EVGA

LockedGTX 970 Black Screen Crash during game [SOLVED RMA]

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
xeyvian
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GTX 970 Black Screen Crash during game 2016/03/31 10:25:21 (permalink)
Have been having the same issues as well with my EVGa 970.

- Happens in FULL SCREEN games only; windowed games are completely fine (I run EVE and FFXIV windowed, I can run them 8 hours easy without a hitch -- both on max/ultra graphics [EVE can even go into 1k+ player battles without problems too])
- Problem happens even if I lower game graphics to minimal.
- Card not overheating, have graphs to prove it.
- I do see it spike 100% GPU. Not all the time. Most of the time GPU bounces from 60-80% during huge fights in PlanetSide 2, then it hits 100% and stays up there for a bit.
-
- Screen flickers and displays "No Signal" after 30min -> an hour.
- PC Still is on, and I can type / message / voice chat people in the full screen games no issues
- Installed Afterburner. Under-clocked, over-clocked, upped the fan speed to 100
- Clean/Safe-mode uninstalled drivers and re-installed (and have tried every driver on their site multiple times). Most drivers won't fix the issue, there are two that did for a couple of days then the issue came back.
- Bios update did nothing

Trying to figure out what to do next. Don't think I can RMA as I bought the card off of Amazon. Is this a manufacturer issue or a driver issue? I don't want to upgrade to say a Titan just to have the same issue happen.
CoercionShaman
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1788
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: GTX 970 Black Screen Crash during game 2016/03/31 10:31:35 (permalink)
xeyvian

Trying to figure out what to do next. Don't think I can RMA as I bought the card off of Amazon. Is this a manufacturer issue or a driver issue? I don't want to upgrade to say a Titan just to have the same issue happen.

If the vendor was Amazon, you can absolutely RMA a card you registered.  They are an authorized reseller.  A third party may or may not afford you that option.

What use is knowledge if there is no understanding?~Stobaeus
xeyvian
Re: GTX 970 Black Screen Crash during game 2016/03/31 11:10:51 (permalink)
Should have expanded on that. I didn't register the product within the 90 day period. -KR have a 3 year warranty I believe only if you register within that time frame (according to their website). So for now need to figure another route.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49170
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: GTX 970 Black Screen Crash during game 2016/03/31 11:47:43 (permalink)
xeyvian
Should have expanded on that. I didn't register the product within the 90 day period. -KR have a 3 year warranty I believe only if you register within that time frame (according to their website). So for now need to figure another route.

Even if you didn't register the card you still have a 3 year warranty. The 30 day registration was for lifetime warranty back when evga offered it.
malone209
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: GTX 970 Black Screen Crash during game [SOLVED RMA] 2016/03/31 14:51:06 (permalink)
It's not the video card.
I had my 970 for a long time while I was still on windows 7 and NEVER had an issue. I upgraded to windows 10 and that's when hell began. I would constantly get driver crashes...eventually the crashes went away and now i'll randomly get a black screen while playing CSGO (the issue happens ONLY in csgo). This is an nvidia driver issue, not your card. I've done a clean install / tested in a new rig...same issue.

Just funny that the entire year I had the 970 while using windows 7 I had zero issues lol.

╔════════Computer Specs══════════════════╗
╠►Case: Corsair Graphite Series 780T
╠►MB: ASUS ROG Rampage V Extreme X99
╠►Graphic: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW+ 4GB
╠►PS: Corsair HX1000i 1000watt 80 PLUS Platinum
╠►Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX
╠►Cpu: Intel i7 5930k 6-Core
╠►Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB Extreme DDR4 3300
╠►SSD : SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256GB
╠►HDD: Western Digital 4TB SSHD Storage
╠►Monitor: BenQ XL2430T 24" @ 144hz
╠►OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
╚══════════════════════════════════════╝
xeyvian
Re: GTX 970 Black Screen Crash during game [SOLVED RMA] 2016/03/31 15:13:13 (permalink)
Ya that is what I was suspecting; but for this long?! I've been through every thread imaginable in regards to these issues and many symptoms don't correlate to each other. Then again, bad relations between Nvidia and Microsoft now so I guess I can see how things aren't getting fixed in a reasonable amount of time; this really gets to me.

At the same time though, ATI chipsets are having similar issues. Back in the day, while these problems were not unheard of, these issues were fixed quickly. I've been out of the "Upgrade your GPU to the best" loop for a few years now, and come back to find issues more problematic; I surmise it is due to the amount of "features" all sides are trying to add in, which makes the cards unstable.

I heard back from EVGA support (within 20 min of filing a ticket), and am trying the steps. Hopefully I can get this working in the short term.

turnerbd89
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: GTX 970 Black Screen Crash during game [SOLVED RMA] 2016/07/27 17:55:56 (permalink)
I recently struggled with the same issues most are having here. Screen would flash black several times after playing for Dark Souls III or TF2 for 30+ minutes. Before I tried to RMA, I decided to give PricisionX16 a shot to adjust the fan curve. After cranking up the fan curve to hit 50% around 40C I have yet to have the black screen issues. I have a pretty airflow-friendly case but it is very possible that the OC on this card simply generates far too much heat without adequate fan compensation to run for longer periods of time. Hope this helps the rest of you.
kylecb
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: GTX 970 Black Screen Crash during game [SOLVED RMA] 2016/09/26 09:10:00 (permalink)
I was having a similar problem (I have an EVGA GTX 1060). Turned out it was just my CPU overheating (download HWMonitor or another program to check your temps). My CPU fan was not seated well, so I fixed that and the problem stopped.

This would probably be obvious to experienced users, but I'm just posting this in case there's someone like me who didn't think to check something like that. If it's an Intel CPU it shouldn't really be going over 80 Celsius.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile