EVGA

Intel Patches Stuttering Ethernet Issues, but It's Just a Workaround for Now (i225/i226)

Author
kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 22
2023/03/01 14:02:56 (permalink)
MSI has made the update available for its I226/I225 and Killer E3100 2.5GbE motherboard users.

Intel is still working on a comprehensive fix for the intermittent Ethernet connection issues we highlighted in a report back in January. In the meantime, it has a workaround that basically turns off Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) mode. MSI appears to be the first Intel partner to release an installer delivering the workaround. Intel says it is continuing to “work towards a solution.”

If you have a modern Intel motherboard featuring a version of the Intel I225, I226, or Killer E3100 2.5GbE controllers, the headlining update is for you. Users with motherboards packing these controllers have reported intermittent disconnections when using Ethernet. Thus, you will not have observed this particular issue if you only use Wi-Fi for your internet and LAN connectivity. 
Source: TomsHardware

The post is unfortunately not very specific, but users who are having disconnection issues can manually disable EEE via the specific NIC adapter properties. As of this post I can attest ASRock hasn't updated its Intel LAN drivers yet on B650 boards. 

Energy Efficient Ethernet, Advanced EEE, and Green Ethernet are all part of the Energy Efficient Ethernet umbrella and may or may not be enabled depending on your specific power profile, so if you are experiencing disconnection problems disabling all three supposedly will resolve them. Both EEE modes were already disabled on my Killer E3100 NIC (i225v) which may be why I was not experiencing problems, but I went ahead and disabled Green Ethernet while I was in there given it directly references EEE in the description. 

Have water, will cool. 

5 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Intel Patches Stuttering Ethernet Issues, but It's Just a Workaround for Now (i225/i22 2023/03/04 07:42:52 (permalink)
    thank for the information

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102251
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Intel Patches Stuttering Ethernet Issues, but It's Just a Workaround for Now (i225/i22 2023/03/05 02:19:16 (permalink)
    Some users report that this doesn't fix the issue

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Intel Patches Stuttering Ethernet Issues, but It's Just a Workaround for Now (i225/i22 2023/03/10 19:16:36 (permalink)
    rjohnson11

But have they done everything? There's like a dozen various things people have to rule out or disable or modify, and this EEE issue is just one of them.

Frankly people need to simply stop buying Intel NIC boards so that motherboard vendors get the message, or if they do buy an Intel NIC then be prepared to buy a dedicated network card. Only a fool would buy the same potentially defective parts four years running and be surprised when theirs is defective. If Intel can't fix the issue after four years, then they probably aren't going to. 

post edited by kougar - 2023/03/11 12:46:39

Have water, will cool. 
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Intel Patches Stuttering Ethernet Issues, but It's Just a Workaround for Now (i225/i22 2023/03/11 02:28:23 (permalink)
    rjohnson11

I am wondering if they might have attempted to fix the issue using some setting tweek and instead broke the fix. That happens a lot.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Intel Patches Stuttering Ethernet Issues, but It's Just a Workaround for Now (i225/i22 2023/03/12 20:36:21 (permalink)
    As someone who works in the tech services industry I can say these "power saving" settings are worthless, they cause more problems and really don't save any energy.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile