GTX 1080 still crashing - fans full speed, monitor off

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Jszupiany
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GTX 1080 still crashing - fans full speed, monitor off 2017/04/28 10:42:35 (permalink)
redleader00
MMurphy37
Sajin
New bios & cooling pads won't prevent the 100% fan issue. The 100% fan issue was caused by faulty IC's. You can read about it here.

Both those links are talking about exactly what my EVGA rep said was not the issue. 

The EVGA rep can think that it is not the issue because maybe EVGA changed the VRM provider or the low quality of 4% of the VRMs was solved some other way. So, for them, the general issue is resolved because "EVGA support is not seeing 10 cases of this everyday", but this does not mean that 1 out of 1000 or 1 out of 10000 VRMs can't be faulty. I assure you someone is getting a faulty VRM in his card somewhere, and unfortunately it looks like it can be you this time.

So, what to do:
  1. Check everything Sajin said in his list above.
    • 2a.- If you can, test the card in another system to be sure if it is the card what is wrong or not. This is by far the prefered option.
    • 2b.- If you can't test the card in another system you have to guess. Try going to the nvidia control panel -> Help menu -> Click debug mode. This will prevent the card from overclocking at all (will run at stock clock). If the card works fine in debug mode, and knowing that the PSU is new and has way more power than you need, I would say you have a pretty high chance of it being a VRM problem with the graphics card again. You can also try to use different ports of the PSU to plug the cables, just to be sure its not a bad PSU port instead of the card. Of course it could be the motherboard PCIE slot not providing enough power, but you said the previous card model used more power, so why would the new one cause trouble using less power when the previous one did not?

I agree with 2a.  That helps to eliminate anything in your current system.  
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile