EVGA

GeForce 8400GS and dual displays

Author
farscap
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/07/07 04:08:15 (permalink)
I recently purchased an Evga Nvidia GeForce 8400GS off Amazon.  It was a highly popular card, so I figured that installation and usage would be a breeze.

I am trying to display the desktop on two screens, as well as play movies from the Blu Ray player in the computer onto the second screen.

I have a standard Dell display hooked up to the DVI port. It works just fine.  To the HDMI port I have connected a Sony Bravia 40 inch flat screen television.  Nothing I have done will allow me to display anything on the television.  The computer won't even detect it, or give me an option to select it - just the vga port.  I am using Windows 7.  I have the tv set to the appropriate HDMI input.

4 Replies Related Threads

Sprinx
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 364
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: GeForce 8400GS and dual displays 2014/07/07 06:31:32 (permalink)
    farscapI have a standard Dell display hooked up to the DVI port. It works just fine.  To the HDMI port I have connected a Sony Bravia 40 inch flat screen television.

I think a lot of these types of cards will allow only 1 digital connection and 1 analog connection. For the digital connection, you must choose DVI or HDMI, not both at the same time. I can't find any real specifications on the web, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Try hooking up your Dell display with a VGA cable, and see if your HDMI to your TV suddenly works. You may just want to turn off your computer, unplug the Dell screen entirely, and boot up with just the TV attached to the HDMI port only.

I'm not really sure why they sell these really old DX 10 cards anymore, as you can get a GT 610 for the same price or a GT 620 for maybe 15 bucks more. The 8400 GS was released in 2007 (7 years ago, which is ancient in computer terms, especially when buying a "new" card). I realize you're not trying to play games, but still. To be honest, I was surprised that it is listed as HDCP-compliant.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_series#GeForce_8300_and_8400_Series

Regardless, try using VGA + HDMI and see if it works.

ASUS Prime X570-Pro AM4 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB DDR4 3200
    Corsair Crystal 570X | Corsair CX-F CX750F PSU
    Corsair Hydro Series H100i RGB Platinum CPU AIO 

Secondary Tri-SLI just-for-fun 790i FTW rig: http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=21014

ErinW
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 1149
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: GeForce 8400GS and dual displays 2014/07/07 06:32:39 (permalink)
    Try a different cable if you have one available, preferably one that is 6 feet or less in length, as well as trying a different HDMI port on the TV if it has multiple ports. If you have another device with an HDMI input, try connecting the PC to that and see if it detects. It may come down to a compatibility issue with the Sony TV.
    farscap
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: GeForce 8400GS and dual displays 2014/07/09 13:19:52 (permalink)
    Sprinx
    farscapI have a standard Dell display hooked up to the DVI port. It works just fine.  To the HDMI port I have connected a Sony Bravia 40 inch flat screen television.

I think a lot of these types of cards will allow only 1 digital connection and 1 analog connection. For the digital connection, you must choose DVI or HDMI, not both at the same time. I can't find any real specifications on the web, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Try hooking up your Dell display with a VGA cable, and see if your HDMI to your TV suddenly works. You may just want to turn off your computer, unplug the Dell screen entirely, and boot up with just the TV attached to the HDMI port only.

I'm not really sure why they sell these really old DX 10 cards anymore, as you can get a GT 610 for the same price or a GT 620 for maybe 15 bucks more. The 8400 GS was released in 2007 (7 years ago, which is ancient in computer terms, especially when buying a "new" card). I realize you're not trying to play games, but still. To be honest, I was surprised that it is listed as HDCP-compliant.

Regardless, try using VGA + HDMI and see if it works.

Thanks.  Had I known the card was so old, I would have never purchased it in the first place.

GT620 for $55.  I am assuming it has the capability of driving both DVI ports at the same time?  Or one DVI and the mini HDMI?

I will try your suggestion of using the VGA port instead of the DVI port.  I had not considered that option.

It could also be the television, like ErinW suggested.  Maybe I will try running the VGA from the computer to the tv's VGA input.  Though I wouldn't get any sound, which is a big drawback.

Gomez99
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2637
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: GeForce 8400GS and dual displays 2014/07/09 22:56:45 (permalink)
    The GT620 is capable of driving the displays in both configurations

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile