GPU's underwater best route?

Author
I_max2k2
  • Total Posts : 69
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/06/30 08:38:21 (permalink)
Hi guys,

Long time no see! I've been pretty much AWOL from the PC scene for a few years, however I started cleaning up my PC which has 2x GTX 580's right now and an old sandy bridge which at the time was overclocked to 5ghz (under water with a 2x120mm XSPC rad), it seems not much has moved, if I can keep the same over clock on the cpu. 
I was almost going to give up on wc'ing, but with a change of heart I ended up getting a new EK XE 360 for putting the GPU's under water too (which will be one GTX 1080 at first and then another one eventually). My question is what is the more optimal route for getting the GPU's under water, get a fast factory clocked card on air and get water blocks separately? or get the Hydro Copper, since I'm going to put them under water, I would like them to overclock hopefully over 2ghz.

I also haven't figured the best way to do the loop, this is the original Kit I have from 5 years ago (time flies by). This is the rest of the system, I don't think I would need to upgrade anything else, from what I have been reading, but please advice if you think I do.

Asus Maximum IV Extreme Z, 2600k (i think)
16gb ram, 2x 160gb ssd raid 0 for OS (thinking about getting a PCIe ssd for OS partition)
Corsair AX1200, 800D (which I'm hoping is big enough to fit these 2 rads)

I've also read that with some of the waterblocks, we can't use the new SLI bridge, which ones do and don't? and do we need the new bridge or is it just a gimmick?

Thanks for help guys.

EDIT: I had forgot that I had a sig with all the details from my system (I'm getting old).

Ryzen 2700X | Asus CH7 | 2x16gb 3200Mhz CL14 | Custom Water | 1 x 240MM + 1 x 480MM EKWB XE | GTX 1080 SLI HC | Seasonic 1KW PSU | Thermaltake Core W100
Previous Rig
2600k @ 5.1Ghz bench/4.7Ghz  || Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z || GTX 1080 SLI HydroCopper @ 2100/11Ghz || Kingston 16gb 1600Mhz  CL9 || 480Gb Sandisk SSD Plus + 2 x 120GB OCZ Agility 3  Raid 0 + 4.25tb || Custom Water 240mm+360mm WC || Corsair AX 1200i || Corsair Obsidian 800D || 11k TimeSpy || 21k Firestrike || #59 8K Superposition

2 Replies Related Threads

The_Ether_Bunny
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re: GPU's underwater best route? 2016/06/30 10:45:09 (permalink)
    I_max2k2
    My question is what is the more optimal route for getting the GPU's under water, get a fast factory clocked card on air and get water blocks separately? or get the Hydro Copper, since I'm going to put them under water, I would like them to overclock hopefully over 2ghz.

I also haven't figured the best way to do the loop, this is the original Kit I have from 5 years ago (time flies by). This is the rest of the system, I don't think I would need to upgrade anything else, from what I have been reading, but please advice if you think I do.

16gb ram, 2x 160gb ssd raid 0 for OS (thinking about getting a PCIe ssd for OS partition)

I've also read that with some of the waterblocks, we can't use the new SLI bridge, which ones do and don't? and do we need the new bridge or is it just a gimmick?

Thanks for help guys.

EDIT: I had forgot that I had a sig with all the details from my system (I'm getting old).

All GTX 1080s perform near identically. Get the cheapest reference card and slap a waterblock on it. It seems that 90% of cards have no problem to hit 2GHz. And with water it will be far more stable and consistent.

Your loop if fine and when you add the second rad, temps will fall. But the pump in your pump/res combo is known to fail. Might want to get an upgrade.

The new bridge will only help (a little) at extreme resolutions. But they do look nice. The bridges that interfere with the waterblocks are the nVidia ones because of the shape.
    I_max2k2
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re: GPU's underwater best route? 2016/06/30 14:17:33 (permalink)
    The_Ether_Bunny
    I_max2k2
    My question is what is the more optimal route for getting the GPU's under water, get a fast factory clocked card on air and get water blocks separately? or get the Hydro Copper, since I'm going to put them under water, I would like them to overclock hopefully over 2ghz.

Thanks for help guys.

All GTX 1080s perform near identically. Get the cheapest reference card and slap a waterblock on it. It seems that 90% of cards have no problem to hit 2GHz. And with water it will be far more stable and consistent.

Your loop if fine and when you add the second rad, temps will fall. But the pump in your pump/res combo is known to fail. Might want to get an upgrade.

The new bridge will only help (a little) at extreme resolutions. But they do look nice. The bridges that interfere with the waterblocks are the nVidia ones because of the shape.

Thank you, thats what I'll be doing. That said, the pump has been okay for the first couple years I had used it for, if it does fail, I'll replace with something better, any recommendations.

Ryzen 2700X | Asus CH7 | 2x16gb 3200Mhz CL14 | Custom Water | 1 x 240MM + 1 x 480MM EKWB XE | GTX 1080 SLI HC | Seasonic 1KW PSU | Thermaltake Core W100
    Previous Rig
    2600k @ 5.1Ghz bench/4.7Ghz  || Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z || GTX 1080 SLI HydroCopper @ 2100/11Ghz || Kingston 16gb 1600Mhz  CL9 || 480Gb Sandisk SSD Plus + 2 x 120GB OCZ Agility 3  Raid 0 + 4.25tb || Custom Water 240mm+360mm WC || Corsair AX 1200i || Corsair Obsidian 800D || 11k TimeSpy || 21k Firestrike || #59 8K Superposition

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile