Author
Cookiezzz0
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/03/28 23:51:19 (permalink)
Hello,

TL;DR at the botom

I've been using my GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING for about 7 months now without any problems.
Since a week or 2 I've had games starting to crash and showing artifacts. (Some include, but not limited to: Overwatch, The Division, PUBG, Diablo 3,...)

First thing I did was DDU and reinstall the latest drivers but the problem still persisted.
Next was DDU and an older driver version, but no luck.
I formatted my PC, reinstalled everything with the latest drivers, still the same.
I formatted again, but this time with a new SSD since my 'old' one was still a Samsung 830 that bad been used for years now. Still the same problem.
I've pulled the card from my case, made sure it was dust free, same problem.
Tried another PCIe slot, same issue.

Yesterday my screen looked like the attached picture attempting to play Overwatch. After about 5 seconds my PC shutdown itself.

It's not overheating either. Both fans work and for the brief time any game works, the GPU runs at about +- 77°C

PC specs for additional info.
Intel core i7-5820K
16GB DDR4 2400Mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING
Samsung 850 Pro boot drive.
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 PSU

Anyone has any ideas on what is next?
RMA the card?

TL;DR
Games crash and / or show artifacts.
Sometimes the entire PC freezes.
Formatted twice, used a new SSD also just to make sure.
Tried old and new drivers.
Tried changing PCI slot on the Mobo.

EDIT:
Also just found another recent topic with the same issues as me. (Title: GTX 1080 Ti - Freezing with artifacts followed by black screen)
(Somehow can't paste the hyperlink here)

post edited by Cookiezzz0 - 2018/03/29 00:01:15

Attached Image(s)

24 Replies Related Threads

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/03/29 00:09:10 (permalink)
    Cookiezzz0
    Hello,

TL;DR at the botom

I've been using my GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING for about 7 months now without any problems.
    Since a week or 2 I've had games starting to crash and showing artifacts. (Some include, but not limited to: Overwatch, The Division, PUBG, Diablo 3,...)

First thing I did was DDU and reinstall the latest drivers but the problem still persisted.
    Next was DDU and an older driver version, but no luck.
    I formatted my PC, reinstalled everything with the latest drivers, still the same.
    I formatted again, but this time with a new SSD since my 'old' one was still a Samsung 830 that bad been used for years now. Still the same problem.
    I've pulled the card from my case, made sure it was dust free, same problem.
    Tried another PCIe slot, same issue.

Yesterday my screen looked like the attached picture attempting to play Overwatch. After about 5 seconds my PC shutdown itself.

It's not overheating either. Both fans work and for the brief time any game works, the GPU runs at about +- 77°C

PC specs for additional info.
    Intel core i7-5820K
    16GB DDR4 2400Mhz
    GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING
    Samsung 850 Pro boot drive.
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 PSU

Anyone has any ideas on what is next?
    RMA the card?

TL;DR
    Games crash and / or show artifacts.
    Sometimes the entire PC freezes.
    Formatted twice, used a new SSD also just to make sure.
    Tried old and new drivers.
    Tried changing PCI slot on the Mobo.

EDIT:
    Also just found another recent topic with the same issues as me. (Title: GTX 1080 Ti - Freezing with artifacts followed by black screen)
    (Somehow can't paste the hyperlink here)

Looks like classic GPU memory artifacts. You can underclock the memory by a couple of hundred mhz and see if that eliminates or reduces it using Precision or Afterburner or use the 'Debug Mode' In the Nvidia Control Panel. It will cause your GPU to run at 'vanilla' clocks instead of the SC clocks until you reboot. It accomplishes the same thing. Reducing the clocks to see if it increases stability. If so, the GPU is the most likely culprit followed by the PSU.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Cookiezzz0
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/03/29 09:49:07 (permalink)
    So I underclocked as far as Afterburner would let me.
    I also changed the PSU cables and slots on the PSU and it still died and gave artifcats while testing Overwatch.

Guess an RMA is now the only thing left to do?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/03/29 10:05:47 (permalink)
    Cookiezzz0
    Guess an RMA is now the only thing left to do?

Yep.
    Ben211
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/04/01 14:13:59 (permalink)
    Hey, I'm the OP with the similar post to yours (TItle: GTX 1080 Ti - Freezing with artifacts followed by black screen). It's interesting how we have nearly identical specs and we're having similar issues. EVGA sent me a replacement and it had the exact same issues. Currently running an overclocked GTX 980 with the CPU overclocked and no issues at all so it's most likely a faulty graphics card. Just doesn't make sense to me that the replacement had the exact same issues as I can't narrow it down to another part in the PC.

I'm currently waiting for EVGA to replace the card for the second time, so I'll let you know how it goes. Keep me updated as well.
    Cookiezzz0
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/04/03 01:47:34 (permalink)
    Ben211
    Hey, I'm the OP with the similar post to yours (TItle: GTX 1080 Ti - Freezing with artifacts followed by black screen). It's interesting how we have nearly identical specs and we're having similar issues. EVGA sent me a replacement and it had the exact same issues. Currently running an overclocked GTX 980 with the CPU overclocked and no issues at all so it's most likely a faulty graphics card. Just doesn't make sense to me that the replacement had the exact same issues as I can't narrow it down to another part in the PC.

I'm currently waiting for EVGA to replace the card for the second time, so I'll let you know how it goes. Keep me updated as well.

Hey,

Indeed, our topics are very similar, that's why I made the reference.
    I'm currently awaiting approval of my RMA.
    Once I have the new card I'll post an update.

Kind regards,

Cookz
    Jamie76
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/04/03 02:22:42 (permalink)
    Hi,

I'm having a very similar issue. My 1080 ti SC2 began crashing to desktop after a few months and the RMA card I received from EVGA had identical issues. Having swopped out my PSU, Motherboard, CPU and RAM - I can't thing of anything other than another faulty card. The card is stable on one monitor but crashes on my 3 monitor NV surround setup.

Kind regards,

Jamie
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/04/03 09:22:03 (permalink)
    Jamie76
    Hi,

I'm having a very similar issue. My 1080 ti SC2 began crashing to desktop after a few months and the RMA card I received from EVGA had identical issues. Having swopped out my PSU, Motherboard, CPU and RAM - I can't thing of anything other than another faulty card. The card is stable on one monitor but crashes on my 3 monitor NV surround setup.

Kind regards,

Jamie

Sounds like a software issue since everything works fine when only one monitor is used.
    Cookiezzz0
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/04/17 01:47:23 (permalink)
    Allright, so EVGA received my card yesterday.
    Status got updated to Preparing to Ship product.

I'll keep updating the post whenever I receive news or another card.
    northwoodslivin
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/04/17 08:18:06 (permalink)
    I hope my 1080Ti Black Edition I am waiting for won't be a dud! I am in Canada, and gotta pay 60 bucks to mail a card to the USA, then waiiiiiiit. 
    I will friggin snap if I get a lemon after all of this.. lol. 
    Cookiezzz0
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/04/19 10:35:55 (permalink)
    Ok, So today I received a GPU back.
    Plugged it in and so far it's been working great! (Only tried one game of Overwatch but it looks perfect!)

Now this is why I keep buying EVGA cards. Imo best customer support :).
    I'm a happy camper!

Hope any people with the same problem also get it solved.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/04/19 19:48:14 (permalink)

Bob5on
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/05/10 09:46:59 (permalink)
    northwoodslivin
    I hope my 1080Ti Black Edition I am waiting for won't be a dud! I am in Canada, and gotta pay 60 bucks to mail a card to the USA, then waiiiiiiit. 
    I will friggin snap if I get a lemon after all of this.. lol. 

That sucks!
    In Europe we're covered. They have to provide the shipping by law, even if they have if in their term and conditions, and we agreed on it, we're not bound to it due to the fact that it breaks the EU regulations. :P

Also, I'm starting to believe that EVGA has some issues with the ICX cooling (I have good experience with EVGA 1080ti FE, so I bought for myself from the same brand).
    My 1080ti SC Black had some very small oil-ish looking like leaks (looks like it's coming from the thermal pads which are quite exposed), as my systems are flat on the desks and not as tower on the floor.
    This card bailed on me last week and after some troubleshooting the RMA was approved. This system had stability issues since the beginning, but I blamed adobe for crashing while I was rendering overnight.

Since one card died and I removed it, the system stopped crashing.

The problem is that the second system started to have stability issues now, so I'll start scooping around for this particular model to see if they do have any known issues.

If anyone knows anything, please let me know.

Cheers!
    post edited by Bob5on - 2018/05/10 10:05:06
    akshat1984
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/05/11 05:56:51 (permalink)
    May be a driver or faulty GPU. Can be a particular application too. Get it checked.

Dimension2035
    • Total Posts : 6
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/05/31 11:16:34 (permalink)
    My 1080ti Ftw3 crashes at 78c, Gonna rma it at some point.
    nyarsulik
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/06/10 21:23:50 (permalink)
    Just picked up a GTX 1060 3GB and have the same issue.  Worked great for awhile (like a few hours) and then got the artifacts, and a hell of a time getting Windows to startup after (it would keep erroring out).  Luckily I just got this today so I will be taking it back to Microcenter.   I am a little concerned that it took everyone two cards to get this right, what are the chances this is a driver issue and not a card issue?

Also, on mine, the fan wasn't spinning at startup so that seems like a problem, it is unclear based on other posts if that is actually supposed to be that way when not under load...
    delaneyt
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/06/27 18:30:01 (permalink)
    Cookiezzz0
    Plugged it in and so far it's been working great! (Only tried one game of Overwatch but it looks perfect!)

I'm a happy camper!

Is your new card still working properly? My original card worked fine for the first 4 months, then decided to artifact and crash just like what yours was doing. Now I'm on my second RMA and still no signs of progress. I've eliminated everything that could be causing the issue in my system. It turns out a lot of people are having the same artifacting problems if you google "EVGA 1080 ti artifacting".
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/06/27 18:42:14 (permalink)
    delaneyt
    Cookiezzz0

I'm a happy camper!

Is your new card still working properly? My original card worked fine for the first 4 months, then decided to artifact and crash just like what yours was doing. Now I'm on my second RMA and still no signs of progress. I've eliminated everything that could be causing the issue in my system. It turns out a lot of people are having the same artifacting problems if you google "EVGA 1080 ti artifacting".

If you Google any particular phrase you'll get hundreds of thousands of results. A Google search doesn't discriminate for repeats. This is not to say there are not people with issues. But as far as I know, the FE based vanilla style 1080 Ti's are the least problematic...The FTW3 seems to be a common target for ire. Not unusual for factory overclocked GPU's.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

eng050599
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/08/04 22:57:25 (permalink)
    I just wanted to add in some additional details from my own experience with the EVGA 1080Ti SC Black Edition.

I first received the card in November of 2017, and things were fine until about March, when any time I ran a program that placed a load on the GPU, the system would cut to a black screen, and then crash about 30 seconds afterwards. I removed all the Nvidia drivers, and reinstalled them, but the same issue kept happening. Some other attempts to determine what the issue was:

1. Installed older drivers from Feb, 2018. Same issue
    2. Tried all of the possible slots on the motherboard (Asus Prime 299X Deluxe). No difference
    3. Used a new set of PSU cables. No difference
    4. Used the default Windows drivers. System is rock solid, but can't run any programs that require a dedicated GPU
    I contacted EVGA, and RMAed the card. However, the replacement GPU had a slightly different issue, and one that seems to be more common. Now whenever the card experiences a load, graphical artifacts appear onscreen, followed by a hard lock and crash. After going through the same diagnostic processes, I'm now waiting for the replacement of the replacement card. If I had to guess, I'd say that there's something wrong with the heatsink, but the artifacts are generally associated with the vRAM.

Regardless, there appear to be some significant issue with these cards.

I did find it odd that they didn't ask for any of the troubleshooting I went through with the second card. It seems as though it's common enough where they just process the RMA.
    SimplyDimi
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/08/05 00:19:22 (permalink)
    eng050599
    I just wanted to add in some additional details from my own experience with the EVGA 1080Ti SC Black Edition.

I first received the card in November of 2017, and things were fine until about March, when any time I ran a program that placed a load on the GPU, the system would cut to a black screen, and then crash about 30 seconds afterwards. I removed all the Nvidia drivers, and reinstalled them, but the same issue kept happening. Some other attempts to determine what the issue was:

2. Tried all of the possible slots on the motherboard (Asus Prime 299X Deluxe). No difference
    4. Used the default Windows drivers. System is rock solid, but can't run any programs that require a dedicated GPU
    I contacted EVGA, and RMAed the card. However, the replacement GPU had a slightly different issue, and one that seems to be more common. Now whenever the card experiences a load, graphical artifacts appear onscreen, followed by a hard lock and crash. After going through the same diagnostic processes, I'm now waiting for the replacement of the replacement card. If I had to guess, I'd say that there's something wrong with the heatsink, but the artifacts are generally associated with the vRAM.

I did find it odd that they didn't ask for any of the troubleshooting I went through with the second card. It seems as though it's common enough where they just process the RMA.

I’m on my 5th card from evga this generation so far, all have had a different problem along with 3 of them being unstable at factory settings. I haven’t been able to game in almost 3 months. Every card I get back seems to have an issue. 1st card 1080 ftw, black screens at random with fans going insane. 2nd 1080ti sc2 unstable factory oc, 3rd 1080ti sc2 unstable factory oc along with microstuttering. 4th card 1080ti ftw3 works fine for about 30-45m and then soft crashes and halves fps until pc is reset.

I have no idea what the actual heck is going on at evga this year. I know I’m not the only one. Even found a dude that said he had to get 7 cards from evga till one worked at stock settings. Completely unacceptable

(Had borrowed a friends 980ti which runs perfectly fine with no issues)

If this next ftw3 I get has another issue I’m just gonna go on eBay and grab a used 980ti till next generation comes along. I’m done with this stress.
    post edited by SimplyDimi - 2018/08/05 00:21:53
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/08/05 00:35:40 (permalink)
    SimplyDimi
    eng050599

I’m on my 5th card from evga this generation so far, all have had a different problem along with 3 of them being unstable at factory settings. I haven’t been able to game in almost 3 months. Every card I get back seems to have an issue. 1st card 1080 ftw, black screens at random with fans going insane. 2nd 1080ti sc2 unstable factory oc, 3rd 1080ti sc2 unstable factory oc along with microstuttering. 4th card 1080ti ftw3 works fine for about 30-45m and then soft crashes and halves fps until pc is reset.

I have no idea what the actual heck is going on at evga this year. I know I’m not the only one. Even found a dude that said he had to get 7 cards from evga till one worked at stock settings. Completely unacceptable

If this next ftw3 I get has another issue I’m just gonna go on eBay and grab a used 980ti till next generation comes along. I’m done with this stress.

Hmm, noticing that in you're saying you're using only 1.16v on your chip to overclock it to 4.2ghz? That seems pretty low for that clock. You're on your 5th GPU...on the same system...odds are it is something else.

SimplyDimi
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/08/05 00:46:03 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    SimplyDimi
    eng050599

Hmm, noticing that in you're saying you're using only 1.16v on your chip to overclock it to 4.2ghz? That seems pretty low for that clock. You're on your 5th GPU...on the same system...odds are it is something else.

Well low or not, I remove all overclocks when I get each card just to make sure. Even clean install windows 10 just to be sure there’s no conflicting programs. The 980ti I got from a friend worked perfectly fine with and without the cpu overclock. If a lot of people on these forums are reporting having to go through 2-3 cards to get a properly functioning one I’m pretty sure 5-7 isn’t that unbealievable for some unlucky few. Sorry if it sounds like I’m just bashing evga, after all I am completely disappointed, stressed and exhausted out of my mind trying to get a stable card. By the time I get a working unit the 1180s will probably be out.

Can it still be the system and not the gpus if I ran a 980ti for 4 days without a single hitch and even left heaven on for 12 hours.

The only thing that makes me think perhaps maybe JUST the last ftw3 may have not been the issue, is the new evga 850w g3 psu. And I’m only saying that cause it wasn’t completely crashing just halving the frames after running a bit. If I get the next card and I have the same exact issue the power supply is what I’ll be replacing.

Also weirdly enough the ftw3 I picked up was brand new but when opening the box I noticed the 2 cables that usually come in the box weren’t there. I doubt that’s normal for a “new” product
    post edited by SimplyDimi - 2018/08/05 00:59:59
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/08/07 23:10:25 (permalink)
    SimplyDimi

Also weirdly enough the ftw3 I picked up was brand new but when opening the box I noticed the 2 cables that usually come in the box weren’t there. I doubt that’s normal for a “new” product

Not sure if you have see the answer to this but according to EVGA (was posted here on the forums by one of the EVGA tech support guys in a thread asking about this, perhaps it was you asking?) but they are no longer shipping splitter cables with the cards as any current generation Power Supply being used in a build with the current generation GPU's will have to correct cabling
    eng050599
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2018/08/07 23:18:06 (permalink)
    SimplyDimi
    HeavyHemi
    SimplyDimi
    eng050599

Well low or not, I remove all overclocks when I get each card just to make sure. Even clean install windows 10 just to be sure there’s no conflicting programs. The 980ti I got from a friend worked perfectly fine with and without the cpu overclock. If a lot of people on these forums are reporting having to go through 2-3 cards to get a properly functioning one I’m pretty sure 5-7 isn’t that unbealievable for some unlucky few. Sorry if it sounds like I’m just bashing evga, after all I am completely disappointed, stressed and exhausted out of my mind trying to get a stable card. By the time I get a working unit the 1180s will probably be out.

Can it still be the system and not the gpus if I ran a 980ti for 4 days without a single hitch and even left heaven on for 12 hours.

The only thing that makes me think perhaps maybe JUST the last ftw3 may have not been the issue, is the new evga 850w g3 psu. And I’m only saying that cause it wasn’t completely crashing just halving the frames after running a bit. If I get the next card and I have the same exact issue the power supply is what I’ll be replacing.

I know that EVGA repeatedly indicated that I was to RMA the card only. Could this be the reason for your issues.

I'll admit that my 3rd 1080Ti is on its way from EVGA, and this doesn't speak well of the quality of the cards. As a longtime ATI (AMD) user, this almost feels like Murphy's Law X 1000
    evanyou
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Game crashes and artifacts 2020/12/04 17:26:41 (permalink)
    So I had the same problem.  The card was hitting max temp very fast and would freeze after +78C instead of reaching 82C using FurMark stress test. I would see pixels/artifacts and then it would freeze.  So I took it apart since it was past warranty.  When I took the heatsink off, I noticed that only 2 third of the GPU was covered with thermal paste. I changed the thermal paste (reapplied nice and thick for GPUs) and now the card doesn't reach above 65C and the problem is gone. Just save a 1080ti and saved a crap load of money.  Good luck and hope that this helps.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile