EVGA

Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Chiyeji
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/10/06 14:46:18 (permalink)
KingEngineRevUp
kevinc313
KingEngineRevUp
kevinc313
KingEngineRevUp

I had ML120 and QL120 and they made a horrible noise at certain mismatched RPMs.

Were they on the same radiator, push pull?

Yes, isnt that what we're discussing?

From OP:

"On Side: 3 Lian Li uni sl120s at intake (rainbow color). In the back of that are the 2 RTX 3080 TI hybrid rad and its two fans as intake as well."

So you had ML120's and QL120's on an EVGA or equivalent Asetek AIO radiator, and had resonant noise problems?  Just trying to get details about the situation you encountered.

I had a 3080 FTW3 Hybrid and 3080 Ti hybrid in a O11-XL exactly where OP has his radiator.

I've also had ML120 and ML120, and LL120 and ML120 at some point. I did a bit of testing.

https://imgur.com/a/az6vNNV

Good day bro,
For clarification sake: In your 3080 Ti Hybrid build, are you saying you have both radiators exactly where I have mine (CPU Rad on TOP as exhaust and GPU Rad in the back as intake)?

For the other fans, the one rear exhaust and the 3 bottom fans as intake, are you running the same setup as me?

Of all the fans you've tested with, ML120, LL120, and SL120, which one is quietest?

Another side info: My single rear exhaust is actually an Artic p12 model. So I have 9 Lian Li Sl120s, 1 artic P12, and the 2 evga default fans on the hybrid radiator. Perhaps these 3 different fans are causing the resonance, like you suggested. So, I'll just go with fans from the same brand and model.

How quieter is your 3080 FTW3 compared to the Ti hybrid? At idle, the hybrid rad fans always run. Does it bother you?  I have the opportunity to get a 3080 TI non-hybrid.

According to your pic, you front-mounted your gpu. Isn't your temp negatively affected by doing this?
post edited by Chiyeji - 2021/10/06 14:57:45
KingEngineRevUp
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1030
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/10/06 16:05:22 (permalink)
Chiyeji
KingEngineRevUp
kevinc313
KingEngineRevUp
kevinc313
KingEngineRevUp

I had ML120 and QL120 and they made a horrible noise at certain mismatched RPMs.

From OP:

"On Side: 3 Lian Li uni sl120s at intake (rainbow color). In the back of that are the 2 RTX 3080 TI hybrid rad and its two fans as intake as well."

So you had ML120's and QL120's on an EVGA or equivalent Asetek AIO radiator, and had resonant noise problems?  Just trying to get details about the situation you encountered.

I had a 3080 FTW3 Hybrid and 3080 Ti hybrid in a O11-XL exactly where OP has his radiator.

I've also had ML120 and ML120, and LL120 and ML120 at some point. I did a bit of testing.

Good day bro,
For clarification sake: In your 3080 Ti Hybrid build, are you saying you have both radiators exactly where I have mine (CPU Rad on TOP as exhaust and GPU Rad in the back as intake)?

For the other fans, the one rear exhaust and the 3 bottom fans as intake, are you running the same setup as me?

Of all the fans you've tested with, ML120, LL120, and SL120, which one is quietest?

Another side info: My single rear exhaust is actually an Artic p12 model. So I have 9 Lian Li Sl120s, 1 artic P12, and the 2 evga default fans on the hybrid radiator. Perhaps these 3 different fans are causing the resonance, like you suggested. So, I'll just go with fans from the same brand and model.

How quieter is your 3080 FTW3 compared to the Ti hybrid? At idle, the hybrid rad fans always run. Does it bother you?  I have the opportunity to get a 3080 TI non-hybrid.

According to your pic, you front-mounted your gpu. Isn't your temp negatively affected by doing this?

Yes, I had top exhaust and side intake. I tested ML120, QL120 and LL120. They are all the same at the same RPMs, buy the ML120 can go up to 2400 RPM IIRC and therefore were the loudest. They're all decent at 1500-1600 RPMs. 

In my friends setup we did SL120 and personally, they sounded better than my corsairs. 

In push-pull, I do NOT recommend matching pairs of fans that are so different from one another. For me, I did  at one point ML120 and LL120. I also did ML120 and QL120 and I matched the RPMs and that produced the lowest amount of noise. When they were out of sync, the noise was bad. The design for all 3 of these fan's fins are similar if not exactly the same.  

I would NOT do SL120 and the EVGA fans. The blade diameters are different for one, the tips of the blade produce the most thrust of air. These two fans are just designed too differently and can cause resonance. If you remove the EVGA fans off of the build and the sound goes away, that answers your question. Because matching fans in push-pull shouldn't cause weird resonances and hums, at least not all the time. There's probably going to be some matches that do but I have never heard of any. 
Chiyeji
Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/10/06 20:05:36 (permalink)
KingEngineRevUp
Chiyeji
KingEngineRevUp
kevinc313
KingEngineRevUp
kevinc313
KingEngineRevUp

From OP:

Good day bro,

Yes, I had top exhaust and side intake. I tested ML120, QL120 and LL120. They are all the same at the same RPMs, buy the ML120 can go up to 2400 RPM IIRC and therefore were the loudest. They're all decent at 1500-1600 RPMs. 

In my friends setup we did SL120 and personally, they sounded better than my corsairs. 

In push-pull, I do NOT recommend matching pairs of fans that are so different from one another. For me, I did  at one point ML120 and LL120. I also did ML120 and QL120 and I matched the RPMs and that produced the lowest amount of noise. When they were out of sync, the noise was bad. The design for all 3 of these fan's fins are similar if not exactly the same.  

I would NOT do SL120 and the EVGA fans. The blade diameters are different for one, the tips of the blade produce the most thrust of air. These two fans are just designed too differently and can cause resonance. If you remove the EVGA fans off of the build and the sound goes away, that answers your question. Because matching fans in push-pull shouldn't cause weird resonances and hums, at least not all the time. There's probably going to be some matches that do but I have never heard of any. 

I see. Excellent points. Thanks man.
According to your pic, you front-mounted your gpu. Isn't your temp negatively affected by doing this? Are you front-mounted for reasons other than aesthetics?
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/10/07 05:03:45 (permalink)
moving to Hardware section of Forums

your thread is  Not about EVGA 30xx-GPU

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

swiesma82
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/10/11 05:53:22 (permalink)
I had almost the identical setup.
Lian Li O11, Hybrid at the side configured as intake - temps were not good at all.
Switched to exhaust, temps went down around 15°C, added 2 more fans for pull/push - another 5° less.

And I also run the Lian Li SL120 on the bottom, and they are not really silent when you crank them up. I run them at a bare minimum all the time..

I am running be quiet! Silentwings on the hybrid cooler. They are great, but no RGB ;)
Chiyeji
Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/10/11 08:32:16 (permalink)
swiesma82
I had almost the identical setup.
Lian Li O11, Hybrid at the side configured as intake - temps were not good at all.
Switched to exhaust, temps went down around 15°C, added 2 more fans for pull/push - another 5° less.

And I also run the Lian Li SL120 on the bottom, and they are not really silent when you crank them up. I run them at a bare minimum all the time..

I am running be quiet! Silentwings on the hybrid cooler. They are great, but no RGB ;)

Bro, thanks for your repsonse!

To be clear, your setup is this:
1. Cpu AIO on the top with three fans as exhaust.
2. Evga Hybrid (with its default 2 fans) & 2 more of your own side fans, in push-pull,  at the side as exhaust.
3. 3 Sl120s on bottom as what? Intake or exhaust?
4. Do you have a rear fan? Are you running that as intake or exhaust?

When gaming, what is the max rpm you let the fans, evga and lian li, run?
Did you undervolt the evga gpu?
swiesma82
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/10/11 08:34:06 (permalink)
3x SL120 bottom intake
No rear fan
Kraken Z73 AIO top as exhaust

I run the SL120 as slow as possible. Cranking them up changes no temps, it’s only loud as hell :-)

GPU is set to 1850MHz at (I think) 0.863V or something for daily use.

The fans of the EVGA cooler are connected to the GPU and set to around 55-60% at 50-60 degrees.

When I set all fans to 100% for benchmarking my cat is leaving the room cause it annoys the hell out of her :-D it’s really loud -.-
post edited by swiesma82 - 2021/10/11 08:38:47
castrator86
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 816
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/10/19 06:23:09 (permalink)
swiesma82
3x SL120 bottom intake
No rear fan
Kraken Z73 AIO top as exhaust

I run the SL120 as slow as possible. Cranking them up changes no temps, it’s only loud as hell :-)

GPU is set to 1850MHz at (I think) 0.863V or something for daily use.

The fans of the EVGA cooler are connected to the GPU and set to around 55-60% at 50-60 degrees.

When I set all fans to 100% for benchmarking my cat is leaving the room cause it annoys the hell out of her :-D it’s really loud -.-

Sounds like you're not getting good airflow through the case then. Your GPU is probably cutting off all the airflow from the bottom intake fans. I'd definitely recommend adding a front/back fan to help get some air moving around the card. Also, how do you have your AIO/fan setup? Is the rad mounted directly to the case with the fans underneath, to pull as much free air as possible, or do you have the fans between the case and the rad??

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile