Issue with 1080ti SC2 - possibly dying

Author
Mankee
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/05/24 23:08:58 (permalink)
Hi everyone,

I have been experiencing issues with my 1080ti SC2 for 3 days now. It's gonna take a while to explain, please bear with me.
It all happened after I pulled the card out to reach some sata ports on the mobo to connect an extra hdd.
After I put everything back together, I started having these annoying freezes every minute or so that lasted 3-5 seconds while gaming. The card would ramp up to 100% while they were occurring and then drop to 10% for about 2 seconds before going back to 95-98% where it normally sits (at least according to task manager numbers, if they are to be trusted).
First things I did was reinstall graphics driver, reinstalled game (been mostly playing WoW, but affected all games) and made sure windows was updated too. Nothing changed.
Then I reset bios to default, cancelling all the overclocks (the card was NOT overclocked, processor and ram were). Again no change.
Then while in game I got a new error for the first time - windows was saying it cannot read my graphics driver.
After some googling, it all pointed to serious windows corruption. I input some CMD lines I found on google and the diagnostic confirmed there is indeed corruption in windows files. The command prompt could not fix it.
I ultimately formatted the disk and installed a fresh version of windows, updated it and installed all new drivers for mobo and GPU.

Right now all games are unplayable, they crash as soon as the GPU ramps up to any kind of load, after like 30 seconds, citing video driver or video hardware related errors.

I ran furmark at 2k - got 109 fps at 77c max temp.
Ran furmark stress test for some minutes - no instability of any kind, max temp 79c.
These results are identical to the ones pre malfunction.

The card normally sits at about 95-98% usage while gaming, between 75-79c.
It was paired with ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz and 16GB of ram at 3200 with xmp. These are not overclocked at the moment.
Airflow is good, nothing was ever overheating.

I took the card out again and inspected it visually, there isn't any apparent damage. I cleaned the entire system about 2 weeks ago.
All this makes me think there was an electrostatic discharge somewhere, somehow, even though I was careful to be grounded the whole time. Then again, why would furmark stress be completely stable, but only games affected? Everything was pointing at hardware damage, but windows did find corrupt files. These conflicting results are what got me so confused and frustrated.

I know ideally I should test the GPU in another system, but currently this is not possible.
If anyone more experienced or more educated than I ever saw something similar before I would be extremely grateful for any information.

Thank you.

6 Replies Related Threads

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Issue with 1080ti SC2 - possibly dying 2020/05/24 23:42:47 (permalink)
    Can you elaborate on what you mean when Windows found corrupt files? Is this chkdisk, or the SFC scanner?

Have water, will cool. 
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Issue with 1080ti SC2 - possibly dying 2020/05/24 23:48:20 (permalink)
    Sounds like the card may have failed in some way..But take it out again and clean the 'gold fingers' on it with a pencil eraser and some rubbing alcohol..Shine a flashlight in the PCIe slot and check for obvious bent/broken/damaged pins..Put it back in, make sure it's fully seated, make sure the 8-pin power connector is fully seated too.

Yeah, it would be ideal to try it in another compatible PC or take it to a PC repair shop in your area for testing real quick.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Mankee
    Re: Issue with 1080ti SC2 - possibly dying 2020/05/24 23:49:01 (permalink)
    Yes, sorry for not being clear. I ran SFC scan and then dism.exe restore health, which did complete, but the corruption remained
    Mankee
    Re: Issue with 1080ti SC2 - possibly dying 2020/05/25 08:40:23 (permalink)
    bob16314
    Sounds like the card may have failed in some way..But take it out again and clean the 'gold fingers' on it with a pencil eraser and some rubbing alcohol..Shine a flashlight in the PCIe slot and check for obvious bent/broken/damaged pins..Put it back in, make sure it's fully seated, make sure the 8-pin power connector is fully seated too.

Yeah, it would be ideal to try it in another compatible PC or take it to a PC repair shop in your area for testing real quick.

I've done all this.
    I have also tried to install an older version of nvidia drivers and disable overlay and windows game mode, nothing helped.
    I did notice that two of the PCIE fingers were shorter than others. I'm no expert, so I wasn't sure is this damage or normal?

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Issue with 1080ti SC2 - possibly dying 2020/05/25 10:00:08 (permalink)
    Mankee

I did notice that two of the PCIE fingers were shorter than others. I'm no expert, so I wasn't sure is this damage or normal?

Normal.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Issue with 1080ti SC2 - possibly dying 2020/05/25 13:24:14 (permalink)
    bob16314
    Mankee

Normal.

+1

they are made that way

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile