EVGA

GTX 1080 FTW ACX: thermal pad mod even at low temps recommended?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
pegnose
  • Total Posts : 62
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GTX 1080 FTW ACX: thermal pad mod even at low temps recommended? 2017/07/30 04:47:53 (permalink)
Thanks, baconiabun.
pegnose
Re: GTX 1080 FTW ACX: thermal pad mod even at low temps recommended? 2017/08/02 00:22:33 (permalink)
Yesterday my replacement hybrid cooler arrived. During the process of installing it, I found that the screws which go into metal threads (image below) are too big - their heads are too big for the holes on the backplate. Take one screw and it fits in <50% of the holes!

I had to take the screws from the ACX 3.0 cooler. But before I figured this out, I nearly voided the whole endeavor. I noticed a little resistance on screwing the first one in, and tried to overcome this with a little more force. Unfortunately, the screw got stuck and on my attempt to remove it I ruined the screw so that the screwdriver would no longer hold. Luckily, this was the first screw, so I could very carefully bend the backplate a little and rotate it around the PCB to loosen the screw. Hope I didn't break anything with the other threads on the bottom side of the back plate scratching over the PCB! Finally, I had to remove the broken screw forcefully from the back plate with some pliers.

Here is an image illustrating the problem:

The green ones are the ones drilling their own threads into the plastic shroud. They fit fine. The red ones go into metal threads, on the image you see the old screws from the ACX cooler: two into the water block copper plate, two into the VRM cooler (one below the back plate; see dashed line), one into the shroud (far left), and one into the rubber insert holding the hoses.

Two holes remain empty, as there are no threads underneath (see arrows). At the purple arrow I loosely inserted one of the new screws from the hybrid cooler replacement. You can see that it does not sit in the hole but slightly on top of it.

I am so fed up with all of this. This is ridiculous, EVGA.
4B91AAD8A56F4AA
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 379
Re: GTX 1080 FTW ACX: thermal pad mod even at low temps recommended? 2017/08/02 03:50:29 (permalink)
have you watched this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MepbdKc6m_s

post edited by baconinabun - 2017/08/02 03:54:33
pegnose
Re: GTX 1080 FTW ACX: thermal pad mod even at low temps recommended? 2017/08/02 03:59:22 (permalink)
Yes, I have. And this video does not change the fact that the screws don't fit. While the ones from the cooler set I had RMA'ed did.

Here an image, to the left the one from the ACX cooler, to the right the one from the Hybrid cooler replacement (now broken):

post edited by pegnose - 2017/08/02 04:13:36

Attached Image(s)

4B91AAD8A56F4AA
iCX Member
Re: GTX 1080 FTW ACX: thermal pad mod even at low temps recommended? 2017/08/02 04:16:38 (permalink)
calm yourself, i sense your frustration building again 

maybe take the backplate off again and check your screws, it could be something simples. while i know you may have already done this it's worth another look,

have you tried using the original screw that came from that hole when the acx was attached?

i'm probably no help  but it's always worth backtracking if things are not fitting the way they should, mine just to loosely tighten screws, have you got a picture of the length of the screws?

pegnose
Re: GTX 1080 FTW ACX: thermal pad mod even at low temps recommended? 2017/08/02 04:29:20 (permalink)
baconinabun
calm yourself, i sense your frustration building again 

maybe take the backplate off again and check your screws, it could be something simples. while i know you may have already done this it's worth another look,

have you tried using the original screw that came from that hole when the acx was attached?

i'm probably no help  but it's always worth backtracking if things are not fitting the way they should, mine just to loosely tighten screws, have you got a picture of the length of the screws?

You funny guy. My frustration never vanished, and will likely never do again with EVGA.

There are two different types of screws in the set. One for metal threads, and one for the plastic which are coarser. Do you really think I can't keep those apart?! And the length of the old and new screws is identical.

Of course finally I used the original screws. Which you would know had you read my posting.

EDIT: On the left the 5 screws I couldn't use. On the right the old one from the ACX cooler:

post edited by pegnose - 2017/08/02 04:41:37

Attached Image(s)

4B91AAD8A56F4AA
iCX Member
Re: GTX 1080 FTW ACX: thermal pad mod even at low temps recommended? 2017/08/02 04:42:56 (permalink)
pegnose

You funny guy. My frustration never vanished, and will likely never do again with EVGA.

There are two different types of screws in the set. One for metal threads, and one for the plastic which are coarser. Do you really think I can't keep those apart?! And the length of the old and new screws is identical.

Of course finally I used the original screws. Which you would know had you read my posting.

I think it's very obvious that your frustration with everything to do with your purchase is plain to see, but it does strike me that you are one of those something for nothing type of people, and for that matter I will no longer take part in your thread.

pegnose
Re: GTX 1080 FTW ACX: thermal pad mod even at low temps recommended? 2017/08/02 04:45:52 (permalink)
baconinabun
one of those something for nothing type of people

Whatever that means.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile