EVGA

How do you test for a bad graphics card?

Author
Julie M
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2010/02/17 08:58:18 (permalink)
Motherboard, power supply, CPU, memory and case are all new.  HDD is about 10 months old but I can read from it when hooked up through a USB case. 

I have an 8800GTX that is about two+ years old and two relatively new DVD drives.

The computer starts up, boots to the Windows screen then flashes a blue screen very quickly and then reboots itself.  It does this a few times then shuts down.

My only other computer is a laptop so I can't test the graphics card there.  Is there another way to test the card?

Thanks,
Julie

16 Replies Related Threads

marcam923
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 378
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re:How do you test for a bad graphics card? 2010/02/17 09:18:58 (permalink)
    Julie M

Motherboard, power supply, CPU, memory and case are all new.  HDD is about 10 months old but I can read from it when hooked up through a USB case. 

I have an 8800GTX that is about two+ years old and two relatively new DVD drives.

The computer starts up, boots to the Windows screen then flashes a blue screen very quickly and then reboots itself.  It does this a few times then shuts down.

My only other computer is a laptop so I can't test the graphics card there.  Is there another way to test the card?

Thanks,
    Julie

First off, please list your system specifications. Motherboard? Power Supply?
    Do you have the PCI-E power cables plugged in?
    Also the quick BSOD when windows is attempting to start may not be video related. Being that you have something appearing on your screen, your video card is outputting a signal. Have you tried entering Windows Safe mode? Pressing f8 repeatedly upon the computer booting will bring up a dialog screen that will allow you to enter safe mode.
    Also did you reformat and reinstall windows when you setup your hard drive with these new components, and have you set your memory timings and voltages in your motherboard bios, or done any memory tests?

Please start with those things and we can work from there.

Thanks,
    Marc
    Julie M
    Re:How do you test for a bad graphics card? 2010/02/17 09:39:39 (permalink)
    marcam923

First off, please list your system specifications. Motherboard? Power Supply?
      I have a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard, Blackstone 80 Plus RX-600AF power supply, Intel i5-750 CPU with stock fan, 2-2G Ripjaws G. Skill memory sticks, Western Digital WD1001FALS hard drive (1TB) and Antec Sonata Elite case.  There are no other cards in the system besides the graphics card.
    Do you have the PCI-E power cables plugged in?
      Yes, I have two PCI-E cables plugged in to the graphics card.
    Also the quick BSOD when windows is attempting to start may not be video related. Being that you have something appearing on your screen, your video card is outputting a signal. Have you tried entering Windows Safe mode? Pressing f8 repeatedly upon the computer booting will bring up a dialog screen that will allow you to enter safe mode.
     Yes. It allowed me into safe mode for a bit then shut itself off. 
    Also did you reformat and reinstall windows when you setup your hard drive with these new components, and have you set your memory timings and voltages in your motherboard bios, or done any memory tests?
      No reformatting or reinstalling of Windows.  I didn't want to lose anything I had.  I did  that on an older computer and somehow I damaged the boot portion of the drive and eventually I lost everything.  No other settings have been made.  Once it turned itself off I was afraid any further tinkering could cause more problems. 

Please start with those things and we can work from there.

Thanks,
    Marc

Let me know if you need any more information.
    Thanks,
    Julie

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 13833
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re:How do you test for a bad graphics card? 2010/02/17 09:45:37 (permalink)
    Power supply sounds suspect to me, as not having the required Amperage for 12V rail to power up...

Also, sounds very much like a short circuit ( metal grounding out the system somewhere, making contact to the case or othwise where it should not )

3rd,..  could be that the heatsink is not properly attached to the cpu and is causing immediate overheat & shut-down..

2nd issue is the hardest to nail down & find , so start w/ possible error  1 & 3 first.. 

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Julie M
    Re:How do you test for a bad graphics card? 2010/02/17 09:57:10 (permalink)
    STEVEBABCOCK2002

Power supply sounds suspect to me, as not having the required Amperage for 12V rail to power up...

Also, sounds very much like a short circuit ( metal grounding out the system somewhere, making contact to the case or othwise where it should not )

3rd,..  could be that the heatsink is not properly attached to the cpu and is causing immediate overheat & shut-down..

2nd issue is the hardest to nail down & find , so start w/ possible error  1 & 3 first.. 

I kind of doubt it's #1 because this has happened with two different power supplys, one a month old, the other brand new.

I don't think it's #2 because the same thing has happened in two different cases.  Thinking it was something like a short, I just replaced the case.

When I installed the fan there was no grease and no instructions to apply any so I figured technology eliminated the use of grease.  But since I had a problem with the old system I never gave it a thought.

Before things got really serious (and this was on the old system) I was getting the BSOD.  It indicated bad memory was the problem.  I was running MemTest and getting a lot of errors when it suddenly shut down.  From there it wouldn't even boot up.  That's when I replaced the motherboard, CPU, power supply and memory.  It would boot up then but only as described above.
    richj44
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1073
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:How do you test for a bad graphics card? 2010/02/17 10:09:38 (permalink)
    Julie M

When I installed the fan there was no grease and no instructions to apply any so I figured technology eliminated the use of grease.  But since I had a problem with the old system I never gave it a thought.

Well, there's one problem.  Whether it's the only one or not I don't know, but you definitely need some type of thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink.  Without it, you will experience the type of problems you are now in fact seeing - the computer boots but shuts down as soon as the CPU temp rises too high.

Apply some (preferably good, but at this point any) thermal compound and see how things go.

MSI Z590-A / I5-11400 / 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance RAM / MSI 1660 TI / Viotek GNV32DB monitor / Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb / Seasonic Focus 750 Gold / Saitek Eclipse II keyboard / Samsung DVD Burner / Phanteks Enthoo Pro case / Windows 11 / Nothing overclocked
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 13833
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re:How do you test for a bad graphics card? 2010/02/17 10:09:57 (permalink)
    Well then,  If you have built 2 different systems and have been getting the same type of errors.......

(1) Either you are the unluckiest person around,  (2)  You are doing something wrong.... or  (3 ) figure that it has to be 1 of the components that has been used in both systems.   

Do note that the older GTX card takes a  PSU w/  28 Amps on a single rail and that Blackstone unit has split rails of only 22 A each...

The hard drive has also been used in both systems ???   You might want to consider trying another as well ... for testing...

I realize these things are hard to  Tech Support from across the country like this....

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    marcam923
    iCX Member
    Re:How do you test for a bad graphics card? 2010/02/17 10:10:05 (permalink)
    Ok so when you bought all the new components, the hard drive was 10 months old, but did you install the Operating system and drivers before or after you installed the new hardware.
    If you did not reformat, or reinstall the new drivers for these new components, what were the previous components that this hard drive was setup for? Motherboard/video card etc...?

Also what version of windows?

If you enter safe mode, and the computer runs for a short period of time, I would look at Steve's suggestions.

The rest of the components seem very nice, but do you have another Power supply to test with? Possibly your old one that was previously running your 8800GTX?

Is the case brand new as well?

First things first, if you are afraid of losing any data, and can read the harddrive via, USB, plug it into your laptop and backup any critical information.
    If the system does nto stay running for a long period of time, you may have an overheating issue or power supply issue. If that is the case please proceed to #2, if the system stays running fine, proceed to #1

Then insert your windows disc, and run the repair process on your operating system. This should leave your file structure and saved files/data intact and just repair the operating system. Then please install the drivers for the motherboard, and the graphics card. Look on gigabyte's website for updated drivers for the board, and click the above support link, then download drivers here on our site for the graphics card. Select Graphics cards- geforce 8/9 series - then your operating system. Start with this step first, if you still have the same issues, proceed below.

If you do not have another Power supply to test with, start by removing the motherboard from the case, and placing it on a piece of cardboard or wood on your desktop. Reseat the CPU cooler. (Is it the stock intel cooler or an aftermarket one suck as a Zalman etc...?)
    Next plug your power to your motherboard, and see if the system starts up properly. If not you may have an issue with your power supply. If it starts up properly you may have a grounding issue internally in your case.

marcam923
    iCX Member
    Re:How do you test for a bad graphics card? 2010/02/17 10:12:05 (permalink)
    Ok you guys posted before I got that posted.

If there is no thermal compoud/grease applied, SHUT DOWN THE SYSTEM and apply thermal compound immediately.

That is probably the root of all your problems.

After that is resolved please post back.
    vantighem19
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:How do you test for a bad graphics card? 2010/02/17 10:16:26 (permalink)
    Here's the thing. Basically you swapped your mobo, cpu and ram. Normally, perhaps back a few years, not a huge deal, however there are a few things wrong in this particular situation. Frist off you have radically changed the arciteture of your system. When you put all those parts together and expect windows to not try and use the old drivers and setting... well it does... even before it tries to install the proper drivers. Now what is happening with your setup is the old driver that are loaded regardless are not compatible with your new hardware. Specifically the motherboard. If you really honestly want to humor yourself then pull the videocard out and enable the onboard video in the bios. Your computer will still not boot into windows properly as a device driver with regards to your motherboard will still try to be loaded which is likely what's causeing the crash. Your best bet is to go to a command prompt and delete the windows directory and then do a install of windows. There is really no way around this unless you know how to use the non-user friendly repair tools that MS graciously granted people access too (laugh). SO... remove the suspect card from your computer after enabling onboard video in the bios. Try to boot. If the same thing happens then put the 8800gtx back in your pc and go to a command prompt and delete the windows directory. The reason for deleting the windows directory before trying an install is if windows detects an existing install it will likely need you to formate you drive... and since most average users fail to partition or invest in a second drive... you don't want to lose everything.  With a 600watt PS you should be fine. 8800 cards are not as insane on power as the higher end cards today.

Now to be clear... you MUST apply heatsink paste (just enough to cover the surface of the cpu with a really thin layer) to your CPU. 100% do that before turing your computer on again. Failer to do so WILL damage your cpu and Motherboard.
    post edited by vantighem19 - 2010/02/17 10:21:24
    Julie M
    Re:How do you test for a bad graphics card? 2010/02/17 10:22:25 (permalink)
    I'll have to go out and buy the thermal compound first.  Once it's applied I'll run the system again and let you know how it goes.

Thanks very much guys for the help.  I've been sick to my stomach about all the money I've spent so far and it still not working and thinking I'd have to spend even more!   No one else I've talked to has been any help.  I'm glad I found this forum.  You've all been great!

PS: Shame on Intel!  They didn't supply any thermal compound and made no mention about using it.  And Newegg wasn't much better.  They could have at least suggested it when I made the order (mobo,CPU, memory & PS).
    post edited by Julie M - 2010/02/17 10:28:25
    slayer_27
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2516
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re:How do you test for a bad graphics card? 2010/02/17 10:57:21 (permalink)
    marcam923

Ok you guys posted before I got that posted.

If there is no thermal compoud/grease applied, SHUT DOWN THE SYSTEM and apply thermal compound immediately.

That is probably the root of all your problems.

After that is resolved please post back.

I got away with no TIM on my old P4 system but on newer systems it is pretty much required. I could have just gotten lucky though.

CPU - i7 950 @ 4.2GHz 1.375v
    MB - MSI Big Bang X-Power X58
    RAM - 12GB 1600MHz G.Skill Sniper
    GPU - EVGA 980 Ti 1438/3600
    BOOT - Adata SX 900
    SSD - 2x Samsung 850 RAID 0
    PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W
    CASE - HAF X
    Heatware
    FireStrike
    Register using my affiliate code: EZQYYFBL7B
    richj44
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1073
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:How do you test for a bad graphics card? 2010/02/17 11:04:15 (permalink)
    Julie M
    PS: Shame on Intel!  They didn't supply any thermal compound and made no mention about using it.  And Newegg wasn't much better.  They could have at least suggested it when I made the order (mobo,CPU, memory & PS).

Was that the stock Intel heatsink/fan combo, or did you buy an aftermarket cooler?  I have never seen Intel *not* supply thermal compound.  Lately it's been in the form of a pre-applied square patch of grey goop on the bottom of the heatsink. 
    Edit:  I see your post mentions the stock fan, sorry I missed that earlier.  Did it happen to look anything like this pic of a stock Intel heatsink from a dual-core CPU?  I haven't seen any of the I-5's so maybe they stopped using it...someone else should know.  And it's always possible even if they do use it that they just blew it on yours.

post edited by richj44 - 2010/02/17 11:13:59

Attached Image(s)

MSI Z590-A / I5-11400 / 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance RAM / MSI 1660 TI / Viotek GNV32DB monitor / Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb / Seasonic Focus 750 Gold / Saitek Eclipse II keyboard / Samsung DVD Burner / Phanteks Enthoo Pro case / Windows 11 / Nothing overclocked
    marcam923
    iCX Member
    Re:How do you test for a bad graphics card? 2010/02/18 06:42:56 (permalink)
    vantighem19
      If you really honestly want to humor yourself then pull the videocard out and enable the onboard video in the bios. Your computer will still not boot into windows properly as a device driver with regards to your motherboard will still try to be loaded which is likely what's causeing the crash.

Even though the Gigabyte P55 UD2 motherboard is a micro board, it does NOT have onboard video.
    mdedrick
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 788
    • Ribbons : 18
    Re:How do you test for a bad graphics card? 2010/02/21 22:46:44 (permalink)
    No Thermal Paste.

Start it up, go into your bios right away, and check your temps, watch those temps hit 100c in no time.

~ Some intel lga775 board ~
    ~ E2140 Dual Core 1.6ghz @ 1.8ghz ~
    ~ 9800 gtx+ Core : 775mhz ~
    ~ 40gb ide ~
    ~ 1.5gb 533mhz DDR2 ram ~
    ~ 300w Dell Psu ~
    ~ Intel Stock heatsink ~
    ~ DELL 15" LCD 1024x768 ~
    ~ XP 32-bit ~
    3dMark06 - 7,100

dwoodward
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3069
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re:How do you test for a bad graphics card? 2010/02/21 22:57:42 (permalink)
    Are you sure that there was no thermal paste? It does not come in a tube, it is pre applied to the base of the heatsink. It is impossible for intel to ship without it there as it is applied by a machine in their manufacturing line.

I am quite sure that you have paste, just did not know it.

Register your Products! Click Here!
    Did I help you find the product you were looking for?
    Register your Product and remember to enter my EVGA Affiliate Code: JXE2Y5PH4K
    Thanks! And enjoy your new EVGA Graphics Card / Motherboard!
    Associate Code: 9KWI53WAR7PX3KS

Core i9-9900k | ROG Maximus XI Hero | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | 970 Evo NVMe | GTX 1070 Ti SC Black
    RBIEZE
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3072
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re:How do you test for a bad graphics card? 2010/02/22 00:36:30 (permalink)
    If you can find a spare harddrive disconnect the present one ,connect the spare ,and attempt to install windows.

My guess is it will work.
    Your previous o.s install isnt compatible with current hardware.

P.S
    As other have stated good thermal paste between the heatsink and cooler is a necessity for proper operation .

They say opposites attract. I hope you meet someone who is good-looking, intelligent, and cultured.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2WsPN-rr9o
    Evga X58 4Way sli,W'Cooled i7 950 @3.8, Mushkin redline mem @6-7-6-18 1600Mhz,
    2-Evga GTX770 Sli, Evga Gtx460 Physx, Corsair Neutron 120GB SSD,Samsung 240SSD, W.D Black 640GB /Corsair TX950 Psu, Hanns-G 28" Lcd, Logitech G540 5.1 Surround 
    My Affiliate Code: EECLVEDV7Z

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile