Kingpin 3090 pump noise

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
crowie03
  • Total Posts : 79
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/02/27 14:15:13 (permalink)
Okay I thought I had solved the problem with my pump noise thinking it was the cpu cooler pump, but its actually the kingpin.

Are these cards meant to be silent? Or will there always be a noise. Its really starting to drive me crazy especially in a quiet room when I am using the pc for productivity type work.

Not sure if RMA will solve the problem. Maybe I am better off with an air cooled card like a strix.

This youtube I found pretty much is the same boat I am in. There are english subtitles on the clip.

https://youtu.be/VR2WibxtdV0

119 Replies Related Threads

Kaveman42
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/02/27 14:59:47 (permalink)
    Does yours sound like this? https://youtu.be/Wh5SHzZsVjM

This was my GPU, which I had to RMA. There are some suggestions in the comment section of what you can try. Unfortunately, it didn't help in my situation.
    crowie03
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/02/27 15:18:33 (permalink)
    Did the RMA returned card sound the same?
    crowie03
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/02/27 15:22:07 (permalink)
    Mine is more of like a pump whining/electrical buzzing noise, even when not under load. Its the frequency of the noise thats annoying
    degenerate
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 614
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/02/27 16:04:17 (permalink)
    Kaveman42

This was my GPU, which I had to RMA. There are some suggestions in the comment section of what you can try. Unfortunately, it didn't help in my situation.

Yeah that one is clearly a failing pump, making knocking noises. The typical noise most refer to is a mid/high range whine combined with what sounds like a high speed switching circuit; fully functional but obnoxious sounding.

Both my 2080Ti and 3090 Kingpin cards have the same pump noise, basically sounds like a mini fridge. Apparently there are quiet ones... I find that hard to believe, it's been my experience that they're all noisy, maybe it's true though because I've had a few CPU CLC's that were quiet. If my PC were right next to me I don't think I'd be able to live with it tbh. I have thought about RMA'ing but I'm in Canada and don't want to be left without a card for a few weeks and also it just seems risky in this hardware climate (silicon shortage). I am trying to just hold out and deal with the noise until a waterblock comes out, then I'll be rid of the Hybrid cooler altogether.

You could RMA but there's no guarantee the replacement won't sound the same; then you factor in it might not only sound the same, but be a potentially worse performing card (also could be better, lottery). Good luck!
    post edited by degenerate - 2021/02/27 16:10:57

|5900x|MSI B550 Unify-X|2x16GB G.Skill 3800 C14 @ 1900 FCLK|2TB WD SN850 M.2|EVGA 3090 KPE|EVGA 1600T2|Alienware '25' & LG 48" CX OLED|
    Kaveman42
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/02/27 16:27:15 (permalink)
    crowie03
    Did the RMA returned card sound the same?

No the new card is silent
    Kaveman42
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/02/27 16:31:39 (permalink)
    degenerate
    Kaveman42

Yeah that one is clearly a failing pump, making knocking noises. The typical noise most refer to is a mid/high range whine combined with what sounds like a high speed switching circuit; fully functional but obnoxious sounding.

Both my 2080Ti and 3090 Kingpin cards have the same pump noise, basically sounds like a mini fridge. Apparently there are quiet ones... I find that hard to believe, it's been my experience that they're all noisy, maybe it's true though because I've had a few CPU CLC's that were quiet. If my PC were right next to me I don't think I'd be able to live with it tbh. I have thought about RMA'ing but I'm in Canada and don't want to be left without a card for a few weeks and also it just seems risky in this hardware climate (silicon shortage). I am trying to just hold out and deal with the noise until a waterblock comes out, then I'll be rid of the Hybrid cooler altogether.

You could RMA but there's no guarantee the replacement won't sound the same; then you factor in it might not only sound the same, but be a potentially worse performing card (also could be better, lottery). Good luck!

There is always the option of Advance RMA where you put down a deposit for a new card then you get a refund when they receive yours. That's what i did. Luckily I received a card with a better PR score of 15242, my previous card was 15031.
    degenerate
    SSC Member
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/02/27 16:37:09 (permalink)
    Kaveman42
    There is always the option of Advance RMA where you put down a deposit for a new card then you get a refund when they receive yours. That's what i did. Luckily I received a card with a better PR score of 15242, my previous card was 15031.

Are you in Canada? I don't believe Advance RMA is available outside of the US but not 100% sure.

|5900x|MSI B550 Unify-X|2x16GB G.Skill 3800 C14 @ 1900 FCLK|2TB WD SN850 M.2|EVGA 3090 KPE|EVGA 1600T2|Alienware '25' & LG 48" CX OLED|
    Kaveman42
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/02/27 16:38:49 (permalink)
    degenerate
    Kaveman42

Are you in Canada? I don't believe Advance RMA is available outside of the US but not 100% sure.

No, I'm in the US. Wasn't aware the option wasn't available outside the US. The RMA center is like 30 miles from my house so the TAT was quick. Only took about 2 days to get the new card.
    degenerate
    SSC Member
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/02/27 16:49:15 (permalink)
    Kaveman42

No, I'm in the US. Wasn't aware the option wasn't available outside the US. The RMA center is like 30 miles from my house so the TAT was quick. Only took about 2 days to get the new card.

Yeah see, if I lived that close to the RMA center I'd have no problem RMA'ing either lol, I'd have already done it.

Not sure about Advance RMA in Canada but I doubt it, EVGA's famous customer service doesn't really extend beyond the US border. Regardless, it'll cost me money to RMA and also system down-time while waiting for a replacement that hopefully doesn't get lost/stolen in transit. GPU's are unobtanium right now so it seems crazy to send one back but I'm probably being overly paranoid.

crowie03
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/02/28 01:05:07 (permalink)
    Advance RMA is available to Australia, although I have to send the card to Taiwan. When my bios switch broke it cost me $350 to send to Taiwan via DHL express (No way I would send postal). Evga shipped it back via DHL express so I literally had my card fixed and returned within 2 weeks. I think maybe I am being too anal about the sound at times, my partner thinks its not noisy at all. I had a Asus Tuf oc 3080 and MSI Gaming X trio 3090 and I didn't have issues with noises from the card. Maybe an AIO type card cannot be completely silent and I am expecting too much. I was considering a selling this and getting an Asus strix 3090, however after typing strix 3090 problems into google, I think I wont lol.    

cfieber
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/02/28 20:17:37 (permalink)
    Kaveman42

Ahhh I have exactly the same problem... its driving me crazy.. Looks like its an RMA for me then.
    gsorin
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/02/28 22:20:53 (permalink)
    my crappy KP sounded like this in the first days
    https:***//streamable.***com/pmwlfv
    (remove stars)

shaking the card helped a bit, it sound is pretty much like this now
    https:***//streamable.***com/rb1ezh

after "troubleshooting" and ~2 weeks usage the fridge sound went a bit down, but it's still there, can hear it from my desk in idle / browsing
    once the pump got quieter I am able now to hear the coil whine sometimes...
    Had no coil at all with 2080 Ti KP, the power supply is Seasonic Titanium.

so I understand now exactly what people mean by ''fridge sound'', never encountered this so far, and I had many AiOs, for CPU and 1080Ti hybrid and 2080 Ti KP, so indeed it's not that specific AiO buzz which passes after the air bubbles settle down, it really really sounds like a fridge
    so much for the quality of the premium / exclusive / limited edition card...
    I don't know why they mount faulty units on the so-called "premium" products, don't they check the parts? I was so disappointed, I had to wait for this card, and as you already know, it's not cheap at all in European stores...

quality of the small fan of the card seems also not to be so good this generation, is pretty loud, and that's the most annoying thing

wrote to EVGA, they issued a RMA, but I am wondering - I see so many threads with the pump noise for this "premium" card, so now I am a bit worried if I'm not gonna get a worse one, so why bother =)) I have to pay the shipping to EVGA, and it's not cheap if ensurance is included
    read somewhere that a guy received the replacement even worse, and just the third one was better...

edit: so after almost 3-4 weeks usage, it sounds much like this now:
    https://streamable.com/rqlzln
    post edited by gsorin - 2021/03/03 01:55:28
    gsorin
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/03/04 22:02:58 (permalink)
    Kaveman42
    Does yours sound like this? https://youtu.be/Wh5SHzZsVjM

replacement card was new or not?
    I applied for RMA in Europe, it's quite unlikely the replaced card will be new, statement in e-mail was something like
    "Products sent in for RMA will be replaced with a thoroughly tested re-certified product."
    but at least I need it to be silent in the end...
    the chip itself seems alrite though, +200 easy on core just with the default ln2 bios w/o any effort, but for gaming the noise is horrible, I would have preferred a worse chip but dead silent card...
    JZegers
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/03/08 09:37:13 (permalink)
    Pretty sure i'll be RMA'ing mine due to a pump going bad as well heh:

https://twitter.com/JZege...us/1368977331927257091
    gsorin
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/03/08 09:55:15 (permalink)
    uh... are you sayin’ that ye pump wasn’t like this in the beginning?
    bloody hell...
    this ain’t right then
    sent it today for replacement mine, was hoping that the sound will fade away, apparently after a while probably got used to it but this week-end was gettin really annoyed, mine has coil as well, kinda got worse since few weeks ago

there suckers are pretty expensive in Europe, was hoping that K|NGP|N is K|NGP|N, but this round the quality is a joke
    JZegers
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/03/08 09:58:46 (permalink)
    yeah it just started doing that like a week or two ago.  i've had this since december.  
    gsorin
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/03/08 11:14:48 (permalink)
    had 2080Ti KP for 20 months or so, noise was the same till the end...
    I swapped at some point the two cards, was amazed how crappy is the 3090...

anyways, I noticed in your video that the card seems to not be connected to the motherboard, are just the power calbles plugged then?

yeah, so what can I say, tell us how is it going further, how the replacement will be...

saw also on other KP 3090 pump noise threads that some received the replacements ok, some not therefore they're on the 3rd one...
    they might just replace the AiO at some point, as they will run out of replacements - new or refurbished whatever :))

but if these suckers even they are ok in the beginning are failing just within few months, what's the point then?

if so, they should provide just the AiOs for us, we'll swap them ourselves if needed, don't want ending to spend on shipping more than the card
    post edited by gsorin - 2021/03/10 03:25:34
    jollib
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/04/01 13:37:31 (permalink)
    Great mine just started making this noise two. THis is my second kingpin. the first one was RMA'd because the LCD stopped working after a firmware update. This is not normal right?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aS3lsOJaUvFTrm9JkGXhaqwQThKpeDfR/view?usp=sharing

thats how mines sound
    jollib
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/04/01 14:33:30 (permalink)
    just requested another rma. they said it would be a recertified replacement... Any of you guys get your replacement already? how was the condition? So far read in this thread that some ended up peforming better.

gsorin
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/04/01 22:43:39 (permalink)

My KP was not good from the sound point of view from day 1 - "fridge" pump and coil whine.
    After exchanging few e-mails with eu.support shaking the card not really helped.
    So they said to send it for RMA (Germany)... They said that process shouldn't take more than 3-5 working days - first will try to fix issue with existing card (eventually replace the AiO) or else it will be replaced with different unit. I also asked if they have replacements (cards or spare parts) available.

After paying a lot on shipping THREE weeks passed and nothing happened, no reply to my e-mails etc.
    I finally decided to phone them... Anyways, during my conversations I received some contradictory answers during our phone calls - first, they don't change the AiO in Europe, the card is usually replaced and he will get back to me when this will be actually happening. THEN: the person on the phone said that he checked again and surprise… the card sounds normal! And they can't replace the card because it is "normal", therefore they already can send me the card back like it is and since it is not a priority situation, I'll use it like it is until they find a replacement or an AiO spare and that could take a while if I want that just the AiO replaced.
    I am so disappointed that I had to wait THREE weeks finding out that nothing happened so far!
    Bloody hell.
    Card did not sound normal at all:
    streamable.com/pmwlfv
    As it can be heard, pump is quite noisy ("fridge sound", shaking the card did NOT really helped after changing e-mails with support), and the card also has some coil whine it's quite annoying, I can hear it from my desk in idle / browsing, and my rig is floor level.

I wrote also to Jayson two days ago, finally yesterday I received an answer from US support that I need to be patient until this will be sorted out somehow.

I'm seeing on forum lots of user having issues from start with these pumps, or even worse, after a while... Last two weeks saw on different threads 4-5 KP users which reported that pump is failing after few months use, also another 2-3 that replacements failed too.
    This is supposed to be a PREMIUM/EXCLUSIVE product, I paid more than 3000 US $ on it! As you know, prices in Europe are way too high compared to US or Asia.
    Now they are listed between 3500-4000 US$ in Europe, and still sold instantly when in stock.
    JZegers
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/04/02 11:22:50 (permalink)
    Im on my third KPE and the pump is starting to tick/fail again...

First one bought Dec 2020: Loud ticking started/pump failing after 3 months

Second Card (first rma): Shipped me one with bricked screen/dead LEDs and iCX broken, RMAd right away

Third card (second rma): Working, pump started ticking and loud after about a week.

Is the 4th time the charm?!
    jollib
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/04/02 11:25:27 (permalink)
    Evga has to be looking at these issues. If so many people are experiencing the same thing.
    JZegers
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/04/02 11:27:16 (permalink)
    jollib
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/04/02 11:31:48 (permalink)
    yep thats how mine sounds like right now. i already requested RMA. maybe they will revise it if we get enough to rma them.
    JZegers
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/04/02 11:34:39 (permalink)
    I mean youre just getting other RMA'd cards.  Its kind of a joke at this point.
    jollib
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/04/02 11:35:42 (permalink)
    shouldn they be testing them though. i guess thats wishful thinking

bmx045
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/04/04 08:09:31 (permalink)
    Just sent mine back couple days ago. Pump impeller sounded like it was about to rattle its way out of the GPU. At this point, if they don't publicize what they did to fix the issue, I'm inclined to just wait for a waterblock somewhere to come available if this **** keeps happening.

rome1120
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/04/04 09:31:03 (permalink)
    I was getting pump noise and they sent me a rma that looks like it’s been used for months the video keeps going out this is inexcusable for a rma that is a 2000 gpu it looks worse then and of the other I have ever sent in I like to keep my stuff in like new condition and the even the ones was scratched up. It’s not fail that then would send me something think like after the thousands I have spent at the place do worry I will post some picks i what they and what I and supposed to return. Theo make me very on happy with the customer service at they could of and least fix the card out instead is looks like it was pulled out throwing in a box and sent as a rma what is that
    gsorin
    Re: Kingpin 3090 pump noise 2021/04/04 09:50:45 (permalink)
    Yeah, I'm starting to be worried on how on my RMA will look like. Saw few angry users on forum that they received really bad replacements, pretty much in bad shape, scratched, messy on backplate (probably some ghetto cooling for memory) etc.
    So basically replacements are other RMAs, just thrown back to others... Are these "thoroughly tested re-certified products"?
    I would be happy if they could just replace the AiO only, but then why to keep so may weeks a card on hold and pay on shipments, the easiest way being to send the AiOs only and we replace them?
    In my case, it's almost four weeks now and nothing happened so far... Last week I phoned EVGA Europe it was stated that as long as the card is functional it is not a priority and from the RMA point of view the sound is... normal! Really?
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile