EVGA

Hot!Intel Core2 Q9400 with 132-yw-e178-ftw (EVGA force 780i SLI FTW)

Author
MarkFalco
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2024/07/27 10:01:58 (permalink)
Hello,
I am still using an old PC with a EVGA-motherboard 132-yw-e178-ftw (EVGA force 780i SLI FTW) and Win10-64 (21H2 LTSC IoT). It was sold with an Intel Core2 E8400-CPU and 4 x DDR2-6400-2GB-RAM. The PC does for me what I want and so there is nor need for buying a newer PC (or using Win11).
But for use of VT-x (and a little bit of acceleration) I have replaced the CPU with an Intel Core2 Q9400.
After booting it works, but CPUZ reports only 1 Core and 1 Thread. In the BIOS (last version SZ17) I found in CPU-features the possibility to enable/disable the CPU-cores (0 to 3). Enabled was not surprisingly only Core 0. But after enabing Cores 1 to 3 the PC does not boot any more some secons after booting Win10 it stops and hangs and the circle is standing still. This also with enabled Cores 0 to 2. Only when enabling the Cores 0 to 1 (2 Cores) Win10 is booting. And like the number of enabled CPU-cores (2) CPUZ reports 2 Cores and 2 Threads only.
The CPU is o.k.; i have tested the Q9400 in another motherboard where it works w/o problems and CPUZ reports 4 Cores and 4 Threads.
So my question: What is the problem? Is there any other adjustment in the BIOS I need to adjust for 4 cores?
post edited by MarkFalco - 2024/07/27 12:15:22

3 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30689
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: Intel Core2 Q9400 with 132-yw-e178-ftw 2024/07/27 10:14:54 (permalink)
    Welcome to the EVGA Forums & congrats on your first thread

Make sure you change the history to "from the begining" to search the EVGA forums as "30 days" is the default time line

Check EVGA published list of CPUs  CPU and Memory Support 

then use this sub-link for legacy hardware https://www.evga.com/support/motherboard/legacy/

Now you need to follow this link (from the last link for your socket LGA775 MB): https://www.evga.com/support/motherboard/legacy/nForce_Intel_CPU_List.pdf

Check forums for information on modifying any MB for CPU upgrade on these old MBs

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

MarkFalco
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Intel Core2 Q9400 with 132-yw-e178-ftw 2024/07/28 16:26:08 (permalink)
    The issue becomes more an more strange.
    I have tested also with a Q9300 (both - Q9400 and Q9300 - are working on other PC with other mainboard w/o problems and with 4 cores. The same result: Working only with the first two cores enabled, on other combinations ore 3 oder 4 cores it freezes after some secons of booting, sometimes also with 2 cores. The same with other OS like Linux and old Win10-64-installations (1709).
    Then I erased the CMOS/BIOS-adjustments (power-off and clear-switch). When booting the first time (!) after this w/o access to the BIOS an old Win10-64-installation (1709) is starting. After rebooting or after access to the BIOS at first (also w/o changing anything and leaving w/o save) it freezes while booting, sometimes a little bit later. This default-BIOS-adjustments after clearing the CMOS are a little bit different reg. the CPU-features, but the main difference is that the "CPU Multiplier" is "Auto" instead a fixed value (e.g.8).
    Waiting a while in power-off and starting again Windows is booting (21H2 and 1709) and stays some time working in idle; the temperatures of the cores are below 50° C (in other PC / with other mainboards the temp a above 50° C but w/o problems). But after some time or moving the mouse Windows freezes again.
    What´s wrong with this EGVA-mainboard?
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30689
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: Intel Core2 Q9400 with 132-yw-e178-ftw 2024/07/30 05:22:03 (permalink)
    MarkFalco
    The issue becomes more an more strange.
    I have tested also with a Q9300 (both - Q9400 and Q9300 - are working on other PC with other mainboard w/o problems and with 4 cores. The same result: Working only with the first two cores enabled, on other combinations ore 3 oder 4 cores it freezes after some secons of booting, sometimes also with 2 cores. The same with other OS like Linux and old Win10-64-installations (1709).
    Then I erased the CMOS/BIOS-adjustments (power-off and clear-switch). When booting the first time (!) after this w/o access to the BIOS an old Win10-64-installation (1709) is starting. After rebooting or after access to the BIOS at first (also w/o changing anything and leaving w/o save) it freezes while booting, sometimes a little bit later. This default-BIOS-adjustments after clearing the CMOS are a little bit different reg. the CPU-features, but the main difference is that the "CPU Multiplier" is "Auto" instead a fixed value (e.g.8).
    Waiting a while in power-off and starting again Windows is booting (21H2 and 1709) and stays some time working in idle; the temperatures of the cores are below 50° C (in other PC / with other mainboards the temp a above 50° C but w/o problems). But after some time or moving the mouse Windows freezes again.
    What´s wrong with this EGVA-mainboard?

It is much easier to ready posts that have a few strategic spaces in them

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9400 = (Yorkfield CPU)

Your Q9400 CPU is NOT listed as compatible for that legacy - socket lga775 MB, per the links I posted previously
      ---> the Q9300 - you mention in the quote above ---> should work

NVIDIA nForce Intel Edition CPU Compatibility List

Overview

The The following processors have been tested in the NVIDIA lab with NVIDIA nForce® MCPs for Intel
    Edition processors. All the CPUs listed are fully supported by NVIDIA.

Yorkfield & 780i SLI

QX9650
    Q9550
    Q9450
    Q9300

---> You would need to test with one of the listed CPU's to determine if the MB is damaged in any way. 

Also, you can try to search the EVGA forums or the internet, to find any posts or directions that explain how or IF, anyone has successfully used your CPU & MB combination to work before.

my EVGA Forums search:

"https://forums.evga.com/search?searchid=1749715&phrase=780i%20SLI%20%26%20Yorkfield&high=780i%20SLI%20%26%20Yorkfield"

(in the way way back time machine I found this great thread from October 01, 2009)

OC guide that lists many different CPUs -->  P's 780i overclocking guide (moved from old Forum)

---> However, your CPU(s) are Not listed in this thread - OP starts with the Q9450

Have fun with your legacy build challenge

Come back & update your thread to give an update on your progress

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile