Graphics Card Availability

Author
PezzyDude
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/04/23 15:00:29 (permalink)
Hi all.

Every three years or so, I'll build a new custom desktop computer (new motherboard, processor, graphics card, etc.).  The last time I put a system together was 2017, and the graphics card I put in it (my current one) is the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC.

When I build a system, I do my best to try and "future-proof" it (even though, realistically, that's not possible ).

Well, I've stuck by nVidia-based graphics cards for a while, and specifically, the brand of EVGA.  I'm at EVGA's site, looking at the latest graphics cards, and that would be the RTX 3090 series, correct?

Whew!!  Those cards are around $1,600 to $2,000 dollars!!  Through the years when I've built my custom systems, I'm willing to spend around $500 to $700 dollars on a graphics card, but these new RTX 3090's are easily double that or more!

So, I was looking at the RTX 3080's: a bit more reasonable, price-wise.  But something I noticed whether it's the 3090's, 3080's, or I even took a look at the 3070 & 3060's: They all say OUT OF STOCK.

Is there something going on that I don't know about?!?! 

Well, I went over to nVidia's web site, and you can shop around for the graphics cards there (and they show them coming from various manufacturers other than EVGA).  Well, in the 3080 series, I did come across an EVGA one, the "EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Black", and I clicked on the Check Availability button, and it's available at Best Buy.  There was only one customer review on the card (and they did give it 5 Stars), and one negative thing they mentioned caught my eye: They said the card does not have a back plate.  Tell me, is that really a bad thing?  Does it make the card "ugly"?  Is it really something to be concerned about?

Thanks for any helpful input;
Pez

17 Replies Related Threads

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/04/23 15:35:51 (permalink)
    Both Nvidia and AMD GPUs are in extreme short supply.  EVGA uses a queue system for direct orders and the list for all models is long.  Nvidia's web site may show BB having one available, but it probably was bought seconds after posting.  Unfortunately you are fighting bots for the purchase.  Ebay, Amazon resellers, and other sites are asking for 2-3 (or more) times MSRP on all GPUs and getting the price.

This shortage affects not only computer components, but just about anything that uses ICCs.

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/04/23 15:41:43 (permalink)
    You might want to look at this link https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-RTX-30-Series-f113.aspx and peruse some of the posting to give you an idea as to what you are facing.  If you are willing to be patient you can get in the queue for the card(s) you are interested in purchasing and wait.  For some cards, people have been in the queue for 6-7 months.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/04/23 19:23:08 (permalink)

Moved to Hardware.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    • Total Posts : 59
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/04/24 06:10:07 (permalink)
    Flint 1760
    You might want to look at this link https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-RTX-30-Series-f113.aspx and peruse some of the posting to give you an idea as to what you are facing.  If you are willing to be patient you can get in the queue for the card(s) you are interested in purchasing and wait.  For some cards, people have been in the queue for 6-7 months.

As we are seeing newer models being pushed in, what happens if, for example, I only have a 3060 model selected? My chances of being selected are close to none?

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/04/24 08:18:37 (permalink)
    I don't believe that anyone can accurately answer that question. 

I had been waiting for the 3090 FTW3 Ultra HC to go live again, missed the first time when it was up for about 20 minutes, and have gotten in the queue when it was available on the 10th at 10 o'clock.  I have no idea when I will get notified to purchase that card as my signup time was 10:00:57 and there are about 800+ others ahead of me.  However, I specifically wanted that card to replace my 2080Ti HC, which will go in my wife's new build.  I wanted it mainly for photo work, some video, rendering, and P3Dv5.

Will I have the card in the next six months?  Maybe, but I'm willing to wait.

Abubble1234
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/04/27 21:36:54 (permalink)
    Flint 1760
    I don't believe that anyone can accurately answer that question. 

I had been waiting for the 3090 FTW3 Ultra HC to go live again, missed the first time when it was up for about 20 minutes, and have gotten in the queue when it was available on the 10th at 10 o'clock.  I have no idea when I will get notified to purchase that card as my signup time was 10:00:57 and there are about 800+ others ahead of me.  However, I specifically wanted that card to replace my 2080Ti HC, which will go in my wife's new build.  I wanted it mainly for photo work, some video, rendering, and P3Dv5.

Will I have the card in the next six months?  Maybe, but I'm willing to wait.

Eight months minimum I'd suspect, seeing as they seem to have the cards trickling into the queue. How quickly has it been moving?
    Theprophe
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/04/28 01:57:51 (permalink)
    as long as crypto is a thing, we are doomed
    SterisTheGreen
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/04/28 18:30:44 (permalink)
    Everything is out of stock at every manufacturer. There is a worldwide chip shortage. Auto manufacturing is also affected.

GPUs are also being bought by miners, but even if miners stopped tomorrow there would still be a shortage

Buying EVGA? Use this code at checkout for up to 10% off your purchase: ZT4D9972JE14HZW

Already bought EVGA? Register your product here: 

rudyjoe
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 102
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/04/28 18:36:51 (permalink)
    i blem the use of bots give us a chance 

•  CORSAIR CASE
    • MSI 1080TI 
    • CORSAIR 850W
    • CORSAIR SCIMITAR
    • INTEL I9-9900K
    • CORSAIR 64 GB 
    • SAMSUNG 970EVO PLUS 1TB
    • X2 SAMSUNG 870 1TB 
    KO0IAID
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/04/28 22:07:13 (permalink)
    Oddly enough, I work for large air bag manufacturing company and right now its make my life hell on the daily.
    Arztt
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/04/29 14:06:17 (permalink)
    GLOBAL CHIP SHORTAGE IS A ****. Waitlists are looking six months plus at MSRP so gl getting one this year. 
    PezzyDude
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/04/29 14:54:46 (permalink)
    Hi all.

I meant to check back sooner for replies to my forum post, but.....

Wow.

Wow wow wow.

Flint 1760:  When you mentioned in your reply about "GPUs are in extreme short supply" and "This shortage affects not only computer components, but just about anything that uses ICCs"......it triggered something in my memory.  Not too long ago, I remembered something I came across in the news, something to do with computer components, circuit boards, and....silicon chips, and how this was becoming a problem here in the U.S.A. because of an issue we have with China, etc.  And, how all of this has caused a shortage because we (USA) don't produce as much of these chips like China does.

Soooooo.....all of this didn't hit me when I recently started perusing sites online for computer components to put together a new custom build.  Looking at motherboards, processors, solid state drives, etc. seems OK, but then when I got to looking around at graphics cards.....I was wondering, What's going on?!?!  NOBODY has them available?!?!

And then that's why I put up my post here in this forum (with my line of "Is there something going on that I don't know about?!?! ").

And yes, this "chip" and circuit board thing is affecting lots of things and businesses.  As SterisTheGreen and KO0IAID mentioned, it has affected auto manufacturing and air bag manufacturing.

This "chip" thing has been going on for a while, and, not that it helped, but the past year or so of the pandemic has also had a detrimental effect on lots of businesses; that has probably just compounded and exacerbated the situation.

And oh, Flint 1760: You were right in your original reply; that RTX 3080 graphics card showing on Best Buy was gone fast when I went back and checked.

But since discovering this graphics card scarcity issue, these prices that I'm seeing scalpers put up, prices that are double and triple of the usual asking price....forget that nonsense!!

From some articles I've come across in the interim, I'm seeing predictions that all of this chip shortage stuff might finally start to wind down after the 3rd quarter of this year of 2021, and supply might start to pick up again.

Sure, I'd like to start to build my next custom system now....but not with the crazy prices I'm seeing out there, or, being put on this queue system you mentioned.

I usually like to get the latest-and-greatest when it comes to a graphics card I put in my system, but this is craziness just now and too expensive; the chip shortage stuff and the "pandemic effect" has seen to that.  But who knows.....nVidia may move on to a 4000 series card, and the 3090 series' prices may drop.  It could happen!!

Looks like I'll be waiting a while (at least the bulk of the rest of this year) before graphics card prices come down.....unless something miraculous happens
    Pez
    Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/04/29 16:22:50 (permalink)
    PezzyDude,

I started well over a year ago on two new builds for my wife I by deciding on and ordering cases (she selected her own), motherboards, nvme and SSD drives, power supplies, etc.  Then we had initial problems getting cpus as the i9-10XXXx series was in short supply.  Scalpers where working then and you couldn't get a i9-10980xe, or any of the others at msrp anywhere.  So with the motherboards I could still plan out my loops and ordered power supplies, radiators, extra fittings I thought I might require, etc., for both builds and over a period of many months, obtained what I needed.  The only thing I didn't need to order more of was hard line tubing; I really over ordered by mistake on a previous build and even with my bending mess ups, I'm good for the next decade.

I was able to finish my build and I put my 2080Ti HC in it with the plan that when the 3090 HC came out, the 2080 would go into my wife's machine.  We know how that plan turned out.  My wife decided to keep using her present machine, I just flushed the loop and it is still fine.  Her build is ready sans gpu, but it will happen eventually.

You might want to consider doing the same and getting what you can for a new build.  At least think about the direction you want to go as far as form factor (EATX, ATX, MATX), cases, air/water, and what not. NVMEs, SSDs, may become a problem with the new storage crypto system.  Custom loop components, fans and pumps, power headers, blocks, etc., are still relatively normal with some supply problems with raw material.

This is just an idea.

brandt1985
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/05/05 22:29:14 (permalink)
    I just ordered a prebuilt from cyberpowerpc, $2400 for a nice Phanteks p500A case with 4 140mm ARGB fans, msi z590 gaming edge wifi board, 750 watt gold modular corsair PSU, 16gb gkill trident z ram, 1tb pcie 4.0 nvme drive, core i5 11600k CPU, dual fan tower cooler with RGB. And a magical mystery rtx 3080.  They apparently don't tell you which variant of the 3080, you just get whatever you get.   I'm thinking of just selling the graphics card on ebay if I get one I don't want.  can probably pay for the rest of the computer that way.  $2400 after tax and shipping for all that.  Not terrible.  Not amazing either though.

If you really want something now.  prebuilts aren't a terrible investment considering they easily get video cards before us end users.  and you can either keep it or sell it easily.
    inevereven
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/05/07 15:24:19 (permalink)
    PezzyDude
    \

There was only one customer review on the card (and they did give it 5 Stars), and one negative thing they mentioned caught my eye: They said the card does not have a back plate.  Tell me, is that really a bad thing?  Does it make the card "ugly"?  Is it really something to be concerned about?

Backplates serve a couple of functional purposes: they can add structural rigidity to help prevent GPU sag where the weight of the card can cause it to sag (not all non-backplate cards do this, and heavier cards may do this regardless without some sort of bracket) and sometimes they can help dissipate heat from the back of the card. These are pretty minor benefits in general so I would buy that card regardless, especially in this market lol
    Zixinus
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 165
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/05/12 15:10:49 (permalink)
    PezzyDude should be glad that they have a 1080 to work with, that's better than most people have right now or at least better than what most people can hope to get.

I'm thinking of just selling the graphics card on ebay if I get one I don't want.

Don't. Do a casemod by replacing the factory fans with Noctua fans if you have to, but you may be looking at buying another prebuilt just to get one you want.
    hftvhftv
    • Total Posts : 59
    Re: Graphics Card Availability 2021/05/23 10:10:04 (permalink)
    I would say the best way to go about the shortage is to skip this generation entirely. We'll see improvements eventually, but I'd keep going along with your 1080 if possible.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile