Splitters and SATA Power Extension Cables, which are widely available, that can work fine.

You need to not overload the cable/terminals with too many amps, which you might (probably) do..Need to add up the maximum amps draw of all the devices you want to power up using the cable and not exceed it..See the SATA power cable watts/amps rating here.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 8884
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Need to power some SATA connectors, only VGA outputs left on modular power supply 2020/08/16 02:42:37 (permalink)
    The question I would have is what is the power supply and have. 

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Need to power some SATA connectors, only VGA outputs left on modular power supply 2020/08/16 18:09:30 (permalink)
    As Bob said, VGA doesn't have the voltages you need so that isn't an option. Your best bet is to buy some SATA splitters and simply split the SATA plugs you already have. If you're using SSDs then there's no worry, but if you're connecting a lot of HDDs then you need to be careful not to overload your PSU. 

Have water, will cool. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile