EVGA

LED Sync CPU Usage

Author
prawdaeh
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/11/29 13:13:58 (permalink)
So, task manager is reporting that "LED Sync.exe" is causing 1.5-2.5% usage of my 8700k @ 4.9ghz at all times while it is running, and this has been throughout several updates of Precision x1 which I've been using since purchasing my XC Ultra 2080 Ti

For comparison - there is pretty much no other 3rd party background software on my system that reports more than 0.1-0.3% CPU usage in task manager, and that includes RGB LED software from other companies.   Without getting into the fiasco that is RGB between PC component manfuacturers that I think would benefit from a collaboration between manufacturers for a connectivity standard (similar to how we all use USB, which means our usb devices work on all brands..rather than this brand locking competition being had for shiney things that don't benefit PC functionality in any way, although they do look pretty.)  Corsair.service can jump to 1.5% but mostly idles bewtween 0.1-0.8%  (i'm slowly eliminating corsair products from my build to reduce the background processes running on my system, last thing to replace is my h100i)

I guess my question is, why does LED Sync want that much cpu usage vs aura, or corsair link or ICUE, or even logitech software?  Some of which does more than control lights on hardware.    Can this be toned down in the future?  This should be an idle task, running in the background hardly being noticed.  Instead, on an idle desktop, it's at the top of the list in task manager when arranging by CPU usage at all times.

Using process lasso - showes a CPU usage average of about 0.03% in other lighting control software, which might be more accurate than what task manager reports. 

It's not a huge deal, as at least my 2080Ti keeps it's color when I close LED sync until I reboot, although it loses any breathing/pulsing patterns.  I've also used process lasso to experiment with only allowing LED Sync to utilize logical cores, where some of my more single threaded CPU dependent titles respond more favorably to being run on only physical cores of my 8700k using the same method.   And eventually I'm probably going to build a custom waterloop for the card with connectivity to sync with other RGB components in my rig, as sorry EVGA I have components from other brands, but kudos because I love my XC Ultra 2080Ti, where my only complaint is that RGB connections are proprietary, and nothing is ever good about proprietary connections. Which can be said for all of the top pc component manufacturer's right now. 

For the meantime, it just bugs me that LED sync is constantly using my CPU at all while running, and I'm wondering if there's any hope of that being toned down in the future. 2.5% cpu usage may seem insignificant to some, but ultimately, this is a gaming rig, and the 2080Ti is a gaming card.  When I run a game that's cpu dependent I don't want it competing with lighting software. 

Just to show I'm not trying to hate on EVGA here, the 2080Ti you guys sent me from the EVGA store is a beast, happily running stable with +104 to the core clock and +607 to the memory, and should something have gone wrong I have confidence in your warranty and customer service, and greatly appreciate the BIOS update that allowed for 130% power target. Almost too powerful for my 3440x1440 monitor in some cases, but mostly just the right match depending on the title. Same for VR.   RGB aside EVGA is generally my first recommendation for a GPU, or other components. 
post edited by prawdaeh - 2018/11/29 14:37:05

5 Replies Related Threads

prawdaeh
    Re: LED Sync CPU Usage 2018/11/30 14:16:40 (permalink)
    A little foot in mouth here...seems you guys allow for GPU RGB control within Precision X1 without LED sync running at all, and at least for me x1 is hardly using any CPU. 

Entire system usage down to 2% when I'm not moving the mouse even with discord and this chrome window on the desktop. 

I wasn't able to choose a color in 0.3.7, however downloaded and installed 0.3.9. and have full control over the card's RGB from within x1 and LED sync does not seem to need to run. 

My apologies. I guess LED sync is for multiple EVGA products capable of RGB, which still may be quesitonable in CPU usage, but not a program I require anymore it seems.  I digress.   x1 is looking better and better.   

P.S. I still dislike the RGB rat race going on between manufacturers, but is not the scope of this thread.  Sorry it's hard not to want to mention it.  And feel free to point and laugh at my misunderstanding of x1 and led sync. 

post edited by prawdaeh - 2018/11/30 14:28:00
    Volt615
    Re: LED Sync CPU Usage 2018/11/30 18:21:47 (permalink)
    My colors aren't syncing or changing with the newest version of the program and the 2080ti I received today. 
    prawdaeh
    Re: LED Sync CPU Usage 2018/11/30 23:56:10 (permalink)
    Volt615
    My colors aren't syncing or changing with the newest version of the program and the 2080ti I received today. 

I know with the last couple of updates prior to this I got firmware updates for LED sync, and I had configured colors through LED Sync previously.   I had to manually download 0.3.9 beta as checking for updates within the software itself wasn't registering any newer versions. 

In 0.3.7 I could control whether the light was breathing, pulsing. static on but had no control of color. 

in 0.3.9 the option for changing color was there.   I'm getting there by selecting "LED" at the top between VGA1 and HWM.

Which brings me to this page:

Which allows for control of GPU lighting.   In 0.3.7 for me the "Color A" and "Color B" options just weren't present. 

Enjoy your new card, thing is a beast if running a high res display or some VR titles.    

post edited by prawdaeh - 2018/12/01 00:16:27

Attached Image(s)

Volt615
    Re: LED Sync CPU Usage 2018/12/04 07:37:32 (permalink)
    Thanks. I was using the wrong program. Once I uninstalled it and then installed X1 it works. 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: LED Sync CPU Usage 2018/12/04 07:52:43 (permalink)
    Volt615
    Thanks. I was using the wrong program. Once I uninstalled it and then installed X1 it works. 

Glad you got it sorted out

As Precision X1 is still Beta for RTX Only -- it is best to check for updates:   https://www.evga.com/precisionx1/

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile