Hidden cost to Windows 10?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4336
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/25 12:38:23 (permalink)
Nereus
The only way around it is that they may instead force ads on you whenever you use the o/s, every time you open a new app, overlays on games etc., and they generate income from ad revenue, or make you pay a monthly fee to remove the ads, which in essence is no different than paying to have a subscription-based o/s with no ads on it.

As I had stated prior in this thread (as well as you pointing this out in your reply above mine) they will begin charging for the OS in many different ways in order to pay for the updates/improvements to the OS itself. They must do this in order to stay financially solvent. You may want to take a look at this particular article. It's interesting to see how many people are blinded by the fact that Microsoft needs to do something in order to maintain their profitability in the ever shrinking OS market.

notuptome2004
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 810
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/25 15:52:48 (permalink)
James_L
Nereus
The only way around it is that they may instead force ads on you whenever you use the o/s, every time you open a new app, overlays on games etc., and they generate income from ad revenue, or make you pay a monthly fee to remove the ads, which in essence is no different than paying to have a subscription-based o/s with no ads on it.

As I had stated prior in this thread (as well as you pointing this out in your reply above mine) they will begin charging for the OS in many different ways in order to pay for the updates/improvements to the OS itself. They must do this in order to stay financially solvent. You may want to take a look at this particular article. It's interesting to see how many people are blinded by the fact that Microsoft needs to do something in order to maintain their profitability in the ever shrinking OS market.

ok my lock screen has been the same for long time i have never had an Ad  come  up on it as  of yet and even if i did  guess what  Microsoft did the same thing with Bing year and years ago  so boo who ignore it  or disable it simple as that .  and you do relaise Microsoft makes more then  an OS right  so the fsact is with all the other service they provide software or hardware   guess what   they still make money lots of it  they are a Multi  billion  $ company  so the fact being   that giving away windows 10 for Free  upgrade to all of us the past  months  in to this summer is chump change to them  if they had made us pay for it  

Quite  Beching and moaning about your OS and just  use your system   
post edited by notuptome2004 - 2016/02/25 16:00:56
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4336
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/25 16:12:00 (permalink)
notuptome2004
ok my lock screen has been the same for long time i have never had an Ad  come  up on it as  of yet and even if i did  guess what  Microsoft did the same thing with Bing year and years ago  so boo who ignore it  or disable it simple as that .  and you do relaise Microsoft makes more then  an OS right  so the fsact is with all the other service they provide software or hardware   guess what   they still make money lots of it  they are a Multi  billion  $ company  so the fact being   that giving away windows 10 for Free  upgrade to all of us the past  months  in to this summer is chump change to them  if they had made us pay for it  

Apparently you don't understand that we are free to complain and disagree with the path that Microsoft is taking for an OS of which, by in large, did not need to be created this way. No, no I won't take your advice and just use my system and 'conform' to the updating/forcable upgrade that Microsoft is trying to push to all their 'customers'. Please understand that we, as consumers, certainly are able to discern what we desire and what is not desirable. Your attitude about 'just be quiet and conform' (and I'm just taking your attitude as a whole on this discussion about your disagreements with our assessment) is just the thing that will not only upset others but will, for the most part, keep anyone from taking your opinion seriously. Personally my clients are not moving to the new platform and won't, in future, support this company.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18969
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/25 21:08:34 (permalink)
notuptome2004

LOL, pot meet kettle.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18969
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/25 21:09:46 (permalink)
James_L
notuptome2004

Apparently you don't understand that we are free to complain and disagree with the path that Microsoft is taking for an OS of which, by in large, did not need to be created this way. No, no I won't take your advice and just use my system and 'conform' to the updating/forcable upgrade that Microsoft is trying to push to all their 'customers'. Please understand that we, as consumers, certainly are able to discern what we desire and what is not desirable. Your attitude about 'just be quiet and conform' (and I'm just taking your attitude as a whole on this discussion about your disagreements with our assessment) is just the thing that will not only upset others but will, for the most part, keep anyone from taking your opinion seriously. Personally my clients are not moving to the new platform and won't, in future, support this company.

+1

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

LJennings
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 535
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/26 04:33:42 (permalink)
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-subscriptions-arent-happening-heres-why/

The orange part of the furthest column right of this chart shows how much MS makes on retail licensing for Windows. Looks like it is less than $1 billion. This is consumer only, not enterprise.
Nobody upgrades their PC. Whatever OS comes on the PC is what people keep. This push for everybody to install Windows 10 will help MS. If people get to W10 faster, MS can stop supporting older versions faster. The number of employees can go down because they don't have to support as many versions (I know laying off people is bad, but it's a business), so MS will probably end up on the plus side of making money. Keep in mind, they are still supporting 6 versions of W7 (Home 32, Pro 32, Ultimate 32, Home 64, Pro 64 and Ultimate 64), 4 versions of W8.1 (Home 32, Pro 32, Home 64 and Pro 64) and 4 versions of W10 (Home 32, Pro 32, Home 64 and Pro 64) and this doesn't include Server. That's 14 versions of Windows. Once everybody is on W10, MS will only have to support 4 versions of Windows.

Heatware
i7 860, EVGA P55 SLI, EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC+ 3GB, Win 10 Pro 64-Bit, Crucial 240GB SSD, WD 500gig Caviar Black, Corsair Vengence 2x4gigs
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile