EVGA

How to completely reinstall X17 firmware?/Need help regarding BSODs caused by my X17.

Author
Timtee
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2024/08/08 14:03:28 (permalink)
As of I wanna say sometime last year maybe- I'm unsure how long this issue i've been having has been going for- but for awhile now I've been experiencing a particular issue which I believe is tied to a corruption in the firmware on my X17 I have, leading to the occasional random BSOD- every single one of which I have had as up to a couple or so days ago had the same exact set of codes for each of those BSODs.
The BSODs were WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR type BSODs, with the cause being something within the dump file that I do have of an instance of this particular issue I've got being "win32kbase!MousePerfSummary::CollectMousePerfTelemetry+0x8c:"

For a bit of clarification, I wish to believe that this corruption had at some point occurred either because of the presence of a dead bit of malware that hadn't be used in who knows how long by it's creator, or as a random thing that happened to the mouse on it's own. And yes I did ensure that the malware was appropriately removed entirely from the system with appropriate antivirus software capable of yeeting the malware.

I primarily come here to ask how I would essentially go about reinstalling the firmware as a whole onto the mouse- since there doesn't appear to be an option necessarily to easily wipe the firmware completely and put a fresh new instance of the firmware onto it. Or otherwise figuring out what I need to do to resolve this issue since it only occurs with the X17 I have (I do not have a spare mouse to test with to ensure it isn't corruption within Windows instead. But I do know that from using my controller i have to move my mouse cursor around- and also the numerical mouse thing in ease of access in Windows 10, that I have thusfar not had issues with any BSODs or whatever pertaining to this issue.)

If any of you have input on this issue and how to fix it, I'd gladly appreciate it honestly.

6 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30693
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: How to completely reinstall X17 firmware?/Need help regarding BSODs caused by my X17. 2024/08/09 06:53:15 (permalink)
    Contact EVGA directly for the file, After you register your product.
    Support@EVGA.com

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

Timtee
    Re: How to completely reinstall X17 firmware?/Need help regarding BSODs caused by my X17. 2024/08/09 10:06:34 (permalink)
    If I am to go the route of contacting EVGA support directly- is there some form of format I need for the email or...? (I just want to make sure before hand.)
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: How to completely reinstall X17 firmware?/Need help regarding BSODs caused by my X17. 2024/08/09 13:40:05 (permalink)
    Timtee
    If I am to go the route of contacting EVGA support directly- is there some form of format I need for the email or...? (I just want to make sure before hand.)

No but I'd be clear in the subject line to help get the information to the correct person.

The phone number, home address & email used when you registered for the EVGA Forums Account --> is also the information used for warranty RMA & other things --- that is the contact information EVGA uses

Send a short description of your issue & maybe reference this thread ---> https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3624526

Ask for a file to flash your X17 mouse firmware.

Please post an update when you know more or get this resolved

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

Timtee
    Re: How to completely reinstall X17 firmware?/Need help regarding BSODs caused by my X17. 2024/08/14 15:17:25 (permalink)
    Bit of an update: Was recommended by EVGA support to send in the mouse though um... Downside: Mailing things for me is not really possible exactly. (Mostly because price, and a couple of other factors that make it not viable for me.) Currently waiting on their response to me providing them with the info after their first response as per what I could give and further explain.

On a bit of a side note... Is it also entirely possible that, the WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR bsods could be a result of my cpu being potentially inadequate for using my x17 with?
    Cause I'd like to know, since the cpu itself is an AMD FX 6300, and upgrading to another architecture is not really in the books for me currently. (Aka to like a much more modern AMD cpu within the Ryzen family of cpus.) Though what may be possible for me is getting one of the higher end cpus within the same family of cpus and seeing if that'd work. (also plus my cpu has been used thusfar for like nearly a decade by this point so... It is entirely possible that- with the x17 plugged in, it simply just ends up bringing out the cracks big time because the cpu can't handle it.)

Anyways sorry if my side note was a bit... off topic to a degree relative to the main topic of this forum post.
    and also to further clarify something I failed to properly clarify(apparently) is that my WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR bsods I've been mostly having have all been tied to the image or whatever for AMD systems, which I reckon is essentially the thing that the cpu is using to well... work basically.
    While the BSOD type that the collectmouseperftelemetry thingy came from, was a SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION bsod. Either way, the fact that neither have reappeared since unplugging the x17 makes me wonder if both are in some way or another, connected sorta aside from both being caused by the mouse being present on the system.

Bit of an edit I shall make: One thing that I had been reminded of that I had forgotten was that- when I had gotten the mouse, or well rather when I was looking at mice, it was mentioned to me that the X17 was a unique in that it technically does have it's own processor- and that the chances of Windows and the cpu that I have, would not play nice all too well with the mouse. (Hence the whea uncorrectable error bsods, and the sheer number of them- which i wanna say I had at least experienced 20-30 of them, maybe more, because of the mouse.) The sad part? I'm not the only one either who has experienced this kind of issue- if albeit not exact for some users, but... ultimately, unless like EVGA themselves were to update the hardware to play nice with the likes of AMD FX cpus, then... I unfortunately cannot make use of a mouse like this- not on windows anyways, and as for Linux, I don't know how it would handle such a mouse- whether it would be fine with it or not regardless of cpu.

Anyways- I look forward to further responses regarding this mess of a situation I'm in.
    post edited by Timtee - 2024/08/15 02:49:34
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: How to completely reinstall X17 firmware?/Need help regarding BSODs caused by my X17. 2024/08/15 07:46:32 (permalink)
    If your hardware MB/CPU  works with W10 OS, then the mouse should not cause any issues if your USB port is functioning correctly.

Tested in USB 3.0 or 2.0 ports? 

Is the mouse plugged into a Hub, case or directly into the MB back panel or a USB card?

How are the USB ports setup in W10 - Power Options?

Any issues showing in Device Manager?

Windows Fast Startup set to Off?

MB's BIOS - set Fast Boot Off?

Timtee
    Re: How to completely reinstall X17 firmware?/Need help regarding BSODs caused by my X17. 2024/08/15 11:57:42 (permalink)
    Well, it did not matter what type of port was used- plus  also the fact that I only have two 3.0 ports on my MB, both of which being used by the keyboard I have however due to well, the kind of keyboard it is.
    Also mouse was plugged directly to motherboard at the back, which the motherboard has plenty of 2.0/1.1 ports to use, but only 2 of the 3.0/2.0 ports.
    As for how the power options is set up within control panel on my machine- High Performance setting with it set to not go to sleep automatically.
    No issues ever showed up in device manager with the mouse plugged in.
    As for if the fast startup stuff is on or off, I cannot say right now as of typing this post since that would require me to most likely go into bios- aka shutdown and reboot computer to get to bios. But I believe it probably *might* be off? Hard to say. I know that the one feature that often is a detriment to AMD systems, which was like AMD turbo something or another, is most definitely off. Cause I recall that such hardly even works for most systems anyways and slows down the system.
    I may edit this post later- or post at a later date in a later reply though if either of the fast startup things are on or off.

As for the mouse itself? It is entirely possible that it is a defective unit, however with it plugged into one of the other pcs in the house rn for the time being (Primarily to see if it isn't just my pc itself.) I can't really do any direct testing right now with it. However, what I can say is that originally when the mouse came out as far as I recall, and as far as I was told, is that Windows's drivers and whatnot, were not designed to work with mice that had their own processors built into them. I also do not really know in terms of modern mice, if the X17 and it's sibling models, are the only ones with such technology in them. But at the same time... It's hard to say for certain if other high end brands have similar technology or not in their mice as well.

Regardless, as of currently with a more simple mouse, my computer is running fine with little to no issues.
    And one last thing I wish to ask in this post before I await your next response... My particular X17, which I got through Amazon, which does have the label on the bottom- intact too(as it should be.)- does not have a serial number stated on the bottom of it... (Nothing is printed in the white section for like identifiers of the mouse itself for which one in the production line it is or whatever.) And I'd like to verify that- any and all X17 and it's sister models- should have their unique serial number on the bottom label, correct? And if so- is it possible that the one I have wasn't meant to be sold, and was perhaps a test model maybe or something akin to that? I just wanna make sure since the lack of a serial number being printed on the label on the bottom of it does concern me honestly.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile