Author
litwicki22
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 533
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/08/14 13:35:51 (permalink)
Hi Guys,

I have scoured the inet for the answer to this but no joy! I get the green 'perf cap pwr' when gaming with gpuz. Anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance .Card is Asus Gtx 780 Ti DirectCuII.

10 Replies Related Threads

trabe3
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1203
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: GPUZ - Pwr green field on new card. 2014/08/14 15:19:51 (permalink)
    Do you have the card overclocked at all?  The "perfcap" that you are seeing would indicate you are hitting the power target.  Have you checked Afterburner or Precision and see if that is the case?  What games are you playing?  How are your temps?

System #1
    ASUS RIV BE
    4930K 4.5GHz - Kraken X60 push/pull
    16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz
    EVGA 780 Classified SLI - Pro SLI Bridge
    Corsair AX1200i
    Windows 7 Pro
    NZXT Switch 810
    ASUS PB287Q 4K

System #2
    3930K @ 4.4GHz
    8Gb 1600Mhz
    XFX R9 270X (for now)
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 16553
    • Ribbons : 271
    Re: GPUZ - Pwr green field on new card. 2014/08/14 16:43:27 (permalink)
    The GPU will always perfcap for one reason or another. It is not a warning. It is just info to tell you which specific reason your boost is not going higher.
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 63846
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: GPUZ - Pwr green field on new card. 2014/08/14 18:51:41 (permalink)

Moving to General Hardware/Non-Evga product.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    litwicki22
    SSC Member
    Re: GPUZ - Pwr green field on new card. 2014/08/15 01:44:23 (permalink)
    When I noticed the graph turn orange and blue with the reasons "vRel &vOp" showing up. That was after playing game. Should I be worried?
    From what I've read somewhere, orange could indicate an issue... but can't really find more about it

Card is not overclocked.
    Max temps during Far Cry 3 are 81C.

Can somebody explain me? Thx
    post edited by litwicki22 - 2014/08/15 09:14:19
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: GPUZ - Pwr green field on new card. 2014/08/15 12:24:04 (permalink)
    Are you having an issue with the card? If not, ignore the perf cap reasons. They don't mean anything on their own. They are only a tool for helping to troubleshoot an issue if you are having an issue.

The card will never boost to infinity.  There will always be a reason why it stops boosting higher.  When the card doesn't have a strong 3D load, the perf cap reason will be (low) GPU Utilization.  When it does have a strong 3D load, the perf cap reason will be either Power Limit, Temperature Limit, Reliability Voltage, or Max Voltage.  None of these conditions are errors or warnings!  There will always be some reason why the GPU will not boost to infinity.  The only time you should care about the perf cap reason is if you think your video card is not performing the way it is supposed to and the perf cap reason provides you with some additional hints.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2014/08/15 19:23:13
    litwicki22
    SSC Member
    Re: GPUZ - Pwr green field on new card. 2014/08/16 08:34:25 (permalink)
    Today i checked GPUZ after playing game, and shows me full of green colour, which is PWR ( limit by power limit ). So its there not enough power or its ok? Can somebody explain me? Card is ok or its something wrong?
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: GPUZ - Pwr green field on new card. 2014/08/16 11:06:01 (permalink)
    litwicki22
    Today i checked GPUZ after playing game, and shows me full of green colour, which is PWR ( limit by power limit ). So its there not enough power or its ok? Can somebody explain me? Card is ok or its something wrong?

How many times do I need to say the same thing? It is not a warning. It is not an error. Do not worry about it. It means nothing to you. If you aren't noticing any problem, then there is nothing wrong. There will ALWAYS be a reason and one reason is not any worse than another reason.

At what point are you not understanding me?

Your card boosts, right? And the boost clock never reaches 9999999999999 MHz, right? There is a reason why it stops boosting. There is always a reason why it stops boosting higher. The reason it stops boosting depends on the game, application, room temperature, computer case airflow, etc. If the card has plenty of load and is cool, the reason will be power (it reaches NVIDIA's designed power limit). It does not mean that there is anything wrong with your power.

If you don't understand, ignore it.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2014/08/16 11:11:19
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: GPUZ - Pwr green field on new card. 2014/08/16 12:37:46 (permalink)
    Let me try to explain it again. I am going to make up a bunch of values for this example because I can't be bothered to take the time to find real numbers. But the example is still completely applicable to your situation.

'PerfCap' means Performance Cap. 'PerfCap Reason' means the reason why the MHz are where they are and not going higher.

Let's say that you own a GTSRX 990 Sti Uber edition card and have Windows 11 installed on your computer. Let's say that your GTSRX runs at 500 MHz 2D (low load) clock anr 1500 MHz 3D (nominal high load) clock. Let's say that Windows 11 uses 50% load on the desktop and that the game you play uses 99% load. Let's say that the video card normally uses 1.0v at 1500 MHz (nominal high load in game).

Ok, so, when not playing a game (or when playing a different game which has very low load), the video card will run at 500 MHz and the PerfCap reason will be GPU Utilization (not enough load so no point in going faster).

Let's say that NVIDIA determined that the card should stay under 80c to last longer. So, on a hot day, the PerfCap reason would be Temperature Limit (don't boost higher because we want to keep from overheating the card).

Let's say that NVIDIA determined that the card should stay below 1.1v in order to last longer. When the card reaches 1.1v before hittint any other PerfCap, the reason will be Reliability Voltage (can't go higher without exceeding comfortable voltage).

Let's say that you decide to push the card to the limit and don't care about reliability voltage. You adjust the voltage up in Precision. Let's say that NVIDIA set a hardware limitation at 1.15v so that it was not possible to go higher than 1.15v using software. When you push up to 1.15v before hitting any other PerfCap reason (reliability voltage perfcap reason ignored by you choosing to override it) the PerfCap reason will be Max Voltage when it hits 1.15v.

Let's say that the card is only rated for 300w due to th3 card's electrical connections. When the card hits 300W without hitting any other PerfCap reason, the PerfCap reason will be Power Limit.

Do you understand now? There are a variety of parameters which the card is programmed to operate within. The first parameter it reaches will be the PerfCap reason displayed. Depending on the temperature and application, the first PerfCap reason parameter to be reached, will be different from day to day and application to application.

The PerfCap Reason is not an error message. It is not a warning message. It is for information only. One PerfCap reason is not better or worse than another reason. The only reason it is there is so you can figure out why one game runs at 1000 MHz and another game runs at 1200 MHz. Or why a game runs at 1200 MHz one day but runs at 1100 MHz on another hotter day. Don't be alarmed and don't worry about it.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2014/08/16 13:00:27
    garbleduser
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: GPUZ - Pwr green field on new card. 2018/09/25 23:00:07 (permalink)
    Is there any way to shoehorn more power to the card by soldering leads to the board at the different power rails? I'm confidant I could do it, if I was sure it would push up my OC'ing abilities. Is the purpose of this card not having any auxiliary power connectors just to create an extra limiting factor? 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: GPUZ - Pwr green field on new card. 2018/09/26 05:51:59 (permalink)
    garbleduser
    Is there any way to shoehorn more power to the card by soldering leads to the board at the different power rails? I'm confidant I could do it, if I was sure it would push up my OC'ing abilities. Is the purpose of this card not having any auxiliary power connectors just to create an extra limiting factor? 

Yes, and no. Yes, you could modify the card to accept more power, but you would need to do more than just solder more power input leads onto the card. The power goes through a step-down DC-to-DC buck converter and in that process is where power usage is measured. You would need to create additional buck converter circuitry to accept more power throughput.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile